covering bench seat and stereo question

Sickboy1031

They made a custom dash cap and tucked the vinyl there are 2 seams above the vents but other than that it looks smooth

bed liner is done finally here are some more crappy phone pics

24980_1119480404996_1766634145_245304_1960618_n.jpg

24980_1119480605001_1766634145_245305_3837879_n.jpg

24980_1119481165015_1766634145_245306_5068762_n.jpg

24980_1119481285018_1766634145_245307_1834282_n.jpg

Dont mind the crappy bike one of my homies gave it to me

I wish the paint had stuck but the only things left are stereo, repaint, tint, and next weekend a guy is gonna cut my upper shock mounts and raise them so I have some suspension travel. and of course little things piece by piece I need a window squeegee and other little stuff that i cant remember right now

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just mounted my stereo in the package tray under the glove box. I got a dash custom piece by Bosche from WalMart. I think it was for 98 chevy. I then attached it to the package tray and then slid my stereo in. A remote is a must! You dont want to be leaning over & F'in with the stereo.

what size speakers fit in the holes for the 73 I only have one speaker for am

I have put 6.5" speakers in b4. U av 2 tape over the speaker connectors as they will ground out on the opening. I have 5.25" rite now. They fit perfect. Still av 2 tape over the connectors.

So my last paint job was kind of a home job keep it from rusting special, and we didnt do anything but the exterior. now that the truck is coming together these yellow parts are kinda driving me crazy will it cause any problems in the future if I lightly sand them and spray some matte black over all the yellow parts in the cab? i think it might look nicer and it may be as long as a year before I can afford to really have someone do the body work all perfect and paint it right so the paint doesnt flake off every time i get a ding.

If it were me, I'd take the original AM radio and remove the volume knob potentiometer, buy a thing called a "dual amp balancer". strip the case off and reinstall it in the place of the factory knob. Then you can reinstall the the factory knob on to it, so the radio looks completely factory again. Then you just hook up whatever RCA input you want (Ipod/mp3, cd player under the seat, etc.) and the other end to an amp of your choice. Now you can control the volume of the Ipod or whatever, just like you would on the factory AM radio. This will totally mess with your friends, lol. It works great, I've built hundreds of them over the years. You can usually find the dual amp balancers for around $25. It makes everything completely stealth, but lets you listen to whatever you really want.

They look something like this (this is a pic of a sony one, this is just to show you what they look like)

h158XA74.jpeg

I just might do that myself, thanks for the idea!! :thumbup:

5 1/4s are a perfect fit but on teh drivers side there is a peice fo metal that blocks teh speaker from fitting right. at least there was on my 78 when i went to install my Pioneers in it. a little hammer tuning took care of that. now if you can get a THIN set of speakers then it might fit with out a problem.

I just might do that myself, thanks for the idea!! :thumbup:

It works great, i've done tons of them (since the early 80's). It really messes with your friends to have high quality sound coming from your old school AM radio, lol. I've been experimenting with a blue tooth link also, so nothing has to be plugged in at all. I just love the totally factory look, and to be able to still control the volume like normal. I personally don't like it when a super clean restored old school dash, has a modern cd player of monitor hacked into it. Now if the whole thing is all custom and modern, then I think it's just fine to show a modern deck.

So I blew my whole wad on the interior and line x and all the yellow metal in the cab is bumming me out do you guys think it would give me any long term grief if I carfully masked each bit and gave it some matte black? or would I be bummed out one of these days when I want to paint the whole truck the right way in a year or 2? i think if it looked good and stayed attached to the truck i might even leave the interior metal bits in the matte black no matter what I did to the exterior

Any rattle can paint is non-catalyzed, so it will strip off easily at a later date.

Scotchbrite the paint, wipe it down good with a wax/grease remover...which you should be able to find at Baxter's or similar parts store....or go to a paint supplier. My preference would be SEM Trim black. It's a satin black instead of flat and the cans spray very nicely. They spendy, $14/can?, but they're big cans. I would think one would do all the exposed yellow on the interior. The other thing I like about that paint is that you can touch it up easily. I feather in touch ups on my wife's 521 and my NL and you typically can't tell I did anything.

Nice interior!!

Upholstery looks great!

I'm personally contemplating on mounting an aftermarket headhunt all the way inside the package tray and keeping the OEM AM Radio for looks.

Now that you posted that knob thing i'll use that for volume control!