Big Bore 2.3

slammed620

Has anyone ever completed this setup? ive been searching through multiple forums and never seem to find anyone that is running it or has..

the setup is a l20b block, bored .4mm over, ka24e pistons, z22 crank, stock l20b rods, with a u67 head the compression is said to be 9.9:1

sounds like a bad setup to me, anyone know anyone thats done this? or failed? or any info at all?

thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you, I searched all over to find someone who was actually actively running this setup. As much as it gets talked about, and how "common/popular/etc.." of a build it is, I haven't run into anyone yet who's actually gone through with it... alot of people claim that they'd like to do it, or are gonna do it, "had a buddy who...", but nobody's been able to "show me the money" as of yet. I gave up and went for the LZ22. I just honed everything, now all I have to do is hot tank and assemble it. Good luck on your search.

Hey, here's an idea: why don't you build it, so when people like you or myself are curious and have questions about it, there'll be a real-live, flesh and bone person that can actually be asked about it. Urban myths and legends just don't cut it when it comes to things like engine builds. Dyno sheets would be awesome once you get it together.

Yeah, i plan on it, kinda just wanted to make sure no one had attempted it and failed. i guess i dont see what wouldn't work.

we'll see! all i need is the z22 crank and ka pistons, i got the block already down and ready to be tested and bored.

I guess I can say I have this motor setup. it was built by rebello racing for my friend when he owned the car. From what I remember he called it a long rod motor using ka pistons and his head work and dual 45 sk's and his cam. I can tell you it makes good power and torque for a street car and I can drive it well for san francisco streets. I have to use 91 octane all the time though. I am using a pertronix set up for it with a nissan comp header. it does idle decent and not bad for a carbed motor. I think this motor with fuel injection would be sweet or maybe just go KA motor with fuel injection.

I had looked at doing this, but with talking with my machinist, he was concerned that the pistons would be sitting too low in the bore, which could cause detonation issues. Ideally you want to have the pistons as close to the top of the bore as you can. where as with KA/Z24 pistons they will be sitting 1.5mm down the bore.

I feel this is an area that is up for great debate, but i trusted my machinist and just went with a LZ22 that is now zero decked.

The low 1.55mm deck height allows the lower compression. I don't see where this would cause detonation. The piston top becomes the 'new' deck and the top part of the cylinder becomes a 'new' part of a larger combustion chamber. Maybe I'll build one 'some day' and let you know? biggrin.gif

benzo, do you have any idea at what horse power your sitting at? and where did you get your header?

btw, my l20b block is going in for machine work next thursday its all stripped and ready!

hey! im the guy you got the tranny from. im thinking about building A big bore too. it is a pretty big bore for an l20, ive heard of +3 bore bringing it to a 88mm bore but i dont see why it wont work. the only thing thats iffy is that ka24's have a deck clearence of 15.950mm and with the big bore, the deck clearence is -1.55mm. i threw a rod through my block going to canby=/ but with a 2.289 displacementand a 9.9:1 comp, it seems like it would make close hp to the 2.389 displacement of a ka24e. ka24e's also has a lower comp (something like 8.6:1) i would like to make the l stand up to kae's. i dont think it could keep up with the dual cams but its possible. i've yet to see one running.

Don't forget the KA has 12 valve head and superior breathing than the L head so trying to compare them is iffy. In theory increasing an L20B size by 15% should increase output by a similar amount.... say 115? -ish

Maybe I'll build one 'some day' and let you know? biggrin.gif

I got a truck that would fit in!!! :lol:

If I did, I would run Z24 pistons and weld up a U-67 head for slightly more compression. Don't fotget there is a 1.55mm - deck height and a 15cc dish in the piston top so nothing is going to touch.

hey! im the guy you got the tranny from. im thinking about building A big bore too. it is a pretty big bore for an l20, ive heard of +3 bore bringing it to a 88mm bore but i dont see why it wont work. the only thing thats iffy is that ka24's have a deck clearence of 15.950mm and with the big bore, the deck clearence is -1.55mm. i threw a rod through my block going to canby=/ but with a 2.289 displacementand a 9.9:1 comp, it seems like it would make close hp to the 2.389 displacement of a ka24e. ka24e's also has a lower comp (something like 8.6:1) i would like to make the l stand up to kae's. i dont think it could keep up with the dual cams but its possible. i've yet to see one running.

My 18 could pull on kae's of course it was 11.5 to 1 and reved to 8500 . Every time the ka would hit rev cut I would pull ahead a little . But the ka would get me off the line . So i am pretty sure a well built l series 2.3 could hang with a dual cam. But why spend all that money building a l when for the same price you could buy a dual cam and a full suspension set up or turbo the dual cam

My 18 could pull on kae's of course it was 11.5 to 1 and reved to 8500 . Every time the ka would hit rev cut I would pull ahead a little . But the ka would get me off the line . So i am pretty sure a well built l series 2.3 could hang with a dual cam. But why spend all that money building a l when for the same price you could buy a dual cam and a full suspension set up or turbo the dual cam

this would be pretty much a junk yard build really. the expensive part is the machine work.

where do you think my engine came from machine work is not cheep.

i dont think its fair to say any "built" l motor can pull on a kae. im pretty shure no one is going to spend big bucks on real machine work. when i was shifting to 3rd you were shifting to 2nd. very few l's can rev to 8500 and survive another pull. im 100% shure of the line to full speed youre 4 door would see my ass. but its gone now. a kae is no match for an sr. just wait.