Micro's 76 610

Took the helper springs off the tops of my coilovers yesterday. Damn, what a difference. I was able to lower the front down a little more, and it doesn't hit when going over tracks anymore.

Photo1163.jpg

Also, after getting pulled over for the 3rd time in the past few weeks, I decided I would have to comply with state license plate regulations...

Photo1164.jpg

Fascist pigs... <_<

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, after getting pulled over for the 3rd time in the past few weeks, I decided I would have to comply with state license plate regulations...

Photo1164.jpg

Fascist pigs... <_<

At least they're the 'older' Oregon plates. I have the original plates on my 610, and to comply with "the man", I will be having to do the same thing...

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, it's been a while, but all I've been doing is driving my 610; I haven't laid a wrench on her for some time.

I noticed as of late a sound that seems to be coming from the front right of the car while going down the highway. It sounded like a dry wheel bearing, so today I went out and got some wheel seals, and prepared to get my hands dirty and repack the front wheel bearings.

I love this stuff; the red grease from Valvoline. I think it's called "Crimson" or something like that. Whatever this magic stuff is, I use it on everything from wheel bearings, to steering linkage, to U-joints. I highly recommend it.

Photo1198.jpg

Went pulled the caliper off and hung it by a bungie on off the strut spring. Got the outer wheel bearings off and saw what the grease inside looked like; dark and thin.. almost runny. Yeah, it was time.

Photo1194.jpg

With that out of the way, I put the nut back on and used it to get the inner wheel seal off, old school style. If you're unfamiliar with this method, what you do is remove the outer wheel bearing, then thread the spindle nut back onto the spindle. Grab the outsides of the rotor with both hands, and be careful not to nick the outer bearing with the nut as you do this. Pull the rotor out towards you, letting the majority of the weight of the rotor rest on the spindle. As you would normally be able to pull the rotor completely off the spindle, you feel that it hangs up on the spindle nut that has been re-installed. Slide the rotor back a little way, good enough to give it a good quick pull. The nut will hit the inner bearing, the inner bearing will hit the wheel seal, and voila! Inner seal removed, and done right, the bearing and race will be unharmed. This is what it should look like:

Photo1196.jpg

After that, the bearings and rotor cavity were cleaned and repacked, and the spindle was cleaned up.

Photo1197.jpg

After covering the spindle with new grease, and installing the new wheel seals(ALWAYS replace the wheel seals), I was ready to put the rotor back onto the spindle. Outer wheel bearing back on, tightened while turning the rotor, backed off and re-tightened to snug. Filled the dust cap with grease, and it was done.

I would have taken more pics, but anyone who has done this knows how incredibly messy of a procedure it is. If my lovely assistant had been present, she would have taken care of that.

.. instead she was making me a sammich. :cool:

I have the SSR's, but I took them off for a couple reasons.

1st, the front tires were worn on the insides(the PO looks like he had some major toe-in issues), and the rims I have on now already had good tires mounted and balanced.

2nd, he didn't really take care of em, so there is some gouges in em. My aluminum welding friend is going to fix them for me as soon as I can get the tires off. My roommate's buddy works at a stealership, so he'll dismount them for me for free. I just need to get them up to him in the 'Couve.

These wheels that I have on aren't bad; they look decent, there's lots of tread on the tires, and I don't have to worry about them getting damaged for whatever reason during the winter season.

Alright. So I drove into Salem yesterday, and I noticed an odd feeling as I went from light to light.. almost like my car was bucking.. but not like like the engine was doing it. It felt like I was driving on a very wavy road.. not good. I got the car back to the shop and put her up on the left to examine the front end.. here's what I found..

Photo1215.jpg

Photo1216.jpg

Photo1214.jpg

Bummer. Somehow, my tire developed a bubble which quickly became a flat spot, and which led to a bigger bubble. :angry: Got the wheel off and did some thinking..

Photo1217.jpg

For now I'll have to put an old pair on the back, and move the rear wheels to the front...

Guess who's back..

Photo1218.jpg

Those my friend, are "SSR Colin"s.

Hmmm..."SSR Colin" just doesn't ring like "Suzanne" or "Camille"...I will rethink the yelling out of the name...

Thanks for the info. I don't want to become a wheel whore, but, this car is gonna make me do it I'm sure...

• 3 years later...