No Vin Advice?

PtheDude

So there's a truck for 200 bucks complete. except for the vin. The 74 Vin plate was sold to a guy with a 78 for smog.

So, I get this truck and take what I want, hook up peeps here with whatever parts they may need. Then what? What can I do with the leftovers, legally?

Thanks in advance for the much needed advice.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, legally, I don't even think you could buy the truck... Otherwise, I guess it really only depends on what you're leaving on the truck. If it's just the cab and frame then take them to a scrap metal place. You might have to separate the two and take the frame to one place and the cab to another, just to prevent them from making a hassle about no vin.

I don't really think there's much you could legally do with this truck... Not sure what the requirements are for you. You could be sneaky and call up a wreckers and feign interest in buying a whole vehicle... Ask them if they'd give you the registration papers with it or if you'd have to just get a new set from the State. If they offer you the papers, then it's likely they take them for all cars, so move on to the next wreckers and ask them. If they suggest you get it from the state, then chances are they don't need a title to scrap it, so they might not check for the vin on this truck. Just a thought...

I think you meant the VIN can't be found, since swapping VINs is a very serious offence.

If it's just for parts you can simply sell the rest for scrap. I did that with my Diahatsu and they didn't bother with checking the vin.

Is there still a vin on the frame? Were there vins punched on 620 frames? If so you might still be ok? I thought the vin followed the frame, more than the cab. But I could be wrong so don't quote me!

I am also pretty sure that the 620 has the vin stamped on the frame too...this is a question for the "all knowing Datsunaholic" AKA "Carnac the datsun man" LOL..as always Doug I think you would have this answer...thanks..(Oh and I agree that swapping vin plates would seem to be a very serious issue...correct?)

Get it for parts & cut the rest up & dumpster it. 620's have the VIN stamped on the passenger side of the frame facing UP between the upper control arm & the radiator. May have to use a wire brush to expose it. I had to locate mine & show it to the DMV during my "inspection" [waste of time] :cursing:

so if the DMV inspects the truck and finds the VIN on the frame, once you have it crushed you realize that guy with the 1978 truck (probably my stolen truck) who used the 1974 VIN plates will have his truck listed as 'scrap' and may not be able to get new tabs from there on out.

In Washington you don't need to swap vins to pass emissions. 1982 and older are expempt. You only swap vins if you stole someone's truck and need to register it with a different license plate.

I had to locate mine & show it to the DMV during my "inspection" [waste of time] :cursing:

DMV :fu: [cue primus]

i just went through this as mine was out of the system...

the CHP & DMV didnt care about the stamped VIN on the firewall (510) just the dash and the plate on the strut tower. :eek: WTF?!? the thing is attached w/ screws

at least they matched :rolleyes:

As far as I know, it would matter. As far as I know, if you put together a truck from scrap parts it would be considered a "salvage" and would have a title to match... as far as the actual vins go, IIRC someone mentioned that some states will give you a title based on the newest permenant VIN... so if you're running a '74 620 on a '78 frame, the title will say '78. I think that's the way it goes...

I suppose the only time it would really matter is if any of the VINs came up stolen... If you had multiple vins they might just go with the one on the frame, but if that one comes up stolen you'll likely get your truck taken away... if you're lucky. If not... well, maybe you'll make new friends with a large man called Bubba.

My thought on this is the guy that sold the tilte to another person would be the one that gets into trouble. But you could be out a truck if the guy states he bought the Truck but never got it. He does actully own the title to that truck .

Here in California I know you can call the DMV office and ask what the fees are on a VIN to get it rereg'd they will not tell you directly if its stolen but they will start asking a bunch of question like where is the vehicle now. My suggestion is to call you local DMV from a pay phone somewhere until you figure out the correct status of your vehicle.

So there's a truck for 200 bucks complete. except for the vin. The 74 Vin plate was sold to a guy with a 78 for smog.

I'm just going to go get what I need and leave the bones there, I think. 250 tho, and its complete. It's been sitting forever.

Wasn't it $200 earlier?

And yeah, probably best to just take what you need off of it and leave the rest... it might seem like a good deal, but you don't want to be left holding the ball if the vin swapping turns out to be something else...