Square tubing roll cage idea?

So i was wondering if anyone has ever done a square tube roll cage? Or does everyone do circle tubing? Bad idea? anyone tried it? i searched google.com and came up with nothing. I think it would be a cool thing especially since i can find square tubing for cheaper than circle tubing.

Is this a fail post? lol i dont know but i was thinking about it and i dont see a downside of doing the square tubing.

Anyone have any thoughts about it?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DatsuNoob

I'm building my fuel cell cradle/cage out of 1" square tubing (1/8" wall). I built the shit totally overkill, plenty strong for that, but not sure I would ever do a roll cage out of one. Hot rolled sq tubing isnt gonna cut it, it should be made out of DOM or chromoly. The cylinder is also the strongest shape for a reason.

It's not as strong, plus it's more apt to fold when you bend it, and you can't really keep it "square" and make compound angles, and then when you intersect a piece that has a compound bend with a piece that doesn't the cross sections aren't going to mesh well because the diagonal corner-corner width is greater than the side-side width.

I have built a lot of open wheeled race car and the only sq tube is used on bumper brackets which we want to break off, and skip is right that no tech inspector would let a sq tube cage race. Cages are built with angles and braces sow if the DOM tube is kinked the cage will not fail. Sq tube when kinked bends easy.

That has to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard. I'm not trying to be rude. but go try to bend a sq tube and see what happens. I know you won't find another one on the planet so you might be on to something. But I don't think so.

FAIL!!!!!!!

SCCA and other rule books spell out exactly what to build a roll cage out of, and the design of the cage.

a drag racing cage is not the same as a road racing cage, but they are always made of round tube.

round tube is MUCH stronger than square tube,

also as a side note, a roll cage in the car on the street can be very dangerous, as on the track you're wearing a helmet

and harnesses, on the street you are not, in an accident your head/passangers heads, can contact the cage and do some serious damage to the skull.

also as a side note, a roll cage in the car on the street can be very dangerous, as on the track you're wearing a helmet

and harnesses, on the street you are not, in an accident your head/passangers heads, can contact the cage and do some serious damage to the skull.

It's a good side note people never mention. For a street car I suggest and do run just a loop.