Toyota Starter needed for Afghanistan rebuild

Sorry to seem to be hijacking this section, but my son is at a remote Army base in Afghanistan and attempting to get an old Toyota Diesel running for the base. Can anyone provide a part number so that he can get a replacement? I am off to the local Toyota dealer to see if they will even let me in the door to see if they have this part number. Thanks for any help you can provide!

"Hi Dad,

In your infinite searches for Japanese parts, would you have an easy to use part number finder in all your contacts? I need a part number for a starter pre 1989 Toyoya Hilux "L" series diesel. 2.7l (3.0l series) 4 cylinder. Cannot get on any sites that might be helpful here. I am Frankensteining 2 trucks here together, found a fuel injector pump out of time and got one running. Now the starter is taking a dump - need to wack it with a hammer once in awhile to jar the contacts! lol!! Still works, but not for long. The SF guys here said they could locate one for me if I can get 'em a part #"

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Toyotas use a Denso starter similar to this one. The mounting flange may vary:

21981_34626.jpg

The only thing that fails in these 99.999% of the time (according to my starter/alternator guy) is the contacts and plunger. They are easy to replace and cost under $20. I've replaced several and it always solves the intermittent problem.

starter-after.jpg

I have fixed Datsun starters by cleaning and polishing the contacts. He might be able to do the same. He has a bad starter now, what does he have to lose by trying to repair what he has. Even if it is a te,porary fix, it could get the truck running until parts arrive from the States.

I've got some of those contacts in my tool box as my DD is a 1983 Toyota 4X4. PM me an address for your son and I will drop some in the mail for him.

Thanks for the offer, this may be what he needs! I will contact him and find which FOB he needs the parts at. He has been jumping back and forth from FOB Orgun-E to FOB Salerno this minth. Again thanks, he may take you up on the offer.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. I have taken exit64 up on his offer of a starter point set, so that takes care of the immediate problem. For the long range solution, a member on the Japanese Nostalgic Cars site referred me to www.toyodiy.com where I was able to find the part number of the correct starter and forwarded the information to my son so that his supply organization can get a complete replacement. That "toyodiy" site is amazing! I wish there were a datsundiy site [and maybe there is, I'll have to do more searching]'

I believe that this closes out this posting and once again I salute the support you have shown me and my son!

• 2 weeks later...

Exit64, thanks for putting those parts in the mail. My son John will take some photos of the caps and hopefully the truck and I will post them and send you a copy. It's a long haul from Afghanistan over some shaky comm lines but the "mail" will get through!

Exit 64, My son got those parts, thanks again. Below is the message he sent me. Can't wait to get and post the photos he is taking. That Frankenstein with Chevy drive train and HMMWV engine is certainly a new one to me. Now if he can get the camera back from his boss ...

"I recieved the starter parts from your buddy. Got a picture (just got to see where my boss sent it!) with the hat and a Frankensteined Toyota. The one in the pic has chevy drivetrain and HMMWV engine. Good job by whoever did it."

Be honest with the amount of Toyotas over there in Afganistan already you think somebody could in source those parts.

I watchd a show where the Afgans were making pistons for those Captured Russian tanks and keeping those running.

The problem is that this is Government contract work. My son has the part numbers now and his supply chain is churning. "The mills of the gods, they grind exceeding fine" to quote a classical reference. I know what you mean about the resourcefulness of the afghani people. In the days of the British Raj in India the British had a hard time keeping the trains running in NW India. The Pastun tribesmen would slip down the passes at night, tear out the steel rails and hand make Mauser and Lee Enfield rifles and various pistols from them. Their Mauser Machine Pistols [model 712] were a thing of beauty.

Dear Mike, see if you can use ToyoDIY.com to find your parts. I want your son to have the satisfaction of getting that truck to run!

Did just that! The parts are "on order". Son John sent me a picture of another FrankenToyota complete with Chevy 4WD chasis and Hummer front end and engine. It's in .jpg so I am in the process of remembering how to downsize and post. Maybe in a few days?

Did just that! The parts are "on order". Son John sent me a picture of another FrankenToyota complete with Chevy 4WD chasis and Hummer front end and engine. It's in .jpg so I am in the process of remembering how to downsize and post. Maybe in a few days?

No problem!

I believe that's a 4runner?

Photobucket helps, especially when you remember to book mark it! lol

Eh, Chevy 4wd? Toyota 4wd's with the proper stuff can get pretty far (SAS, dual transfers, mmmmm so much more to say but the truck itself looks really interesting!