Junk Yards with dealer prices

Well spent another Sunday morning tramping through our local Pick The Part here in Santa Paula. Just for the record they have a pretty complete '85 720. I looked it over as I needed some seat belts and it had some fairly nice ones. The beauty of this particular yard is they do not know what they have so you can not call them and say I am looking for such and such, they charge $2 just to get in, you have to sign a waiver on the way in, get belongings checked and then have no prices posted. So you end up paying to get in, hopefully find what you need and then take it to the front to find you can get new stuff cheaper online!

Two weeks ago I found some door panels and a glove box door and they wanted $25 for each piece. Mind you these were in bad shape and I just wanted to use them as a template so put them back. Today I pulled the seat belts from the '85 and got to the cashier and she was like $80 and another $16 for the interior door handles!! Needless to say, all went back again. Ebay has new belts for $80 shipped and door handles for $6.

While I expect to pay a fair price for things, they have a business to run too, I can not understand why they would rather charge ridiculous prices and not get this stuff back in use versus wasting it. You should see their returns tables, I know I am not the only one surprised here on a regular basis.

Sad part is the '85 had one of the most perfect beds I have seen on such an older truck, but I am afraid to ask how much. That bed was straight and paint was almost flawless!!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ Yeah , it is shocking sometimes , but 3/4 times I "bargain fairly" , and find that the first price they ask is not set in stone.

One time I wen't to get a headlight for my subaru loyale , guy said $100 , I about popped and said "your price board indicates no more than $25 , didn't catch your name again (as I got out my camera phone) ?" guy looked like he was going to shit a brick , and then said $2 ( true story)

---> A lot of these places I think employee's skim off the top ! (Tax Free to) <---

Well spent another Sunday morning tramping through our local Pick The Part here in Santa Paula. Just for the record they have a pretty complete '85 720. I looked it over as I needed some seat belts and it had some fairly nice ones. The beauty of this particular yard is they do not know what they have so you can not call them and say I am looking for such and such, they charge $2 just to get in, you have to sign a waiver on the way in, get belongings checked and then have no prices posted. So you end up paying to get in, hopefully find what you need and then take it to the front to find you can get new stuff cheaper online!

Two weeks ago I found some door panels and a glove box door and they wanted $25 for each piece. Mind you these were in bad shape and I just wanted to use them as a template so put them back. Today I pulled the seat belts from the '85 and got to the cashier and she was like $80 and another $16 for the interior door handles!! Needless to say, all went back again. Ebay has new belts for $80 shipped and door handles for $6.

While I expect to pay a fair price for things, they have a business to run too, I can not understand why they would rather charge ridiculous prices and not get this stuff back in use versus wasting it. You should see their returns tables, I know I am not the only one surprised here on a regular basis.

Sad part is the '85 had one of the most perfect beds I have seen on such an older truck, but I am afraid to ask how much. That bed was straight and paint was almost flawless!!

So....I'm assuming that the parts box I have packed (ready to be shipped) is all in vain...?????.....excellent.

FYI....most of the 'new' parts sold on Ebay for the 720 are garbage. Not OEM/NOS.....made in China and or.

^^^ Yeah , it is shocking sometimes , but 3/4 times I "bargain fairly" , and find that the first price they ask is not set in stone.

One time I wen't to get a headlight for my subaru loyale , guy said $100 , I about popped and said "your price board indicates no more than $25 , didn't catch your name again (as I got out my camera phone) ?" guy looked like he was going to shit a brick , and then said $2 ( true story)

---> A lot of these places I think employee's skim off the top ! (Tax Free to) <---

They try the same SHIT around here! Tried to charge $180 for a "4x4 Front Axle Assembly" which was on thier price list for $80. Said he had to charge me for the Ujoints, knuckles, Caliper mounts, yoke, and hubs. I Said "The list says AXLE ASSEMBLY $80". He stated that if I didnt want it I was to go put it Back by the Jeep it came out of. I told him that I would have to charge him an $80 restock fee and walked away laughing. Called the owner the next day and got it fo the List price! Talk to the most important person you can, they usually are reasonalbe!

Happy Hunting!

Dave

They try the same SHIT around here! Tried to charge $180 for a "4x4 Front Axle Assembly" which was on thier price list for $80. Said he had to charge me for the Ujoints, knuckles, Caliper mounts, yoke, and hubs. I Said "The list says AXLE ASSEMBLY $80". He stated that if I didnt want it I was to go put it Back by the Jeep it came out of. I told him that I would have to charge him an $80 restock fee and walked away laughing. Called the owner the next day and got it fo the List price! Talk to the most important person you can, they usually are reasonalbe!

Happy Hunting!

Dave

Correct.

Well spent another Sunday morning tramping through our local Pick The Part here in Santa Paula.

i try to go there at least 1/mo

last time i was there, only 1 datsun, which happily dropped the fiber optic light assembly in my pocket.

also scored some like new window seals from a wagon last year! :D

the same lady is usually the cashier, shes good on IDing parts. if i call it something cheaper, i can often get it as that item ;)

A few yards around here won't even let you in the yard. If exactly what you're looking for(make, model, year, and exact part description) doesn't show up on their little computer, they tell you you're out of luck.

"Can't I even go in and look around?"

"Nope".

Have fun going out of business, jerk-off. :fu:

Wow, I found a junkyard here that lets me just wander and wander until I am about to die of a heat stroke. I found two old side view mirrors off of a sixties or fifties chevy or ford and he charged me $5 a mirror. They are the cool box truck mirrors, but like, miniatures. Very perfect.

And then I found a '77 datsun pickup that had a pretty damn good lookin seat in it and he only charged me 30 dollars for it! I was a happy camper. As long as I have the tools to yank shit out and am capable, dude doesn't seem to mind!

I get my $2 every time :lol: even if I dont find the stuff I came for :P

^^^ :rofl: , I tested a couple of theory's on windows/fenders why I was in there , well worth the $2 :unsure: :lol:

good thing they dont weigh me on the way in! :P

^^^ :rofl: , I use to bring in "sample parts" with me and confuse the shit out of them when they inspected the tool box on the way out.

Happy Hunting!

Dave

Ya , I have a theory that some of those employee's are told to do that , some skim off the top , ....but even if the manager/owner or whatever gives us the price "advertised"... he still win since he looks like the "Good Guy" or gets away with "OverCharging" !!! :sick: Thanks for sharing man , always appreciated :thumbup:

I love the junk yard up here that I visit. They don't have hardly any Datsun parts, but they got PLENTY of old shit that I love to examine closer when i get home ;)

They let me out there in the yard whenever. Prices are great too! Payed $100 for my Z31 power seats.

So....I'm assuming that the parts box I have packed (ready to be shipped) is all in vain...?????.....excellent.

FYI....most of the 'new' parts sold on Ebay for the 720 are garbage. Not OEM/NOS.....made in China and or.

No it is not in vain. As I told you my budget was spent on the re-upholstery of my seat. Had not heard from you in a while and moved forward. I am looking for parts for my daughters wrecked Sentra and came across a clean 720. Thought I could afford a few small ends but as mentioned their prices put it back into the waste can. Hang in there, still interested.

All this boneyard talk just triggered something.There was a guy on here who found a boneyard some where in Arizona that shut down in 1985 but still had all the cars there.Anyone remember who this was and what became of it?

I think he was lost to the sands of time as well as that yard :lol: