1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza

Ok, so I haven't really been following the forum since about Sept due to school work. Hopefully I can read up on all I missed! During that Sept, a couple days before the great flooding of the Metro Atlanta Area (not sure if it hit much elsewhere,

), we purchased a 1965 Corvair Monza with the 110HP engine. We were hoping the paint could have been polished, but when seeing it in person it had a lot of deep scratches and chips. Quick summary: We had it repainted the original color "Regal Red," made a "package shelf" for the rear, as the one in the car got ruined during that Sept rainstorm cus the rear window leaked horribly, ....hmm....what else did we do....well a lot of stuff, that you can see, I just can't remember it all haha. If your curious as to what the picture is, just ask, and I will explain it. I'm posting the link to my imageshack, to be more friendly for slow computers, and would take like an hour for me to copy and paste all the links lol. A few of the pics are just thinks I took to ask questions or to show issues to the guys over on the Corvair Center forum.

Pictures They go in order starting from the last one to the first one. The wheels (Pontiac Rally II's)still need to be finished, but haven't gotten a good day to paint for a while.

What you guys think? Don't Hesitate to ask questions, or give comments.

EDIT: Think I have fixed the pictures link.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun cars. Miss my '60 Sedan, but a friend loves her now. I was able to fit 280ZX turbo rims on my Vair. Sad that these cars were notorious for rust issues, but apparently drive so well through snow due to the flat bottom and the front wheels make excellent rudders.

right.JPG

int.JPG

back.JPG

I was in search of the Spyder turbo package.

The most interesting system on the car to me was the heater system. It had its own combustion chamber and gasoline injector that heated air before it was blown into the passenger cabin. The exhaust tube that runs the whole length of the car intrigued me once I made its discovery.

Very good looking Viar. Take care of her.

Ray

Chevrolet sold them from 59 to 69 as 60-69 models.

If you mean the rust on my car, it's not a Cali car. When we got it there was a maintenance sticker on the window from Iowa. Who knows how long it's been in Georgia, or where else it may have spent part of it's life.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Chevrolet sold them from 59 to 69 as 60-69 models.

If you mean the rust on my car, it's not a Cali car. When we got it there was a maintenance sticker on the window from Iowa. Who knows how long it's been in Georgia, or where else it may have spent part of it's life.

Thanks for the comments guys!

lol! yeah, i was talking about the rust on your car. i guess i have an eye for east coast rust now. coming from georgia explains things, but it still looks great. very nice.

Yeah the only actual body rust was on the rear pillar on the drivers side, that was pushing some bondo out. Also on the pass side rear quarter, when the bodywork guys started sanding apparently a huge chunk of bondo just fell off becuase of the rust behind it. Obviously someone in the past didnt understand that you cant really paint/bondo on top of rust <_<

Lol, my house is on a large hill, so for it to flood at all most of Roswell would have to be under water. And it doesn't leak anymore either, so its drivable in the rain w00t

BTW Metalmonkey, where are you in ATL? If it's not raining too bad tomorrow you should go up to United BMW Roswell for the Cars and Coffee show thing.

http://www.atlantacarshows.org/events/cars-and-coffee-at-united-bmw

ha i have the turbo setup!!!! i ahve pictures of it somewhere, i dont know what year the car is but i know its a 4 door monza with the turbo, ill find pics when i get a chance, my g pa has about 13 corvairs but only one of the old bodystyle like yours, the turb is cool because it says chevrolet on it lol

my grandpa bought the car new in 63 and he hit a hole in the road and did something to it, he says when you hit 55mph it shakes so bad the it will break the bead on the tires and the air will come out, he parked it and its sat ever since, he used to start it up everyonce in a awhile but stopped that 20yrs ago, it has low miles but the rust has eaten it up, its a parts car now

That sounds like a horribly balanced tire to me. I don't even experience the wandering at 60+ that most do, becuase the front lifts up at high speed. One of the reasons many people put air dams on the front. Mine is going to have a first gen Camaro air dam.

If you grandfather is wanting to sell it give me the info, and ill post it on the corvair center forums, I'm sure there will be many interested over there.

That sounds like a horribly balanced tire to me. I don't even experience the wandering at 60+ that most do, becuase the front lifts up at high speed. One of the reasons many people put air dams on the front. Mine is going to have a first gen Camaro air dam.

If you grandfather is wanting to sell it give me the info, and ill post it on the corvair center forums, I'm sure there will be many interested over there.

i doubt he will sell it he is a stubborn old man, and my father and his brother will be using a few of the engines to build airplane engines, he has probably 13 corvairs some 110s and 140,s 2 doors 4 doors a convertible and piles or engines, ill post up some pics of them when i get home

Lol, my house is on a large hill, so for it to flood at all most of Roswell would have to be under water. And it doesn't leak anymore either, so its drivable in the rain w00t

BTW Metalmonkey, where are you in ATL? If it's not raining too bad tomorrow you should go up to United BMW Roswell for the Cars and Coffee show thing.

http://www.atlantaca...e-at-united-bmw

I'm down in Ptown! (Powder Springs) Just up near the Regal 22

I wish I saw that the other day, I probably coulda made it.