1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Around 1970 there was an outfit in Mid America that had a brilliant idea. They reasoned that Californians had stripped the engines from their rust free Corvairs for their dune buggies while the rust heaps on the East Coast were rotting with unmolested drive trains. They shipped good California 2nd generation Corvair bodies and the remnants of East coast drive trains to a central location. After cuting all suspicious body panels and welding in replacements, they upgraded the drive trains to Monza spec. They did such a good job the Highway Transportation Safety people redesignated them 1970 models. You may still see one on the road, the one visible difference is that the rear tail lights were cut out and Camaro Rally Sport tail light assemblies fitted in. They look as sweet as they drive! That second generation [think Corvette inspired] rear suspension really tamed the Corvair.

I work at Big Boys Toys Auto Sales in Spokane, and we just sold a Porsche Carerra 4 to this guy who traded in a toyota truck and an old corvair on it. They're funny cars. His is in really nice shape except that it lurches real bad when you put it into reverse or drive. The gear selector lever on the dash makes me laugh. I'm sort of sad we're not keeping it really.

I have seen a LM on the forum I frequent with Camaro tails, but thats the first I've heard that story. Hmmm

It had a Native American tribal name as the model designator. It was apparently named after a P51 Mustang model retrofitted with a PT6 turbo prop that was pretty notorious at that time. I think it may have been called the "Comanche".

• 3 weeks later...

So today we got the Pontiac Rally II's mounted, but when I went to go test out the new tires the fuel pump gave out..we have a replacement pump, but now it needs an oil change too. Its okay, it probably needed one anyway lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So today we got the Pontiac Rally II's mounted, but when I went to go test out the new tires the fuel pump gave out..we have a replacement pump, but now it needs an oil change too. Its okay, it probably needed one anyway lol.

Don't forget to remove the cover plate to the oil cooler and blow the last 40 years of leaves out of it. The cooler hides between the engine block and the rear sheet metal.

All too many years ago there was an aftermarket finned cast aluminum oil pan for the Corvair. It added a half quart to the oil capacity and ended the problem of adding a quart when the dip stick showed "low" which overfilled the crankcase, migrated oil to the breaker points and fouled them and usually blew the seal around the oil temperature sensor giving the clasic oil smudged rear panel usually seen on running Corvairs. The quantity of oil between Full and Add is a half quart. The cast oil pan also had the boss but was not drilled for the oil temperature sensor. You could drill it, but clipping on a VW head temperature sensor to one of the center cylinder fins was really the better way to go.

• 1 month later...

Yeah I plan on adding a head temp gauge, becuase its just good to have in an air cooled car. The only gauge I could find with the high enough rage is a VDO, that reads to 600. I'm thinking I can mount it under the center of the dash. Speaking of the dash, my Retrosound radio has not come yet...hmmm...wonder when my dad ordered it.