clutch/flywheel questions

matwood

Here goes with ANOTHER question. Ha, you guys probably hate newbies like me!

So, is there an advantage to going with a 200mm flywheel/clutch rather than the 225mm?

I ask this because there is a killer deal on a 200mm setup that I am eyeballing..

Thanks for your patience!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally, bigger diameter is better, but your engine probably has five bolts holding the flywheel on the crankshaft, and bigger flywheels may use six bolts.

If you want a good stiff 200 MM pressure plate, get a pressure plate for a Datsun roadster, and start working that left leg.

First your clutch size is determined solely on your flywheel type. If it's a 200mm flywheel then that's all you can run on it. If it's a 225mm then that's all you can run on that. Period.

If L16 or L18 motor or an L20B from a car it's a 200mm unless it's been changed. So what flywheel you got?

I've got a 6 bolt crank in an L20B. The flywheel is 225mm now. So stick with this one? Should I get it resurfaced or look for a new one? There are a couple places that I have tracked down Fidanza aluminum flywheels. Whats a good 225mm clutch? I can't seem to turn up Nissan Motorsports parts like all you can.. like main bearings, where in hell can I find some Nissan main and rod bearings?

I wonder how come my 1800 crank has 6 bolts? Oh yeah it is a old Datsun comp crank and 1600 comp cranks are also 6 bolt.

:fu: :fu: :fu:

I can't seem to turn up Nissan Motorsports parts like all you can.. like main bearings, where in hell can I find some Nissan main and rod bearings?

ummmmm............. did you try nissan?

some of the NISMO parts have a 9??? or 99??? in front of the part number

I've got a 6 bolt crank in an L20B. The flywheel is 225mm now. So stick with this one? Should I get it resurfaced or look for a new one? There are a couple places that I have tracked down Fidanza aluminum flywheels. Whats a good 225mm clutch? I can't seem to turn up Nissan Motorsports parts like all you can.. like main bearings, where in hell can I find some Nissan main and rod bearings?

Why are you asking? Why do you want to replace the flywheel? What are you trying to accomplish?

Run what you have. Don't waste money on aluminum ones. You don't have a full race motor where the cost and inconvenience is worth the extra 0.75% hp gain. If the surface is smooth and even, take the shine off with 120 grit paper. use a small block of wood and go in a circular motion. Don't worry, you would have to sand for a week to take enough off to affect it. All you want is the shiny surface dulled. If it badly scored or grooved have it milled down.

Bearings:

mains...... 12207 U6001 about $55 a set @ Nissan dealer

rods........ 12111 73400 about $25 a set @ Nissan dealer

These main and rod bearings are used on all 6 bolt crank L and Z series motors including the 280zx and the LD28 Maxima turbo motor.

• 1 month later...

Here goes with ANOTHER question. Ha, you guys probably hate newbies like me!

So, is there an advantage to going with a 200mm flywheel/clutch rather than the 225mm?

I ask this because there is a killer deal on a 200mm setup that I am eyeballing..

Thanks for your patience!

larger diameter makes for a higher torque capacity clutch system. Since all that clutches do is transfer torque that is what you should be looking for. So choose a clutch that will transfer the torque you engine is producing. Examle: a 150ft/lbs producing engine you would need a clutch rated at 150ft/lbs going slightly over is ok but not overkill like one rated at 200ft/lbs. All that will do is create a heavier pedal effort and tax you clutch operating system; master cyln., slave cyln., fork, lines etc.

Have the flywheel machined, flywheels tend to warp when used, you can check them by putting a straight edge on it and with a feeler guage measure the gap that you see. Typically anything over.040in should be machined. Make sure to watch the machine shop pull the alignment pins to make sure the "step" is machined correctly or the clutch will not operate properly. The step is absolutly key to having a properly functioning clutch and helps with longevity. Unless of course you have a flat flywheel then just make sure its flat.

Later Dude!

521Dave

only reason for a 200mm flywheel is the Roadster pressure plate. as a stock 510 is 350KG and a Roadster is 650kg.

if you have a 225mm I dont know what the KG clamping force is as it varys from truck ,car or Z car.

if you have a 225mm and your close to stock mostly likely a 620 clutch kit will work. as it comes with the T/O bearing also and use the slaeeve that came from the vehicle.

If you go 200mm youll use the 510 T/O bearing and sleeve. so know what you want and what parts your using