Where Can I get an A-Series Header?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the A-15 in my 210, looking for a header.

i want one for my b210 also, i have found them twice, just random used ones peaple have sitting around. i didn't have the money either time. so just keep on top of craigslist/ratsun/JNC or anywhere. as far as i know they havn't been made in years.

Was thinkin about making a header for my Pumpkn. But instead I took my factory manifold and hogged it out with the grinder. Will definately flow TONS better! Then patched up all the outer holes and heat shield mount holes. Then ground off the outside for a Stock Hi-Po look. Now just gotta blast it with media to get the uniform surface and treat it. Should look like it came out of the factory like that.

Unless you are tracking the car,and twisting the snot out of the motor,a header not only will not help-it will hurt performance.Datsun engineers did a better job designing the manifolds than most think.If you do a before/after dyno test,at teh end of the day,you'll be sitting in a corner all by yourself beating your own skull in :crying: with the factory manifold.

I meant be careful of bills datsun, Iv seen alot of half assed over priced stuff come out of there.

Those headers that Bills Datsun has are way to much for that one header. The header actually does make a difference in performance, the engine opens up quicker, I have my other 210 with the header and runs alot smoother than with the stock mani and Sounds Great :cool:

Whatever you do, do not purchase from Bills Datsun. The Headers are worthless, the workmanship crap and the Company fails to provide any reconciliation.

I purchased a set of their A-Series Headers off E-Bay for $275.00 (shipping included).

1) The welds were not machined flat so the header would mount to the Head.

2) The Exhaust ports were out of alignment

3) The Header would not clear the Steering Gear Box without Modification.

When I purchased the product Bills Datsun knew exactly what type of car it was going on. It was understood up front that I might have to Dimple the Header to clear the steering gear box. When I emailed Bills Datsun with the exact nature of my issue regarding the welds and the ports not matching up, they responded back with "Its understood that some modifications will be needed to fit the Headers to other A-Series vehicles as the Headers are meant to fit a Datsun 1200 A12 Motor".

IE: they ignore the mention of the crappy as welding and lack of machining a flat surface so the header could be mounted in the first place.

If you purchase from Bills Datsun, consider yourself forwarned. Personally, I would say just go with a 2" exhaust off the stock manifold. If you really want a Header, get one made locally.

Yeah I'll probably just make myself a header. I got a straight pipe straight to the back right now. Sounds NASTY!!! (as in good, hehe) :P .

Its sounds alot better in Person, trust me. Like a Full out Drag Racer. and that video is from last year in september. I got the pipe coming just out before the Tire along the side.

Exhaust shop here said they could make a header off the old manifold. Just cut off the part where it mounts to the head, and weld on pipe bent in same shape. I'm sure it would work, but I decided to just clean up the stock one.

IE: they ignore the mention of the crappy as welding and lack of machining a flat surface so the header could be mounted in the first place.

Like I said, half assed and over priced :rolleyes:

I used to work down the street from their shop and have met to many people that have taken there stuff to them, with my first ZX years ago I dropped by to see if they could fix my window regulator and he wanted $300 to put in a used one :o

Doesn't everyone rev the snot out of their A-series?

Am I being watched?

for the US supplier they list "Bill's Datsun"

I advise buying at your own risk with that guy :rolleyes:

That guy is a trip! Every Z in that shop "has about 425 ponies". Entertaining.

I actually bought one of his headers when he first started selling on ebay. I was the only bidder at $125 (opening bid). Now I think he only does buy-it-now. It was an old Thunderbird and was packed in newspaper dated 1981. He said he had a bunch of old stock. So to be fair, since he didn't manufacture them himself, he really can't be blamed for fitment issues -- especially if you were putting a 1200 header in a B210/210. Mine fit OK but there was one small spot on the flange where the weld wasn't complete. I found that it was just simpler to give it a quick spot weld and grind it flat (2.5 minutes) rather than waste time complaining. It was a cheap, shitty, old header that probably didn't help performance at all. If you're driving an A-series, in most cases, "performance" is completely relative anyway :wacko: . It was noticeably louder though.

• 6 months later...

Doesn't everyone rev the snot out of their A-series?

No, I tested it at a 1/8 mile drag strip and found I got the same times shifting at 5000rpm as I did shifting at 5500-6000rpm. Shifting at redline, it seemed like an eternity waiting for that last 1000rpm. Surely I'm not the only one to take my B310 to test-and-tune? :blink:

Prior to that, I'd go to an autocross and shift at redline. When my shift point came in mid-corner and I was too busy steering to shift, the engine noise suddenly changed. I concluded that redline is where the valves start to float.

Anyway, I've considered sending the stock manifold to Extrude Hone, or having a header custom made. Nissan Motorsport sold A-series headers in their catalog, but I don't know if they still have them. I'm pretty sure I don't want one, as they are straight 4-to-1 headers. They're made for high-rpm power in a car with the Sunny GX head and twin sidedrafts. On a street engine, the loss of torque probably won't be a worthwhile trade.

Yeah I'll probably just make myself a header. I got a straight pipe straight to the back right now. Sounds NASTY!!! (as in good, hehe) :P . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvSgIKE_NZ0

Its sounds alot better in Person, trust me. Like a Full out Drag Racer. and that video is from last year in september. I got the pipe coming just out before the Tire along the side.

Thats yours? Damn man, thats one of my favorite youtube vids. lol