My 521 Mini Projects ***Lots of Pics***

71DIMER

ahh, your having trouble with your brakes too.

I had that issue for a while also.

Mike directed me here on Ratsun to get answers.

I'll loan you my Factory Datsun brake tool if you need it. :D

521-sss006-1.jpg

Looking good on your truck.

I'm in Fremont with Brandon and Clayton.

Are you looking for wheels for that?

Ahhhhh I remember those days. At least the fronts will behind you soon.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha...nice tool you got there, it's very specialized looking.

I had a set of 18" Titans that I finally sold off, decided I'd rather just keep the wheels already on there, but curiosity wants to know what you have? :)

ahh, your having trouble with your brakes too.

I had that issue for a while also.

Mike directed me here on Ratsun to get answers.

I'll loan you my Factory Datsun brake tool if you need it. :D

521-sss006-1.jpg

Looking good on your truck.

I'm in Fremont with Brandon and Clayton.

Are you looking for wheels for that?

Ha ha...nice tool you got there, it's very specialized looking.

I had a set of 18" Titans that I finally sold off, decided I'd rather just keep the wheels already on there, but curiosity wants to know what you have? :)

It's these wheels.

Their not bad wheels at all.

No one seems to want them.

Mint condition.

Need space in my garage.

$100 and it's yours

GMwheels.jpg

yes finally a cool thread. no offense ratsoner's but 521's are my thang.

coments-

great job on the rug i second the sticky tape method.

i like the rubber layer idea to bad my shit needs pans.

i like the fact you painted the relays and small stuff.

the valve cover looks awesome!

super job on the grill pieces. silver is the way to go. i painted mine black years ago and now wished i hadn't. i have some spray on paint stripper i'll try to use.

the seat belts are sick. i'm running out to paint mine right now. thanks for idea.

the bed liner sets this truck off!

your goodies-

i like the rear slider. wish i had one.

ahhh the infamous rear bumperetts. i dont have those either!!

looks like you have the elephant oil cap. is that correct?

looks like you have the locking glove box. is that correct?

questions-

was the bed liner a spray on?

are you going to detail the headlight surrounds with black on the little squares? thats how the were originally, most peoples have worn clean.

how did you do the letters on the valve cover? taped off or took the paint off?

are you going to go without a package tray? if not find a 520 metal one.

thanks-

i too like mklotz70 am seeing that you dont have to take the whole damn thing apart to make it nice.

last but not least you are among the elite few who put the trans tunnel cover on top of the rug!!! i commend you for that. take a look peeps (620 owners also) thats what the rug and trans tunnel are supposed to look like. the pics are great keep them coming.

Thanks for the thumbs up datsun_dreamer and shan lxi. :)

Let me try to answer your questions dat521gatherer:

great job on the rug i second the sticky tape method.

Yeah I was gonna use the spray adhesive but figured it might get messy and you never know when you want to replace the carpet if it gets a nasty spill or something. Replacing strips of tape would certaily be easier and a lot less painful than being left with a

i like the fact you painted the relays and small stuff.

I had to give those some attention as I couldn't stand looking at them all crusty and gross when I knew a little time under the wire brush wheels, some masking and primer/paint would have them looking nice. :)

the valve cover looks awesome!

Thanks, I only masked the red stripe on the top of it...then I just sanded the paint off the raised letters once it was all done.

super job on the grill pieces. silver is the way to go. i painted mine black years ago and now wished i hadn't. i have some spray on paint stripper i'll try to use.

Yeah mine were all crusty flat black that honestly looked like ass. I didn't think there was hope so I ended up buying a really nice grille on ebay that I polished but I figured what the hell and decided to try to restore if nothing else repaint the original one and as you can see from the previous pics it came out pretty nice.

Here's a pic of the 'nice' grille I got from ebay after I polished it.

47b6d700b3127cce8d47b8526fd400000016108CcNXLFm3cW

the seat belts are sick. i'm running out to paint mine right now. thanks for idea.

Hey thanks for the compliment, I was going to paint them just black but it's the little details like carrying with the red accents that I kind of like.

the bed liner sets this truck off!

Thanks, it's a Herculiner roll on kit that you can pick up at any Kragens/Chucks/Checkers or Autozone, Pep Boys, etc...well you get the idea.

I got mine on sale for like $49 with rebate. You really have to get it done in one day/shot because it got dark on me so I figured on putting the brush in a plastic bag and giving it a go the next day and the brush was totally solid by the next day even though it was ziplocked.

They kit comes with a roll on applicator but that thing sucks for our (or at least my bed) beds because it seems like newer beds have lower ridges and a roll on applicator won't get this stuff in the groove's valleys, so I ditched it all together and just applied it with a brush.

I did 2 full coats on it like the directions indicated and it's really thick and uniform.

Here's two closer pics of the inside of the bed...you'll notice I removed the little gas tank access door so that it wouldn't stick to the bed :)

47b7d707b3127ccebc9f2ab0324800000026108CcNXLFm3cW

47b7d707b3127ccebc9f2a6a329200000026108CcNXLFm3cW

your goodies-

i like the rear slider. wish i had one.

ahhh the infamous rear bumperetts. i dont have those either!!

looks like you have the elephant oil cap. is that correct?

looks like you have the locking glove box. is that correct?

