Anyone used the air compressor from a Lincoln town car?

makya

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience with those compressors is that they will put out the pressure that we need for bags, but produce very little volume. Might work ok if you ran two of them in parallel while uitilizing a holding tank.

Would not be good for any up/down bag action, only the occasional use.

Really, the compressor takes about 3 minutes to inflate the rear of the lincoln if you deflate the factory bags. Thats just to get it to ride height.

Jason

How about useing an old air conditioning pump. Just make sure that you use a "York" type pump. The NON-York pumps don't have any stored lubrication in them. They get their lubrication from the freon(?) itself. They work, but not for long.

Jester

I knew a guy that used an old ford a/c compressor on his wrecker for air like for tires.

It worked great but was slow.

I worked for Ford for 5 years and we replaced ALOT of pumps on Lincolns. Not very dependable

Knowing that, I think I would use the largest tank I could find for maximum volume.

tc

Spend a bit more & get a compressor made for the job. http://www.suicidedoors.com sells many different brands & sizes depending on what setup you are running. Ive seen the York pumps used before, a custom bracket will need to be fabbed to hold it. Check over @ http://www.nissancustoms.com & do a search for "york compressors"...lots of good info there.

Caddys and some Buicks had a 12 volt compressor too. Very little volume, but like a dripping tap it would eventually fill a bath tub. Get the biggest tank you could to store some volume and let it refill during down time. continuous use like this may shorten it's life though. Car air con. pumps might work, but yeah most use freon oil mix to lube and peep them cool. Chrysler used to have a double piston compressor unlike the rotary vanes of to-day. Looked like a home compressor actually.

I made a home compressor out of a hotel ice maker. It would take some time but would fill my compressor tank. On the 4th or 5th fill it slowed down and seized up. Maybe an oil drip on the intake? Oh well, cost nothing to try.

I've converted York pumps to run as air compressors. It's cheap to do,the problem is space. I already have a/c in the truck, so there's no more room(remember, this is Cali., I have to keep the smog pump).

I was hoping to find a cheap alternative that won't pull a lot of amperage, I don't care if it's slow, it won't be used a lot.

Okay guys, I just got this off of another website I'm on:

from 84-92 Lincoln mark VII' date=' drivers side engine bay, late 89-9? continental is in the engine bay, not sure on Towncars, 93-98 Lincoln MarkVIII's, it is behind the fender I want to say passenger side, The pumps are slow, but seem to be pretty reliable if used occasionally, they are not a constant use pump, that will wear them out and burn them up.[/quote']

Yorks aren't bad, you just have to really know what you're doing to make one last, making sure it has an oiling system. If I wanted speed and heavy use, I'd go York. I can build one with a pressure switch, gauge, tank, and air chucks to run air tools for under $200.

But like I said earlier, I don't have the space for a York. I already have A/C, and I can't get rid of my smog pump. Plus, if I run a ViAir or similar, I have to worry about amp draw.