datsun made a skyline???

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be clear, Prince made all the Skylines up until 1966, when Prince merged with Nissan. After that they were all made by Nissan.

The first SKYline was produced by the Prince Motor Company (PMC) in '55 and was produced right through the merger with Nissan in '66. (the Gloria was also a hold over from the PMC) The first of the Skylines that would form the Skyline Legend, (the Skyline 2000 GT-R) was introduced by Nissan in '69 .

Thank you Merlin for keeping the legend alive on your site.

That's right ggzilla, I said Nissan later but even that is closer than Datsun. Prince then Nissan made the Skyline.

datsun kid.... this is how info gets out there. People jump in and kick stuff about and things get learned. It might not even be you that 'get's it'. Someone 10 years, hell, 100 years from now may be researching Datsuns and find this post.

datsun kid.... this is how info gets out there. People jump in and kick stuff about and things get learned. It might not even be you that 'get's it'. Someone 10 years, hell, 100 years from now may be researching Datsuns and find this post.

i get wat ur sayin mike this is the only forum ive really been on i get on here everyday you would think that i would get that by now haha!

Forza 3 FTW btw

just got my Dime, but it's on Forza 3. This game is the best looking game that has ever been, and I'm addicted. It forced me to get my XBOX 360 online....

BTW, I wouldnt have rented Forza 2 if it wasnt for Ratsun, and I wouldnt have bought Forza 3.

SHould there be some "begats" in this thread? ex: Datson begat Datsun.

well thx guys for clearing that up oh and i didnt trust what i read on wikipedia

Smart guy

Ya, wiki says...

The Nissan Skyline (スカイライン in Japanese) is a line of inexpensive compact cars originally produced by the Japanese carmaker Prince Motor Company starting in 1957 and subsequently by Datsun after the two companies merged in 1966.

Someone should change that, it may be just a typo because if you notice all the pics of each skyline post 66 are labeled as Nissan Skylines.

Ya, wiki says...The Nissan Skyline (スカイライン in Japanese) is a line of inexpensive compact cars originally produced by the Japanese carmaker Prince Motor Company starting in 1957 and subsequently by Datsun after the two companies merged in 1966.Someone should change that, it may be just a typo because if you notice all the pics of each skyline post 66 are labeled as Nissan Skylines.

The Skylines before Nissan bought them out was made by Prince Motors like 72240z says but also some japanese cars did carry the Datsun tag.. Like the original Fairlady (roadster)

You could NEVER buy a skyline from any Nissan or Datsun Dealer ever. At least new. They have been sold from 1 of 50 some odd Prince Dealers still located in Japan. The Merger was not a takeover by Nissan. Prince still remained Prince and I believe it has been so to this day. Prince has always had complete control over the skyline platform despite any Logos. Im not sure how it works in Australia.

This is the #1 reason why the States never saw the Skyline. Prince didnt want to sell it at a Nissan Dealership.

You could NEVER buy a skyline from any Nissan or Datsun Dealer ever. At least new. They have been sold from 1 of 50 some odd Prince Dealers still located in Japan. The Merger was not a takeover by Nissan. Prince still remained Prince and I believe it has been so to this day. Prince has always had complete control over the skyline platform despite any Logos. Im not sure how it works in Australia.

This is the #1 reason why the States never saw the Skyline. Prince didnt want to sell it at a Nissan Dealership.

:blink: :poop:

Yes, all Datsun models carried the Datsun tag, especially in Japan. The first Datsuns were sold only in Japan. There were Datsuns "by Nissan" for years before the Nissan name was ever tagged onto a car in Japan. Later some cars were badged Nissan, at first the larger cars. The first exports were Datsun cars.

Prince was merged into Nissan at the behest of the creditors and Ministry of Transportation. It was not a merger the Prince desired -- Prince lost control right away, according to all accounts. One account says this is why the Hakosuka Skyline is the way it is: it used the Nissan L Engine even though Prince had good OHC engines for their own) and it used the suspension design of the 510. Against the Prince engineer's wishes.

Read up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Motor_Company

Be it may be they retained some core of Prince, it was no longer a separate company.

Also they no longer have Prince dealers, although they did for a long time. Now there is Nissan Red and Nissan Blue dealers.

Hmmm, I always thought that It was Nissan everywhere else with exception to the North/South American Market. Also, if Prince ownes the skyline marque, why is it here as something else (nissan/infinity) if they don't want to sell it at "Nissan Dealers" Also I heard that it was Datsun here because back when it came stateside, they didn't want the Nissan name smeared if it was a failure.

And FYI, not arguing but Wiki is not the end all of information and from what I understand is modifiable by whomever deems information wrong. (just food for thought)

Paul

if Prince ownes the skyline marque
There is no Prince company. It ceased to exist in 1966 when it merged into Nissan.

The name most closely associated with the war was Nissan, not Datsun. They supplied most of the large trucks for the military. Datsuns have always been the small car and small truck.

Ive driven a Datsun skyline before. sure it was through someone else's eyes and only for a brief period of time.

Was on the freeway in my 72 2dr 510 in slow traffic (5-15mph), guy rolls up next to me in his CRX and asks, "Hey, Is that a Skyline!?" told him it was a Datsun. "A Waht!?" Datsun 510! "Cool man!"