Abortion Alley over at Hectors

towed somethin back to the shop today.. figured it belonged here more than anywhere else. a project with a loooong story behind it...

(if you've followed much of my 510realm history, you might remember...but we'll get to that.)

now for the good stuff:

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this project started almost ten years ago...originally built and designed by Joey Gossen,a friend who worked for me here at Hectors a few years ago, and sat all these years collecting dust, then recently a few winters collecting rust!

(as you can see by the custom floor pans, prior to my drilling a couple drain holes)

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

sooooo.... what's my plan, you ask?

well, once I finish the few other daunting builds I have already embarked upon...

Strip and sell/give away all 4wd and VG30 drivetrain/running gear.

cut and remove front frame horns off at firewall, and design new tube chassis front end to accommodate high output 4 cyl. motor (number four cylinder residing where heater core was originally located)....rack and pinon, and double wishbone front suspension.

cut and remove rear four link mounting and re-design tarmac-track short-stroke 4-link suspension...or possibly IRS retrofit?

...glad I'm not a kid just claiming I can do it!

DSC_0027-1.jpg

it's next on the list after the Honda! (the little mini-lookin-thing on the lift)

DSC_0150.jpg

I think I'd be totally happy with an SRDET or KA-T powerplant... although the RB option is tempting...but also expensive and overkill.

remember, I got this car FOR FREE.... It was going to be towed away from my friends house (him mom was pissed) had I not rescued it today!

the car will likely be a half-built-rattle-can, even once I get it running, and only drive on a track.... I'm fine with that. my days of sourcing little NOS gaskets and trim bits are OVER!!! if I cant find a part for this thing, I'll make a cheap, ugly, and functional alternative. no one else has a slammed, caged, 200+ hp. two door, box flared wagon....and probably never will (if they're not totally insane) so it doesn't need to win 'best in show' trophies.

...after working on a bunch of really nice, rare, fully intact vehicles.... this thing is a breath of fresh air!!

why all the work to change it why not finish it and make it bad ass?

...my take on this wagon is this: 4wd is cool...Awd is even better...(if I could go that route, without major money and headaches)

but truthfully, the VG motor is filled with rainwater (and after my prior experiences with the V6, I'd rather stay away from it) and the enjoyment of a 4wd "fun" vehicle, is not for me. (I have dirt bikes for that) I need 4wd because I got stuck hauling an old datsun out of a swamp, not because it's fun.... but yea, I can see the logic in continuing the previous tact... but that's not MY vision. I see it WAAAAAAY more badass as a slammed, caged, track/street car. (and I've got plans to swap up my superduty turbo diesel van for a sportsmobile 4wd conversion!!)

bad...like sitting with the intake open through two winters. bad.

a lot of the hard parts are still good (as rebuild/core)

...and the front end, I believe is a later (like '90...hardbody truck) version.

it did come with a couple VG intake manifolds (a 200sx manifold) and a few other goodies that are worth parting out...

if you need VG parts on a budget..let me know! (i'll give them away for my labor removing and packaging!)

OMG...

I just read your whole blog on the EV Honda............ Wow.....

I have always wanted a lightwieght AC EV...... what are your plans for a battery pack? .... It will probably wiegh under 1000 pounds without batteries,,, right?

I love the custom Subaru fender flares, and all the interior/stereo installs,,, , but the fab work on the Honda EV is just amazing....

Can I come over and drool on your shop floor? ....... .. I know how to sweep, and I have been fiberglassing since I was 8 years old.

• Like 1

Awesome project Hillbilly!!! I can't wait to see what you turn it into. An AWD beast would be awesome if it was slammed, but as for a 4x4 lifted goon..... You gotta post ton's of fab work pics, they are my favorite :) It's good to see you still have the 1200.

thanks for the fab-flattery INDY510!...give a call and/or stop by if you're up in the SR area any time...

and icehouse, I'm still leaning toward RWD, fairly conventional drivetrain...and if I find a full donor (wrecked) SR-swapped and modded s14...I might just undergo the IRS conversion...and slammed. for sure slammed.