A little dad and son time.

For the past month my Datsun projects have taken a back seat to one important project my son and I were working on. We built a pinewood derby car for his Awana class. This was the first time my 8 year old son got to use power tools like the band saw, drill press, sander, and spray paint and boy did he have fun. He would wait for me in the morning to get home from work and ask "can we co work on my car today." Tonight was the race and we had a lot of fun with a nice surprise in the end. First place in the design categorie. Out of 70 or so cars too. I just wanted to share the pride I have in my son for all the hard work he put into his car.

Grandprix2007001.jpg

Grandprix2007004.jpg

Grandprix2007003.jpg

Grandprix2007002.jpg

Grandprix2007005.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thats awesome, his first CAR trophy... if he is anything like his dad most likely not his last:D

I've been into cars for many years with no trophies to show for it. Plenty of tickets and citations though! :rolleyes: Thanks for the good words guys!

I've been into cars for many years with no trophies to show for it. Plenty of tickets and citations though! :rolleyes: Thanks for the good words guys!

What those aren't trophies? :blink:

Dammit, and here I thought I was a champion :lol:

That's a nice lookin derby car, congradulations on the win :D

very nice. I remember working on a pine wood car and also a little flier that hung on a string. I used the belt sander for the first time then and won 1st in the races for the rubber band propeller flying device. :D

The pine wood cars had quite the competition. I must have made a 'wagon' to lose so bad.

The nails used for axles always have burs on them....so I filed them down, then polished the axles and used powdered graphite on them. I also spun the tires in the drill and sanded a crown in the tread so they would have a high spot to run on. Also removed any burs on the inside edge of the tires....since the car rides over a rail and rubs the inside against it for steering. We whittled the cars down to either wedge or tear drop shapes, then drilled holes in the underside and glued lead weights in to bring the car back up to max weight.

I know a few people.....most just don't want to claim they know me :)....hhmm...maybe that's just my kids! :)

Fineline.................more than congratulations are in order..The time that you spend with your son is so valuable and life altering..I KNOW that the guys on this forum that have met me in person will vouch for my next statement..My Son Ray is not only that (my son) he is also probably my best friend, (we are practically inseperable at times...)..I have had the priviledge of being his father since the day he was born to us (now for 41 years) and I will tell you that Ray is the joy of my life..So there will be many, many good times for you to come..(Little league, Go Kart races, Desert races, motocross, r/c car racing, more motorcycles, cars and engines to build(more than I can name), datsun trucks, cars, engines..more motorcycles..... and the constant questions of "Dad, can we go work on my....... or "Hey Dad wanna come over and see my newest project"....or "Hey Dude...swap meet tomorrow are you up for it"...Man, you are in for the best of times....Most of the fellas on this Forum that are parents will tell ya the same thing I am sure...Proud of my kid?..Damn straight I am....

That's a pretty snazzy little derby car... great attention to detail... I don't think I ever had the patience (or skill) to woodwork that well...

As for the father/son deal, I'm not a father myself... yet. I'm still fairly young, and I'd like to get my life on track before I try supporting a kid. But, a large part of getting the Datsun was the chance to work on it with my dad... It seemed as if my folks were never too thrilled about my potential projects in the past, but I suppose that was because I needed a daily driver more than a project car... but, now that I've got the former, they've become pretty supportive. At first this was only going to be a little rat truck project, but it was actually my dad who convinced me to try and rebuild the entire thing...

I'm with Ol Yeller, father son projects are important. I think is awesome!! I always wished my dad wanted to work on projects with me. It's cool to see a father get involved in his son's life. Teaching him mechanics, while bonding. I think everyone will agree that memories go way back and fathers make us who we are. The car is SICK by the way :D