my 1968 PL510 station wagOOn

420n620

I think there was supposed to be a space or a "and" in there...get a battery tie down and clean up the basics...in other words, fix the bad or jury rigged junk first, then start cleaning the car up :)

got it, I must of had a brain fart. Der :hmm:

Hey man, nice snag. I was talkin' to the old lady, and was gonna drive over there an get it myself. Glad to see someone on here got it. It's a find :thumbup:

Thanks, I can't wait to start tinkering with it this weekend, the PO got lots of calls on it, I'm just glad I was closer then the other pp that were interested in it, if I would have missed this goon, I would have been P'd off.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of carb is that? Doesn't look like a normal Datsun carb.

here a pic of the carb from the extra engine, it's the same as the one on the gOOn.

do you know if it a Dastun carb, can't find it in my manual.

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

yesterday I had a little time to kill so I thought I would kill it on the gOOn. Washed the outside and cleaned ALL the windows inside / outside which made a hell of improvement plus it gave me the opportunity to find where the dents and rust were, found that the left 1/4 panel has a little damage, rear hatch and right rear door will need some work which I'll worry about that later down the road when the time comes.

here shes is washed, looks a tons better.

IMG_3443.jpg

IMG_3445.jpg

Also decide to check the valves and only 2 were just a little tight. While I had the valve cover off, I notice something not quite right, here's a pic with the cover on, see if you can spot it before I show you pic's of the not so right problem, clue this is a L16.

IMG_3460.jpg

also noticed I started to have accleration problems, it turned out the the arm that works the plungger had fell off, run lot better now. more to come. :thumbup:

the carb pic in post #28 is from the spare motor, I noticed on the side of that block it had M2 where the goon motor doesn't, whats up with the M2, is it a HIPO motor.

the only rare options you missed was the turn signal indicators on top of the fenders

maybe from a dart? :cool:

another is the addition of (later stock???) side marker lamps <_< remove those ASAP!!!

and what are the plexi triangles for, on the doors???

maybe from a dart? :cool:

another is the addition of (later stock???) side marker lamps <_< remove those ASAP!!!

and what are the plexi triangles for, on the doors???

Darts are very cool but not as cool as a Datsun gOOn. :)

if I take off those extra side marker lights, there will holes, I'm thinking about putting the gOOn in a parade next month but if I can find the time before the parade, hell ya, I'm getting them off ASAP.

I'm not sure what there for, maybe to help keep rain out, the wind or the PO wanted wing windows like the 60's muscle cars. Here today or tomorrow, they will be gone, anyone want them ~~~~~ FREE, just pay shipping.... :rolleyes:

That looks like a toyota carb off of a landcruiser. Probably 74 or newer as its got the electric choke. If you were into cruisers, considering the condition of that one it would make a good parts carb...

Those turn signals also look ALOT like the "heads up" turn signals off of a mopar. My 68 Polara had something very similar. I was actually considering trying to find some of those for my 72 goon. I always liked being able to see the blinkers working just for peace of mind and they work well aesthetically. I am also curious what the difference in size is between the 68 mopar round marker lights and the factory 68 datsun marker lights.

I like the goon, if you were to selectively remove some of the prior "modifications" it could be a pretty slick little ride... Stay away from the caulk gun though :unsure:

thats a cool idea about the 68 mopar round marker lights, the 66 67 dodge coronets had some pretty cool side marker lighs, might just have to look into finding a set for the rear 1/4's.

since nobody guessed on the " not so right problem" you will notice that the fuel pump is wrong for the L16, the one in the pic is for a L20. Here's some pic's of what I found when I removed the VC.

notice the little tab thats been brazed at the end of the fuel pump arm.

IMG_3447.jpg

and it's been welded where the arm comes into the head.

IMG_3452.jpg

it looks like it all will hold till I get the L16 out and install the 77 L20 later.

since nobody guessed on the " not so right problem" you will notice that the fuel pump is wrong for the L16, the one in the pic is for a L20. Here's some pic's of what I found when I removed the VC.

notice the little tab thats been brazed at the end of the fuel pump arm.

whata repair! :o

AFAIK the fuel pumps are the same for all L series.

I thought the L20's had a longer arm then the L18 ~ L16 because the L20 block was a little taller. :unsure:

I checked my L20's and they had the larger diapham where the L16/18 had the smaller diapham. ??????

the pump is attached to the head, not the block. :)

diaphragm??? very well could be variations there...

dang, I guess I wasn't thinking about the pump being mounting to the head. :hmm: I was kinda of in a hurry when I posted that.

I checked my 72 510, 70 521, spare L16 and 74 620 all with L16 or 18 and they got the small diaphram, not sure when datsun started using the larger ones. I'd ask the PO where he got it but he passed away 2 yrs ago. O well, it works so it will stay.

• 9 months later...

not much to up date. The only thing I've done on the gOOn is I bought a rear hatch and right rear door, got the front fender turn signal light/lens, replaced the left rear tail light lens, doing a little body work, cleaned and replaced some brake shoes, adjusted/bleed the brakes, filled the tranny which was almost dry and fixed the timing chain tensioners and replaced the timing cover.

We just got our 1st snow for the season/year and this is how it sits for now.

IMG_5440.jpg

IMG_5442.jpg

I'll be sweeping snow off her today, don't like it when the doors get frozen to the door seals.

Thanks for the interest guys and want to thank Indy510 for doing a photochop on my 68 gOON.... :)

This photo is what I'm going to shoot for.

68datsungoonloweredbyindy510.jpg

• 4 weeks later...