510 L20B EFI conversion - the project is finished!

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's getting very close. I'm dinking with a bracket to mount the flapper, barely found enough room after I relocated the ignition coil. There's not enough space in a 510 engine bay!!!! My TPS only clears the VG maxima boot after I rotated it 45 degrees down toward the framerail. If I had it to do over, I'd have had Joe build the completely custom manifold and had it snake at an angle over to the side so I could mount the airbox assembly better.

Okay, need some help here from Sealick and Datzenmike and whoever else. Have the 510 to start status. She's getting spark, getting fuel to the rail, but not getting fuel. With switch on, probed all major components, getting juice to all of them. On the injector plug, I get 11.78 volts on either side when probing to ground. I can't figure this one out. I haven't gone out and checked Joe's truck to see if it's the same on his or not, that will be after I eat some dinner.

The thing I don't have hooked up is the big yellow starter wire connector and the little yellow wire that are on a white connector shortly after the ECU plug in. I checked Joe's truck and he has this with the big wire going directly to the starter solenoid, and the little wire going to the negative on the coil for the tach signal I suppose.

I didn't have this hooked up, but I jumper wired it to a 12v source and the neg of the coil. Still nothing. Just cranks, no vroom.

Anything else I should check?

Okay, need some help here from Sealick and Datzenmike and whoever else. Have the 510 to start status. She's getting spark, getting fuel to the rail, but not getting fuel. With switch on, probed all major components, getting juice to all of them. On the injector plug, I get 11.78 volts on either side when probing to ground. I can't figure this one out. I haven't gone out and checked Joe's truck to see if it's the same on his or not, that will be after I eat some dinner.

The thing I don't have hooked up is the big yellow starter wire connector and the little yellow wire that are on a white connector shortly after the ECU plug in. I checked Joe's truck and he has this with the big wire going directly to the starter solenoid, and the little wire going to the negative on the coil for the tach signal I suppose.

I didn't have this hooked up, but I jumper wired it to a 12v source and the neg of the coil. Still nothing. Just cranks, no vroom.

Anything else I should check?

Check and confirm the grounds coming from the EFI harness

Here's some info....and or 'ramblings' :D

http://720world.ning.com/forum/topics/2016119:Topic:1478?id=2016119%3ATopic%3A1478&page=7

I thought the Yellow wire went to the dizzy for the pulsed (engine cranking or running ) signal.???

There used to be a site with the 5 wires on the EFI and exactly where they went .... simple as shit. Can't find it.

I thought the Yellow wire went to the dizzy for the pulsed (engine cranking or running ) signal.???

There used to be a site with the 5 wires on the EFI and exactly where they went .... simple as shit. Can't find it.

Ya it does......yellow to blue (negative side of coil on my 720)....pulse for the injectors.

I have that 'schematic' 5-wire app here somewhere.... :)

Might also be in that link I provided....

Believe I had similar issues as HRH.... :blink: ...was a insufficient ground

Yeah, the little yellow wire goes to the negative side of the coil. What's the yellow to blue you mention Sealik?

On the grounds, I only have one, that ring terminal with the two or three little black wires going into it, is there another one?

Yeah, the little yellow wire goes to the negative side of the coil. What's the yellow to blue you mention Sealik?

On the grounds, I only have one, that ring terminal with the two or three little black wires going into it, is there another one?

I just spliced the yellow into the blue wire that fed my neg side coil.

I remember pulling the EFI ground off the IM.....it somewhat sparked?????

Ran another ground from IM to chassis.....believe the engine flashed right up after that.

Is the IM the ring terminal with the bunch of 18 gauge black wires off the main harness? I'm not sure what the IM stands for.

IM......intake manifold.

Go to that site I linked....open the first attachment.....that's the ground I'm referring to.

Got it, I see that. The odd thing is I already have a chassis ground to the cylinder head on the opposite side of the motor. So you ran to IM then from that to chassis. I'll jumper that to another ground source and see if it works.

On the injector plug, I get 11.78 volts on either side when probing to ground. I can't figure this one out. I haven't gone out and checked Joe's truck to see if it's the same on his or not, that will be after I eat some dinner.

I know just enough about FI to likely sound stupid, but here is my question: My '81 200SX shop manual says "The dropping resistor is connected in series with the injector. It reduces the source voltage to approximately 1/4 of the source voltage." When you get 11.78 volts "On the injector plug...", is this after going through the dropping resistor? Probably nothing to do with the no-start problem, but I'm trying to educate myself on FI (or admit I'm beyond learning FI and stick with carbs).

Len

I know just enough about FI to likely sound stupid, but here is my question: My '81 200SX shop manual says "The dropping resistor is connected in series with the injector. It reduces the source voltage to approximately 1/4 of the source voltage." When you get 11.78 volts "On the injector plug...", is this after going through the dropping resistor? Probably nothing to do with the no-start problem, but I'm trying to educate myself on FI (or admit I'm beyond learning FI and stick with carbs).

Len

I think the voltage drops to 7-8 volts...(Or is it 5.....?... :D) from the resistor when it's running, not just 'key on'....?

Thus....Any surges in the circuit (14.4V + -) has no effect on the injectors..........Maybe. :)

Hey all, it's running! That's the good news. There's bad news and more bad news. One, why it wasn't running was because I was stupid and moved the pickup to the upper outlet which is only a 1/4 higher than the originally used outlet. Well, that seems to make a difference as I just put two more gallons in after pulling the fuel line and finding pressure but no fuel.

Ran it with it off and got fuel coming out. So that was my bad.

Next problem, it runs like shit and PIG RICH. Smokey nasty crap, worse than dumping a gallon down the intake. So now what would cause that I wonder? I still have the timing set at 14ish degrees which shouldn't matter. I wonder if that resistor block has taken a shit? But I would think it would just kill all voltage.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If it didn't flash up......

Do you have a head temp sensor and or connected to the 200sx EFI wiring?????

....."The temp sender broke where the green screwdriver is pointing.....seems to have the right resistance. The reading will drop quickly when I hold it and or placed in warm water. So I'm thinking this is not the prob.....other than the leak. Answered one of my questions today.....the engine will not start without that sensor hooked up...."

Yep, temp sensor is in the thermostat housing. It was only reading about 8 volts ouput when I tested it before though. What about the fuel pressure regulator? Think that could do it? I used one off an 85 Maxima with an L motor, shouldn't be any different I don't think. Similar system. I'll post a video here in a second. I smoked the shit out of the garage. Bad enough I had to put the fan on.

It's a brand new sensor.

Does anyone know which position the TPS should be in? It seems it connects 1 and 2 pins at a certain position, then moved farther (more throttle) connect 2 and 3 pins. I have it so it's connecting 1 and 2 at idle. Tried moving it around, didn't seem to do too much.

Okay, here's the video. It's belching smoke towards the end. Did another start after this and the same deal, lots of icky nasty whitish blue fuel smoke. Could be a little of new gaskets being burned off, but something's effed up.

Hmm.. wish I knew more about this stuff so I could lend you my brain. All I can say is double check all the connections, double check everything. Usually ends up being something simple that got overlooked.

Well done, it runs! And Good luck to you chasing the rest of the demons out.