Can a NA L16 produce 287 rwhp and 259 lbs-ft torque?

ertw

Good day, I trust you are all doing very well.

I stumbled across a 510 nut in my home city who is selling a modified L16 engine that he had built for him to race in vintage class. But then it turned out that his car was too modified to meet the requirements for the class and he is selling the entire drive train. His ad claimed the 287 HP @ 7750 rpm and 259 lbs-ft torque @ 6500 rpm, but I am a bit skeptical. I went to see the guy and the motor at his shop (which is in his garage) and the engine looked okay hanging from an engine crane, but being out of a car, I couldn't test it out. I saw the build sheet for the engine and all the numbers appeared to match up. Following is a list of the modifications made to the engine. I'd like to know if it is possible for the engine described below to crank out that sort of power.

- stock 1.6L aluminum block bored out 60 thousands of an inch

- stroker blueprinted and balanced crank (requires a z flywheel)

- cp pistons and eagle connecting rods

- adjustable oil pump

- z waterpump

- L20b peanut head

- new stainless valves with dual valve springs

- oil squirters installed over cam

- custom reground cam (OEM or aftermarket cams not aggressive enough for the stroked crank)

- dual dellorto dhla 45mm carbs with mikuni jets

- k&n air filters and weber velocity stacks

- 5 speed close ratio direct drive gearbox

- pro street stage 2 clutch

- custom driveshaft built by Pats Driveshafts (Edmonton) with slip-yolk

- carter fuel pump

- electronic ignition with accel coil and wires

- holly fuel pressure regulator

- 13.5 tp 1 compression ratio

He tells me that this thing idles at 550 rpm and sounds like a stroked small block Chevy V8, but redlines at 10,500 rpm. He says it is happiest shifting hard at 7500 rpm and the engine loves to sing at 9000 rpm. He admitted to me that it does not produce much power at low rpms, but I'm not sure what to think. He also told me that it requires premium fuel with a bottle of octane booster in each full tank.

He is asking CAD$1000 for the entire drive train, which is a steal if it can produce those numbers. But I think it is still a good deal if it can produce 75% of those performance numbers.

Please advise.

Regards,

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the baddest ass L16 ever. Highly unlikely it would get anywhere near 120 hp and thats shooting way high but the mods sound good. Wouldnt drive good around town so dont slap it in a daily. Seems like someone screwed up when running the dyno. Kinda like when you dont set the switch on the back of a tach for 4 6 or 8 cyl.

Major shenanigans. I'd find out which shop he supposedly dynoed it at, and go ask them. If the guy is that far out, they'll probably remember him. Physically it's not possible to get that much at the wheels without boost and/or a massively modified head/intake.

It is possible though.

There was a fellow my Datsun guru knows who was working with Rebello and he angle cut the head substantially to make the ports near straight. That motor was making 240 hp out of an L16(crank), but if you consider the amount of custom head making involved, it would cost an arm an a leg. Plus, a motor of that caliber will NOT idle at 550.

Plus, if you consider a Hyabusa 1.3l motor makes 200 hp, then 287 out of a 1.6 is certain possible. I maintain it's not possible without major head modifications. If the motor looked stock, then it probably is. You'd know too, because the intake would shoot up at a 45 degree or more angle to feed straight into the head.

His ad claimed the 287 HP @ 7750 rpm and 259 lbs-ft torque @ 6500 rpm, but I am a bit skeptical.

Normally aspirated? At that RPM.... no. Well if it has an O. S. Giken dual OHC head @ about 16,000 a pop:

early_lz-2_small1.jpg

1/- stock 1.6L aluminum block bored out 60 thousands of an inch

2/- stroker blueprinted and balanced crank (requires a z flywheel)

3/- cp pistons and eagle connecting rods

4/- adjustable oil pump

5/- z waterpump

6/- L20b peanut head

7/- new stainless valves with dual valve springs

8/- oil squirters installed over cam

9/- custom reground cam (OEM or aftermarket cams not aggressive enough for the stroked crank)

10/- dual dellorto dhla 45mm carbs with mikuni jets

11/- k&n air filters and weber velocity stacks

12/- 5 speed close ratio direct drive gearbox

13/- pro street stage 2 clutch

14/- custom driveshaft built by Pats Driveshafts (Edmonton) with slip-yolk

15/- carter fuel pump

16/- electronic ignition with accel coil and wires

17/- holly fuel pressure regulator

18/- 13.5 tp 1 compression ratio

1/ There are no aluminum L16 blocks.

2/ The Z series have a different main journal size that the 5 bolt cranks, could be turned down I guess and massive counterweights trimmed. Block would need major trimming to get the throws and con rods to clear. The Z series are not fully counter weighted so high RPM vibration would be a problem. Still it was 'blueprinted so I guess this covers having weights welded on and balanced.

3/ meh..

4/ meh...

5/ Good idea they have higher volume.

6/ Unlikely but without a casting number....?

