Micro's 76 610

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They come from late 80's Jetta GLI's. I got these ones off ebay for a cool $250.. which was quite a find. In this condition, they typically go for quite a bit more. Shipping em from GA was a serious hassle, however.

I thought those seats were the same style. Didn't know if these were freshly removed from said VW Jetta. I like my Infiniti G20 seats, just need to finish all the drilling into my floor board and I will be on my way.

I made brackets to avoid any unnecessary, irreversible NLA part modification.

Here's what I made them out of. Lucky for me, they were pretty simple and easy to make.

Photo911.jpg

I cut them each into 4" strips(4 per seat), then bent them at about 1 5/8".

Photo913.jpg

Photo912.jpg

Photo914.jpg

Here's the stock 610 bracket that they would mount to.

Photo915.jpg

After taking measurements and drilling holes in the strips, here's how they mounted to the stock brackets.

Photo919.jpg

Photo920.jpg

Then attached to the Recaro sliders.

Photo921.jpg

Photo922.jpg

Photo918.jpg

Photo917.jpg

Photo923.jpg

After the brackets were made and attached, the Recaros were a bolt in affair :)

Photo925.jpg

Love em'.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I was pretty fortunate. Every set of seats is different. Mine came out of a late 80's GLI, so I had to make the brackets to work with the Datsun mounts. Not bad, though. I used a paint pen, tape measure, clamps, cut-off wheel on a grinder, and a drill press. Took probably 2 hours tops from start to finish.

So the past week, I've been cleaning out my cooling system. It seemed fine when I first got the car, with the exception of some mineral deposits I could see when I pulled the radiator cap. Well, after a few lengthy drives, I noticed that my coolant was no longer green, but was gaining a brownish tinge. I dropped the coolant out and ran some OTC radiator flush. Ok, I thought, the water coming out now is clear.. I'm good.

Wrong.

Within a week, the brand new coolant was back to brown. I dropped it out and added another flush. Clear. This time I filled with tap water to see if it would turn brown in a few days. Well, by the day's end, it was brown again. I knew I had bigger fish than residual nasty coolant in the system.

I pulled the radiator and gave it the ol' douche-a-roo. Rust flakes the size of skittles popped out. Shit. That iron oxide didn't come from the copper radiator.. I looked to the engine block. I needed to pull the block drain to get at the insides, as I wasn't feeling up to popping out freeze plugs. I think I got the lion's share out with a back-flush and the block drain removed; There was a nice pile of rust flakes below my car, and leading down the driveway.

I put it all back together and ran the dickens out of it. The temperature was still climbing, but it wasn't scary. I decided that what I had removed was a good start, but there was more work to be done. So yesterday I pulled the radiator BACK out, and am now in the process of literally douching it. I filled it with 50/50(Distilled White Vinegar/Distilled water) this morning and let it sit. Poured out, and refilled with 75/25 Vinegar(75) and H20(25). As we speak, the radiator is on it's side on my stove top with the range set to low, heating the vinegar and hopefully getting most of those calcium deposits to come loose. I think it's working; I just poured some into the sink and got some nasties with the solution. I'm gonna leave it for another 30min then I'll post what comes out.

Photo972.jpg

Photo973.jpg

Ok, so I just got done dumping/flushing the vinegar out. Wasn't completely floored by what came out, but I must say, that stuff does work. Atleast better than the OTC flushes do.

After a week of double and triple flushing each night, and 3 bottles of the flushing stuff you get at any parts store, this is what came out after a 2 hour soaking with heat applied.

Photo976.jpg

Photo977.jpg

Here's a before and after of what the sink looked like

Photo979.jpg

Photo978.jpg

Like I said, it wasn't a paradigm shift or anything, seeing what came out, but it did free up some of the trapped rust. And who's to say how much of the calcium deposits were dissolved in the vinegar, and came out as liquid.. I dunno. I'll run it and see if it made a difference.

Kids, DON'T PUT TAP WATER IN YOUR RADIATOR!

• 2 weeks later...

After flushing the radiator and system with vinegar, I ran the 610 around for a few days and it was certainly running cooler. I drained the solution out and flushed with baking soda to neutralize the acid, and ran it around some more. When I drained and was flushing the baking soda out, I noticed when I looked in from above, that the cores directly within view with the radiator cap off were retaining water, meaning they were plugged :( I fashioned a "rodding" device from a metal coat-hanger by unfolding it, then filing two flat sides opposite each other. With a hammer, I now pounded it flat in a segment long enough that it would be able to travel the length of the cores in the radiator. I also made sure that the tip wasn't a sharp edge that could possibly puncture one of my cores, leading to worse troubles than I was already in.

Here's a picture of the tip of the rod:

Photo1000.jpg

I pounded it down to .050", which was just right for fitting it into the cores.

Photo997.jpg

Carefully, I began prodding and working my way down through each core I could get to from the limited opening of the radiator cap. I wasn't really excited that only one of the cores weren't plugged, but I was pretty stoked when I was able to get to 10 of the cores. This covered about 1/5 of the radiator's width. I had removed the drain plug and placed a gallon jug underneath to catch anything that was dislodged from the cores.

Here are some pictures of what the jug caught as I was unplugging the cores:

Photo999.jpg

Photo998.jpg

I wish I knew someone that could competently remove the top of my radiator so that I could go through and rod out all the core passages, but I'm glad I could get what I did out. Since cleaning the 10 cores, I've noticed a drastic change in the cooling efficiency.

Another, smaller update, I went out and got some windshield wipers to replace the old crusty ones that were on the car when I got it. I picked up a set of these new Michelin brand ones.

Photo1005.jpg

I like the design for a couple reasons. It has a small "spoiler" to catch the wind and keep the wiper against your windshield at highway speeds.

Photo1002.jpg

They're also shaped so that as they get older, the outer edges continue to press against the windshield, giving a good, wide, even wiping pattern(ordinary ones, since they are straight, develop a narrower and narrower wiping pattern as time goes on).

Photo1001.jpg

I've never tried these before, so we'll see how they turn out.

Photo1006.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'll have to double check, but the sizes are 14x7 and 14x8.5. I'm not quite sure about the offset.. I'll get back to you on that.

And about selling them? I dunno. I've never seen another set of em(in ANY size, not to mention staggered), and I hadn't planned on getting rid of em. However, everything's for sale. ;)

I'll have to double check, but the sizes are 14x7 and 14x8.5. I'm not quite sure about the offset.. I'll get back to you on that.

And about selling them? I dunno. I've never seen another set of em(in ANY size, not to mention staggered), and I hadn't planned on getting rid of em. However, everything's for sale. ;)

Hey Micro check your email.

Thanks