Can't take credit for the rear slider, it was on there to begin with.

Yes I didn't know the bumperettes were sought after until after I joined NWDE.org

Yes it's the original elephant oil cap (original kangaroo water bag too) both in excellent shape.

Yep, locking glove box too. :)

questions-

was the bed liner a spray on?

are you going to detail the headlight surrounds with black on the little squares? thats how the were originally, most peoples have worn clean.

how did you do the letters on the valve cover? taped off or took the paint off?

are you going to go without a package tray? if not find a 520 metal one.

I was considering doing the little black squares but that would be a pain in the ass.

If by package tray you mean that thing that goes under the glove box..no I don't have it...:(

last but not least you are among the elite few who put the trans tunnel cover on top of the rug!!! i commend you for that. take a look peeps (620 owners also) thats what the rug and trans tunnel are supposed to look like. the pics are great keep them coming.

Well thanks, I first repainted this gloss black but it really came out bad, so I restripped it and sanded it, primered it and decided flat black would set it off inside better...I'll definatly keep posting pics since no one seems to mind all of my pics (I thought I'd be posting too many) :P

Yeah keep the pics coming! I know Mario did this but a reminder...either take a pic or draw a diagram on where all the wires / screws & bolts go. It makes reinstallation so much easier & you dont end up with "extra" parts :D Also make sure the simple green is @ full strength & not diluted.

Hey everyone...happy belated Thanksgiving. I just got back from Raytown/Mayberry where I tried logging on but was stuck with (gasp) dial up! Man what a pain in the ass that was after trying to post 4 times I finally gave up.

Anyway I just wanted to reinforce what Pac Coast Datsun (Mark) said...lucky for me I had some pictures to fall back when I forgot how to rewire some of the wires I just pulled and thought I'd remember them.

Well now that I'm back from Virginia...I'll have time to get back to the projects :)

I just unbolted the relays from the the engine bay and left the wire plugged into them. Made it easier to prep the engine bay, though the weather got too shitty to finish the job :P, lol.

Yeah I didn't remove them when I was preping the engine bay and priming/painting them too...it wasn't until I did all those steps that I decided they relays needed a bit of touching up too. Then I just used some masking tape to mark which wires went to which wires. :)

Hell when I did mask off the wires I forgot a pen or marker to write which went to which so I McGyver'd it by using a nearby bolt and dipped it in a little oil pooled somewhere and used that as my pen...LOL... I thought that was being a true RATSUN enthusiast!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I got off my a$$ again and went to do some more work on my truck.

I masked off the grill area so I could paint the behind the grill area flat black so that the grill will stand out more once I put it back on.

behindgrillemaskedkd5.jpg

behindgrilleflatblackql3.jpg

behindgrilleflatblack2cy3.jpg

behindgrilleflatblack3jn3.jpg

behindgrilleflatblack4km5.jpg

I spent the day cleaning and masking my engine compartment too. I got the whole front painted to the new color and was admiring my work. Now, I see that I'm not done. I need to black out behind my grill. That looks way cleaner.

Diggin' all the Pics... stripe the roof... and the bottom of the tailgate.

• Like 1
I spent the day cleaning and masking my engine compartment too. I got the whole front painted to the new color and was admiring my work. Now, I see that I'm not done. I need to black out behind my grill. That looks way cleaner.

Diggin' all the Pics... stripe the roof... and the bottom of the tailgate.

Hey Figbuck, glad to see you're talking some pointers along the way...lol.

Yeah I heard everyone's comments about stripping the roof so take a look at what else I did...

Getting the area masked off...

stripesroofmaskedek3.jpg

Getting the first coat of red on...

stripesroofcoat1ut4.jpg

Second coat...

stripesroofcoat2cn2.jpg

Pulled the masking off for the big reveal...

stripesroofdone2ry6.jpg

Here's some different angles...

stripesroofdone3wr3.jpg

stripesroofdone5aq1.jpg

stripesroofdone6ea9.jpg

stripesroofdone7mu2.jpg

• 5 months later...
Looking good Mario. You forgot to mention your new electronic ignition swap :D

Oh yeah, well I had some problems starting her up for a while and with 69FJWAGO (Clayton), Pac Coast Datsun (Mark) and my other non-ratsun Datsun friend Hector's help, I've slowly put it back together.

Clay helped figure out where all this oil spray in my engine bay was coming from so he fixed the oil pressure line, even hooked it up to the aftermarket gauge inside! Mark helped me working on the carburator when I picked him up to get his green wagon. There was some linkage was loose and whenever you pressed the gas it would come loose. So we fixed that.

Next the old point/condensor distributor had some loose parts in it as well. I'd put it back together but it would come loose again. So Hector sold me a matchbox electronic distributor came over and helped me install it, did the wirign too.

Only problem was that it didn't come with the pedestal plate. I took the old one and extened the slots for the screws to travel in...thank goodness for my dremel. I slapped it back together and went to fire it up and.....NOTHING.

Damn battery was D-E-A-D. So after replacing it the thing fired right up. :D After letting it warm up it idled smooth! I'm very excited that it's almost done.

I still need to adjust the brakes since it pulls hard to the right (passenger side) and reattach the choke cable somehow...but for now I think the 'major' workd is done.

P.S. Mark...it's time to update your signature...no more PL521 :(