Installing an electronic dist ?

wildmaninid

Hey guys. Got an electronic dist. off of my 79 parts truck for my 77. I know that the 2 wires go to either side of the coil, but I am wondering what one where, and do I need to take the coil resistor out of the loop, or do i need to use the electronic coil too?

Just a few Q's. I will have truck project pics up this weekend, I know you all want pics all the damn time.....well I will have wildblue internet FINALLY away from dialup!

Thanks for the help

Bill

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to bypass the T-plug unless you're confident in rewiring the wires on the other side of the T-plug. The T-plug had wires for each set of points; one goes right back to the coil but the other goes through a series of switches for operation of the other set of points. Since that won't provide "ground" it's not going to work the way you want it to.

Thanks.......I should have just searched for the write up.......more detailed than I needed since i have been doing this for years.......I just totally brain farted on wich terminal went to what side of the coil. I am gonna do my swap-over this afternoon......I was lucky enough to get the pigtail for the matchbox, and I have a very factory looking harness made up for it.......looking forward to it, I haven't driven a datsunwith points for this long, now i remembered why I hate points.......rough idle, poor accel.............

Thanks tons guys

Bill

if you put both wires on the same side of the ballast (or just remove it!) it will be even betterer.

why limit the spark?

I totally agree with that! For some reason that I can't remember, I left the resistor on. Right now I am kinda the mind set that if it works, LEAVE THE DAM MOFO ALONE!! :D

When I dropped the '79 Dizzy into my '71 it was running way too high of voltage to the distributor without the resistor in place. I checked the Datsun specs and felt better about loosing +/- .2 horsepower than making all those tender little electronic parts labor under the potential increased heat of the higher voltage.

Now.....having said that... :rolleyes:

I'll bet that it would have been fine. I was heading out on a 3000 mile road trip to Cali the next day...(I know, I know <_< :huh: :unsure: :rolleyes: )and wanted to play it super safe.

What a huge improvement though! Smoother power, way better mpg.

This post reminded me of a question I had and forgot until now.

I am very close to starting up my truck after painting and swapping engine and 5 speed from my '78 parts truck into '76 620. I have taken the Wiring harness out of the '78 and put it in the '76.

Well it is the remote EI dizzy setup not matchbox.

Can I run this with out the resistor then?

Also, the coil on the '78 had "made in the usa" on it... so 99.9% it is aftermarket.

Am I going to be ok to use the coil off my '76 with the remote EI dizzy setup from the '78 with out a resistor?

This post reminded me of a question I had and forgot until now.

I am very close to starting up my truck after painting and swapping engine and 5 speed from my '78 parts truck into '76 620. I have taken the Wiring harness out of the '78 and put it in the '76.

Well it is the remote EI dizzy setup not matchbox.

Can I run this with out the resistor then?

Also, the coil on the '78 had "made in the usa" on it... so 99.9% it is aftermarket.

Am I going to be ok to use the coil off my '76 with the remote EI dizzy setup from the '78 with out a resistor?

The remote igniter is identical in operation to the matchbox. Instead of a small box on the side of the dizzy there is a larger box under the dash.

You shouldn't run a points coil with any EI dizzy, they will over heat from the extra voltage (12v) Points coils have a ballast resister to drop the running voltage to about 8v. You could run the points coil if you keep and use the ballast resister. Otherwise get an EI coil that can handle the full 12 volts and produce a higher voltage output because of this.

If the coil on the '78 worked, it will work on the '76 with the '78 dizzy. Don't use a resister.