with all the more modern rust proofing coatings available..

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked for GM when the Landau roof was popular back in the mid 70s. The automatic paint sprayers had a button you pushed to turn off the paint as that half of the roof passed through the booth. Later the vinyl covered the unsprayed section covered only in primer.

Every vinyl roof I ever peeled had rust under it. :unsure:

:lol:

ive actually been :o (location is everything) that the last 2 original vinyl roofs ive seen removed from 510's were rust free.

1 was redone (SSS)

i dont care for them myself.

The only thing I can add to this discussion is the answer to another question, "Why do stretch limos have vinyl roofs?" To cover up the inevitable wrinkles that develop in the roof panel as a result of twisting motion induced by going over normal pavement and its effect on the elongated body.

The only thing I can add to this discussion is the answer to another question, "Why do stretch limos have vinyl roofs?" To cover up the inevitable wrinkles that develop in the roof panel as a result of twisting motion induced by going over normal pavement and its effect on the elongated body.

and here I thought you only get wrinkles with old age!

Is a stretch limo different from a normal limo? 'Cause I see plenty of normal limos with painted roofs.

Is a stretch limo different from a normal limo? 'Cause I see plenty of normal limos with painted roofs.

"Normal" limos are finished by custom builders on a manufacturers specially manufactured chassis [similar to that for a hearse]. Stretch limos take this chassis or worse a standard 4 door sedan chassis, cut it in half at the door post and weld in [with varying amounts of skill and knowledge of structural engineering] about 30 or more inches of box channel to connect the 2 body halves and then build up connecting metal to finish the roof and the area in front of the rear seat [where the wet bar goes]. The roof sections are the dubious part of this. The frame or unibody extensions may be OK but the roof is like a convertible body, it takes a whole lot of bracing to make it structurally sound. Vinyl is cheaper than proper engineering.