My ongoing 68 Chevelle project.

Well I started the beast today for the first time in about 2 months, so hears a neat movie of that...

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a159/RacnJsn95/?action=view&current=chevidle.flv

But let me give you a bit of history of the Chevelle(s). I bought this 71 Chevelle in 1997 for $300 dollars.

wrek3.jpg

Had the body fixed between then and then I got my drivers license in 99. Drove it for the summer I first got my license, and then retired it when I almost got in a car accident due to the ill running engine. Took the next year building a new engine...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the only picture I have of the interior... It's kinda taken apart now as the rotten painter ripped everything apart.

68int2.jpg

Here's some fun facts...

•I rebuilt the transmission about 2.5 years ago, and it's got less than 1000 miles on it still.

•The wheels and tires are about 3 years old now, and have less than 1000 miles on them...

I can't wait untill it's done... I'm going to drive the hell out of it!

love the car I have always been a fan of the larger cars chevelles, impalas,caprice and a few old Fords, 1964 and the 1969 galaxie xl500 and the 67/68 fairlane gt. keep up the good work I hope no early retirement this time around!

• 8 months later...
Only took 4 years to get it almost finished!

Such is the way of the classic car :rolleyes:

I am waiting for my sedan to be completed, but then again a stint in the Army will will delay a car for some time... :mellow:

I love the 68-69 body style. Great Work!

beautiful paint man lookd gorgious i know a buddy who had one of thouse his was a 396 though and the body was thrashed he dumped all the money into the motor i think he said he was pushing close to 600 out of it

• 3 weeks later...

Took the car back to the painter to have the spots I wasn't happy with redone, and so he can cut and buff the car... I decided to give making some side marker emblems a shot also:

First, a little background info...

•One of my old Malibu fender emblems was broken.

•The reproduction fender on the pass. side of the car did not have the holes for the Malibu emblems, I didn't want to drill it, so I filled the holes on the factory fender on the drv. side.

•My side marker emblems say "307" on them, and the number plate stickers were all faded and nasty... I dont want to buy emblems until I figure out what engine I'm going to put in the car; this eng. is temporary.

•I like the Malibu script :D

Now you know the basics of why :) Rather than spend $150 on all the new emblems, and not wanting to drill holes for the Malibu emblems, I decided to try something a little different. Pulled out the nasty old 307 sticker plates, and cleaned the glue out. Had a local waterjet guy cut some "new plates" for me to go in place of the old ones... I'll say this is a prototype because I goofed and told him the wrong height, and it turned out .250" short, the new ones will be done tomorrow.... I think it will look much better with the right height, and once I get the letter "centers" in... I didn't bother to put them in on this picture because I figured it would be a waste of time since I won't be using this plate anyway...

malmarker1.jpg

What do you guys think? I think it has potential.

Nice cars. I have had 3 66 Malibus, one was a SS396. Also had a 70 Malibu coupe. I have an 83 El Camino that I redid, everything mechanical is either new or rebuilt. Only thing I didnt touch was the body since it was decent. Had it over 5 years now and still isnt totally done. Car has maybe 1 mile on it in the last 5 years to. I moved from Iowa to Alabama where Im at now, literally got the car running in time to get it up on the trailer to be towed down here. It was drove about 100 yards from the pole barn to the trailer, off the traile in Bama about 20 feet to the pole barn there, and driven in the neighborhood twice about 200 yards each. I am now thinking about getting it registered and the title transferred to Al;abama, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I!!!!!LOVE!!!!!TWO!!!!!TONE!!!!!

Your car is beautiful. My grandpa has a '68 El Camino that he bought new and I have always wanted a '68 chevelle. I agree on the plan to ditch the TH350. My '66 El Camino came to me with a 327/M20 combo. It was hard on driver's side motor mounts until I found a solid one. The only thing cooler than two-tone is having a clutch pedal:D. Now, hurry up and finish it so I can see more progress on the rat rod!

• 2 weeks later...