'89 240sx coupe (56k nono)

shane_lxi

Well, pulled the engine out sunday. I was hoping to get my clutch today, but that didnt happen. Maybe tomorrow. Should have my oil pan welded up too tomorrow evening. I'd do it myself, but I've only been welding for about a month now, lol. I dont trust myself enough for something so important yet :D.

Anyway, here's some pics after cleaning the car up today:

enginebay.jpg

Still really low, even with no engine or tranny :P, lol.

profile.jpg

When I pulled the battery tray up, I found this lovely hole under it :D. I might just cut a hole in it for now for my fmic (since I have to get this thing done before the 30th). Eventually I will be welding a new peice of sheet metal in though :D.

rusthole.jpg

MMM, check it out :D

240andtruck.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, little more updating. This is all stuff from tuesday. Wednesday was me and my girls 4th anniversary, so couldnt work on the s13 :(. Anyway, got the engine bay painted, my clutch FINALLY got here, so I got my flywheel resurfaced in prep. Tranny is going on today, and hopefully the engine will be sitting in it's new home before dark. Then I get to weld up the down pipe tomorrow, and start break in either this weekend or through next week after I get fuel pump, gauges, and battery wired at it's new location in the trunk!! I'm kinda excited :D.

paintedbay.jpg

Look at the difference in size!! The 350z clutch and rb20 flywheel on the left, and the stock clutch and flywheel on the right, insane!! So much more surface! The contact area is prolly 25-30% wider on the 350z clutch!

bigclutchsmallclutch.jpg

bigclutch.jpg

Well, I got the engine in!! That's the good news.

The bad:

The turbo is too big, hits the brake master cylinder :(. So, I need to either get a riser/adapter made that raises and clocks it a bit to clear, or I need to get the manifold modified a bit. Anyway, it's in there, so that's one thing out of the way. Unfortunately, it wont be done by golden gardens now, and since I put all my time towards this instead of my 521, I will be driving up in my gf's automatic s13 :(. Oh well, it's just a matter of time now, this thing is just about done!!

She's only had two cars, both s13's :D, lol. So I dont think I really need to worry about the whole honda thing :D, lol. I'm still a little bumbed, but it's no biggie, I'll get something worked out with it. Alteast it's sitting in the engine bay now, that's one huge load off my mind!

Okay, sorry for they multiple posts in a row, but I have more update pics. Someone asked for pics of it how it sits, so here they are. I havent worked on it since the dissapointment began, but I am going to prolly add the fluids, and get the driveline bolted up, mount up the intercooler, get the lip kit on, etc. while I wait on money for the manifold mods :(. Anyway, here they are, I included pictures of where the turbo hits, to give a general idea of what I need to do.

enginein2.jpg

enginein.jpg

engineinturbotop.jpg

engineinturbo.jpg

I am picking up my old ca18 front cut from my friend's house tomorrow. Firewall transplant will begin when i get my truck going (want at least one of these projects running :P, lol). Spoke with about 5 different s13 rhd swapped people at gg today, and I am very confident that it is in my ability to do it. It's going to be time consuming, but would solve all my clearance problems, and it'll be kinda unique too (rhd ka, weird). I'm justifying it because it truly is functional in this case, lol. But I do think it'll be fun fucking with people on the road with it :P, lol.

I bet a new manifold would be cheaper and easier in the long run. I would try and move the turbo a little further away from the master cylinder...don't want to boil that brake fluid!

The other thing to consider with the RHD conversion would be interference between the intake manifold and the brake and clutch master cylinders.

hmmm how about a brake booster delete power brakes arent nessisary there nice but not nessisary that could give you the room needed and be alot cheaper then both modding the manifold and the rhd conversion

I talked on ka-t with a guy that had a silvia he swapped a ka into. He said there was plenty of clearance for the clutch master. I was scared of that too. Another thing to consider is that this is a vband t4 with a 3" vband flange coming directly off the exhaust housing on my turbo. In order to keep from contact with the brake lines (even if I did decide to modify the manifold, and cut a hole in my hood, lol) I'd have to use a rhd bmc, since the lines come off the opposite side, and fab up some new brake lines, etc. etc. It'd still be cutting it close still to the aluminum bmc. That's alot of turbo, and alot of downpipe!! There's also only about a 4" cap between the steering column and the engine block that I would need to plumb my 3" dp through :(. Doable for sure, but I'm going to try this out, lol.

you could extend the master and its rod out past the turbo, it may look funny, but it would work. is there a manifold that puts the turbo downward instead of up? looks like that one may need a hole in the hood anyways, even if it was rhd. plus ever driven a rhd on lhd streets. it sucks donkey, cant see anything your supposed to, more likely to crash if ya cant see some idiot running a light.

It'll clear the hood, I checked that, I had to use some spacers on the hinges, kinda propped up in the back, but doesnt look bad. There are bottom mount manis, but mostly for t25-28 or t3 turbo's. I dont think this would clear the strut tower/wheel well with that type of mani.

This isnt really going to be a daily at all, so I am not too worried. I've got plenty of daily driver's, and my 521 :D.

• 1 month later...

I'll be picking up a smaller turbo on friday (Thanks Kyle!!), so just going to compromise for now with a smaller turbo :(. Maybe next bonus season I'll get a nice cast mani and run a larger turbo, but this'll due for now.

Decided against the rhd swap due to the fact that I will not be able to auto x at most events with a modded firewall. A friend brought it to my attention as soon as I was done cutting the firewall out of the front cut, lol.

Aynway, test fitted my skirts and front lip (The driver's side isnt on, so it's a bit droopy, ignore it :D ). Looks pretty good, I'm just going to try and rattle can it to match as best I can for now until I do the whole car the right way this summer (Hopefully :P).

Here's a bit of a teaser:

teaser.jpg

Decided against the rhd swap due to the fact that I will not be able to auto x at most events with a modded firewall. A friend brought it to my attention as soon as I was done cutting the firewall out of the front cut, lol.

Worst. Reason. Ever. :thumbdown:

;)