Ford 3.2SHO into 510

ILWU82553

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3.0 and 3.2 are both Yamaha motors. The 3.2 was used with auto trans to offset the extra drive train loss. The sho 3.8 v8 after it was ford designed. The 3.0 was used only with the manual trans. All the rwd ones I have seen use the t5 tranny which bolts right up using the ford ranger v6 bell but you have to turn out your own pilot bearing and work out the clutch. Plenum bolts up reverse but you need a spacer to clear the tb. There are a couple write ups if you google. I'll link one at the end too.

No offense to anyone but I think anyone who would down the motor being used has never properly experienced it. The thing is WONDERFULLY designed, runs great sounds great, isn't heavy. Pulls ridiculously through the band then explodes once the 2nd set of runners kick in. It in a 510 makes way more sense to me then say...... a vg30dett, or a lt1 etc.... and is way less blasphemous then using a f20/22... and cheaper then any aforementioned.

I've never heard of one in a 510 though. You may have hood clearance issues. People have thought about (think one did) dropping them into s30s and it was a close fit, would be way closer or contacting in a 510 I bet. Be the 1st though lol. I personally want to drop one into a roadster.

Here is a link to a really nice Healey build using a sho and t5.

http://members.cox.net/rdgrauman/Healey.html

The motor is drop dead gorgeous

finiahed2.jpg

Ya thats some cough lmao

Quick in a fat american 4 door sedan lol, in a 510? pure fun.

Fast fact that taurus sho runs a faster 1/4 then then n/a z32.

How fast you think a 510 would be at half the weight? :o

I owned one I was going to part and take the engine for myself but the title came clean when I checked it so I had to sell. Made a believer out of me.

grassroost motorsports did an article on a Ford Festiva with the SHO motor in the back, as a rear wheel drive conversion - pretty funky set up.

i'm not a blue oval guy, but that motor is one of the best ever to sit under the hood of a Ford. that being said, i'm also a fan of the hybrid, having put a 455 Buick under the hood of my 77 280Z.

grassroost motorsports did an article on a Ford Festiva with the SHO motor in the back, as a rear wheel drive conversion - pretty funky set up.

i'm not a blue oval guy, but that motor is one of the best ever to sit under the hood of a Ford. that being said, i'm also a fan of the hybrid, having put a 455 Buick under the hood of my 77 280Z.

The reference to a Festiva and SHO motor is the 1989 Shogun. There were only a handful built but made a big splash in the hot hatch world back in the day. Check out Jay Leno's Shogun.. That car would be fun..

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/at-the-garage/custom-built/1989-ford-shogun/

The current-day version of this is the Golf GTI with the Audi W12 motor in the back seat.. TopGear did a review a year or two ago, freaking hilarious!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9JD3n_vpDs

This goes to the question of whether or not you can build it? But the better question of whether or not you should?

I have a friend who is a SHO freak and has 3-4 90's SHO Taurus cars at all times, but for me I never liked the Taurus or its front wheel drive.. The motor is bomb proof!

From what I've heard, the engine can actually safely rev way past the redline set in the Taurus........The reason for the redline they have is because all the other components couldn't keep up.

It's true, the alt was the main culprit there.