what is this?

ramseys21

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i just found it in one of these books i have. its on a manual and auto trans car. it is a tps sensor. knew that but the WOT switch is connected to a relay which completes the circuit to the stock points dizzy advance/retard breaker. so what im guessing is it retards or advances the timing under a WOT condition for smog?

the closed throttle switch is connected to the neutral gear switch on the trans? i dont really get that part of it.

if anyone has any feedback please post. i see alot of views but no posts. i dont know if no one knows or im just slow and dont get it. haha

Your Datsun used a second set of points that was retarded (opened 5 degrees later) than the first set of points. This only happened in third gear, at part throttle. This was to help reduce exhaust emissions.

It switched back to the advanced set of points if you went to wide open throttle in third gear.

One switch detects throttle wide open. The other switch detects throttle closed.

You may want to keep your old carb, manifold, these switches, and any other parts you remove in case you need them to pass a state emissions equipment test.

Edited by DanielC

You are very close.

The switch is used on standards and automatics. There are two functions to this switch assy. One it to turn the idle cut solenoid on or off and the other is to turn the retard set of points off and on under certain conditions to reduce emissions.

Retard points.

The wide open throttle switch on a standard sends power through a 3rd gear switch to a relay that turns the retard points off. Retard points are thus off and you have full dizzy advance only at full throttle and in 3rd gear. All other times the ignition is retarded 5 degrees. On the automatic you have advance ignition in any gear at full throttle only.

You can leave it and just pull the wire from the retard points to disable. Yanking shit off can cause problems.