7/ No valve size given? The stock springs are dual.... no specs?

8/ Standard procedure for high lift cam and stiff springs.

9/ meh.... no specs?

10/ meh.....

Part two:

11/ K&N highly over rated and overpriced ricer hype. Velocity stacks ok.

12/ Assume it's comp. box with direct drive 1:1 5th gear....... still it doesn't add any HP does it?????

13/ Again adds no HP.

14/ Same.

15/ Probably a good idea to have more volume.

16/ Stock Nissan distributor just as good.

17/ Mmmmm....

18/ Mmmm.

He tells me that this thing idles at 550 rpm and sounds like a stroked small block Chevy V8, but redlines at 10,500 rpm. He says it is happiest shifting hard at 7500 rpm and the engine loves to sing at 9000 rpm. He admitted to me that it does not produce much power at low rpms, but I'm not sure what to think. He also told me that it requires premium fuel with a bottle of octane booster in each full tank.

Extremely doubt it idles at 550!

Part Three:

He is asking CAD$1000 for the entire drive train, which is a steal if it can produce those numbers. But I think it is still a good deal if it can produce 75% of those performance numbers.

Please advise.

Regards,

With a Z crank it's a stroker so larger than L16, still 200HP????

Ask to see a dyno sheet from a reputable shop signed by the owner. The HP numbers are likely an estimate by the owner or calculated by car performance ... which has way to many variables and there is way too much temptation by the owner to be a bit generous with the findings.

Unless your brother built it, (and you trust him) you need to know:

does it start and run?

does it re-start?

does it overheat, smoke, leak oil, have strange internal noises?

does it have good compression?

does it have the advertised parts in it?

does it make the advertised hp?

You are buying a motor that you can't start or see how it runs so a total unknown thing. The comp gear box sounds interesting? Could you tell if it is a direct drive 5th gear?

Check the top of the block behind the dipstick handle near the #4 spark plug. Should say L16. If so have the tranny unbolted. If it has a 5 bolt crank in it then it can't have a Z crank so probably the rest is BS too.

Plus, if you consider a Hyabusa 1.3l motor makes 200 hp, then 287 out of a 1.6 is certain possible. I maintain it's not possible without major head modifications. If the motor looked stock, then it probably is.

You'd be lucky to get 170hp out of a stock 1.3L hayabusa......... I'm not shure about the newer 1.4L busa

The problem is they only get a max of 100 ft/lbs of torque at 8k rpm

They do offer a "stroker kit" for some busas ..... no turbo with 84mmm pistons they can get upwards of 250hp out of a 1.6L bored busa block ...... with a 72mm crank .......... and everything is no where near stock.....

That is with a heavily modified head...... and all modern parts

How in the hell are you going to get 250hp out of a non-boosted 40 year old L16?

Shenanigans....

You'd be lucky to get 170hp out of a stock 1.3L hayabusa......... I'm not shure about the newer 1.4L busa

The problem is they only get a max of 100 ft/lbs of torque at 8k rpm

They do offer a "stroker kit" for some busas ..... no turbo with 84mmm pistons they can get upwards of 250hp out of a 1.6L bored busa block ...... with a 72mm crank .......... and everything is no where near stock.....

That is with a heavily modified head...... and all modern parts

How in the hell are you going to get 250hp out of a non-boosted 40 year old L16?

Shenanigans....

Don't full race rebello l16's Push 235

A sincere thanks to all who replied with valuable comments. I will practice due diligence to ensure the engine is good before dropping money on it. At the end of the day, I am looking for a drive train to replace the bone stock L20b that is in my 510. And to be quite honest, the performance numbers the seller claims don't matter that much, I just care that it will out perform what I've got.

Guys!! we had one of these posts a LONG time ago!! this is just a "funny" check out dude this is his first post and I bet "whoever" posted this is having a Big Laugh over the whole thing!!!!!!!

I'm new to this forum and I am not familiar with the post to which you refer. I can assure you that this post is not a funny.

Take care, everyone.

Regards,

A sincere thanks to all who replied with valuable comments. I will practice due diligence to ensure the engine is good before dropping money on it. At the end of the day, I am looking for a drive train to replace the bone stock L20b that is in my 510. And to be quite honest, the performance numbers the seller claims don't matter that much, I just care that it will out perform what I've got.

I'm new to this forum and I am not familiar with the post to which you refer. I can assure you that this post is not a funny.

Take care, everyone.

Regards,

Is this going in a race car ? If not it will not be any good to you on the street

get ahold of 510trevor, he's in cow-gary and should be able to help you with this motor - if nothing else, he's a 510 racer and local for you, he might know about this deal already and will be able to shed some light on it for you. if the vendor was at anytime racing his dime, trevor should know him - datsun racers are few and far-between.

As I have already quoted my former local mechanic who used to work for the Datsun USA Race Team "It's amazing what you can do to an engine when it only has to last an hour and a half". Keep that in mind when you hear about these fantastic Horse Power quotes.