Storms

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm, my brother called me today to checkup on me as well. Is the news out there making this storm out to be worse than it is? I remember that bad ass wind storm we got years ago never got this much attention!! What areas has it hit the hardest besides the coast?

Snowed all day sat. and measured 10" that night. Last week I got a pair of spare rims and dropped them at Can Tire for some snow tires, not those weak-assed all season things, but real snow tires. Picked them up sun. in front of all those people trying to get an appointment to get their's on (if any were left):D:D:D

I got them for an expected road trip to Ontario in the new year but am using them now and all I can say is WoW what a difference they are! Snowed sun. and rained sun. night and all mon. Everything is slush.

All in all, I shoveled my driveway four times, thats a year's worth in one w/end.

What makes this one worse is the flooding hit areas that haven't been flooded in recent memory. While Centrailia/Chehalis is a known floodplain, the levee system has kept water out for nearly a century... this time the river overtopped them.

River valleys flood. But folks insist on living there and putting businesses there. They SHOULD be used for farming (where floods after harvest season are useful for replenishing the soil) but instead people build warehouses because it's flat (and relatively cheap) land. Gee, what happens when flat land gets innundated? You get big floods.

Yeah i kept hearing 100mph winds, and when we get 60mph winds here in kentucky, its tree topple time. I know all about the flood plains, we have the mississippi, ohio, tennessee, and cumberland rivers here and except for a couple of really small towns, the bottoms are used for farming. during the flood of 97 it go so bad though that there wasn't too much anybody could do about it. Luckily for me, i live on the high ground. glad to know everybody is just a little wet instead of losing homes and roofs and stuff of that nature!

Jason lives in Richmond near Vancouver. It's built on mostly sand and is near sea level. The storm drains don't empty properly at high tide and basements get wet.

About 5 years ago we here in Courtenay sustained two back to back years with 100 year floods. This a rare precipitation event where streams and rivers, rise to a height estimated to be seen only once in more than a lifetime. Try telling the same person with the creek lapping against their patio window, that it's a hundred year flood, again, the next year. I think the bar needs to be raised.

Some people got off easy, but this was not fun any way you slice it and I know some folks that got really messed up. We have a creek in the front and one in the back. Most of the weekend the property was just one river that ran around the house and right under it. We got over four inches in 12 hours.

My wife has a long time client that has a modest little beach house in Lincoln City that got hammered. They got 10 inches in 12 hours and they registered 100 mph winds Satrurday. My wife and I go out there for long weekends three or four times a year for the last ten years. We treat the place like it's ours because the client is so cool.

We have been out there when there were 55/60 mph winds and the placed felt like it was goint to blow away. Storm watching get's old really fast when you wonder wether the two big picture windows that look out on the ocean are going to explode. We will see what it did to the place. I bet I'm going to be taking carpentry tools with me the next time we go.

They live out in the Tillimook Forest and every road from Portland to the coast was closed. 26 just got opened today. 101, the Coast highway is closed in both directions in more than one location. They were completely shut off because the roads in every direction were covered with trees or underwater. Still haven't heard from them. Yesterday they issued flash flood and debris flow warnings for that whole area. Heard on the news driving home tonight that the Coastguard had a bunch of helicopters picking people and animals off the roofs of their houses in that area. 125 or something so far.

Interstate 5 is still closed and under three feet of water on the North bound lanes near Centralia, Washington. Seven hour detour from Portland to Seattle. That's crazy.

The good news is that it cleared out and was kind of a sunny warm day like 57.

yesturday was pretty freakin crazy.I was on the north end of the kitsap peninsula at work.We heard that a vital section of highway was shut down so we headed through the back way.After 2 hours of stop and go we saw the road 1/4 washed out.At that point I had to drive the 510 through 10" of rushing water full of jagged rocks.It was like pushing a shopping cart through gravel.We finally found our way out was flooded and some folks were going through it.At least 2 feet high rushing fast.We got out and watched which cars could make it.Once a 81 civic made it I figured I could.Not too fast,dont slow down though.Very nerve racking worrying about my safety and getting the dime home in one piece.Passed a flooded lake that you couldnt see through the trees but a boat had escaped and was battered on the side of the road.

I have never seen a storm drain pushing water out upwards before yesturday.Slight snow melting and record rains in the same 24 hrs. can cause serious damage.My power was out sunday for a bit.Luckily the winds never got that bad monday.

It's pretty mild here compared to what some of you are saying... It was snowing pretty hard all weekend though, and yesterday there were some heavy rains... It was nowhere near what happened last year though. Even so, I'm glad I've got a four-by... it was a hell of a lot easier getting around in that.