Another Newbe / What to do with my new truck

patd

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Silver will look pretty nice to compliment the blue. It's too bad that your truck doesn't have the original paint, but silver is pretty boring for a body color IMO.

Yes it has been resprayed at some time in its life, I would like to repaint it a powder blue, I think that would look good

I went for a short ride this morning and went to the Datsun Museum, They have some pretty nice cars in there, the people that run it are really nice, I talked with them for around an hour. I got my registration for next weeks show/swap meet. I went home and put the truck on jacks and removed the tires and took them to the Goodyear tire store, They removed them for $40, So on Monday morning I am going to take the rims to get powder coated, Hopefully they will be done by Wednesday. Then its back to good year to get some new tires.. :rolleyes:

Rims are ready for the powder coating, The stock tire had not been off the rim for thirty nine years,

The youngster at Goodyear who removed the tire said he had never seen a tire like that before. :blink:

100_6675Medium.jpg

When I was replacing the wheel cylinders the right rear looked like it had just been replaced so I did not replace it, When I took off the wheel it looks like it has not been removed for years..

100_6677Medium.jpg

One thing you will find out about these trucks is that everything is made to be repairable. You found out you can repair the windshield washer pump.

I have taken OEM Datsun starters that would not work, removed the solenoid off them, taken the solenoid apart to get to the copper contacts, cleaned them, and put the whole works back together, and fixed the starter.

You can repair the fuel pump if you can get the parts.

That is one nice looking 521. Keep up the good work.

One thing you will find out about these trucks is that everything is made to be repairable. You found out you can repair the windshield washer pump.

I have taken OEM Datsun starters that would not work, removed the solenoid off them, taken the solenoid apart to get to the copper contacts, cleaned them, and put the whole works back together, and fixed the starter.

You can repair the fuel pump if you can get the parts.

That is one nice looking 521. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the info. So far I have been lucky in finding the parts that I need, But sooner or later I will probably have to start fixing things. Thanks for the compliment, She is almost where I want her, The next things that I need to replace will be the rubber grommets or what ever there called on the steering to tighten up the steering as the steering feels kinda loose.

Rims are ready for the powder coating, The stock tire had not been off the rim for thirty nine years,

The youngster at Goodyear who removed the tire said he had never seen a tire like that before. :blink:

100_6675Medium.jpg

Can you get a make and size on the stock tire?

Thanks...

Well I got the rims back from the powder coaters this morning, I went and picked them up and dropped them off at Goodyear so they could put on the tires I ordered. I am really happy with the way they turned out, I went with a gray/off white instead of the stock silver. I have a few more things I want to do before the Datsun car show on Sunday, I ordered some new side mirrors which I hope will be here on time, and a stock radio which should be here pretty soon. cant wait for Sunday. :thumbup:

100_6685Medium.jpg

100_6686Medium.jpg

Looks really good dude. I like all the little things you are doing to improve your 5. I just put my new side mirrors on today, but since it is currently snowing I haven't got pictures yet. I like your rare 1600 emblems too (I am one of the few who has a set).

Looks really good dude. I like all the little things you are doing to improve your 5. I just put my new side mirrors on today, but since it is currently snowing I haven't got pictures yet. I like your rare 1600 emblems too (I am one of the few who has a set).

What type of side mirrors did you get for your truck?

They are actually Z-car mirrors (i had to drill 1 new hole on each side). I got them off of Al Allen on ebay, They were $75 after shipping. I think it was the only set he had in stock though, sorry man. A little pricey, but the chrome is great, the look is nice and they mimic factory. Good luck finding a set. Someone says that pepboys (nonexistent in MO) has a cheap set.

They are actually Z-car mirrors (i had to drill 1 new hole on each side). I got them off of Al Allen on ebay, They were $75 after shipping. I think it was the only set he had in stock though, sorry man. A little pricey, but the chrome is great, the look is nice and they mimic factory. Good luck finding a set. Someone says that pepboys (nonexistent in MO) has a cheap set.

I got a pair off of ebay on Saturday, I got the 5 by 10 Jr west coast mirrors $103.00 shipped. I am still waiting for them to show up

MAN THAT LOOKS GOOD WITH THE WHITE RIMS!!!!!!!Maybe loweer it???????thats it

I might have to dump my pathfinders rims when I weear out the tires.

What size are those? I understand 175/75/14s or so . In those terms

Thanks for the compliment, I am going to leave it at the stock height, I am getting to old to have a lowered truck, I'll leave that to you youngsters. :D

The tire size that I got is 185/75-14 they were $64.00 each. I am just waiting for the new mirrors to show up then I can put her on the truck Gallery.

My new,(new to me)radio showed up today so I put her in and am satisfied with the way it looks now, I had another radio in there but it did not have the silver metal backing plate, so it didn't look to good. I took the truck out for a spin and the fuel and temperature gauge stopped working. So when I got home I was deciding what I would need to fix them when I remembered that I had to go to the store to get some food for my dogs, so I took off again and they decided to work again..(Gremlins) easy fix. :D

100_6694Medium.jpg

100_6686Medium.jpg

Rare? Maybe you don't see them much because they are 'frenched' off. :) Here's rarer one. Hard to read but says DATSUN1300. Check the motor. Has he 'bullet' side markers like the early 510.

00280022.jpg

I used to go the Boys Club in Oceanside when I was a teenager, They had 1300 the same color and maybe year as this one, I used to drive it around once in a while, It was under powered compared to the 1600 truck, I looked at your profile and I see that we have the same birthday, You must be a lot older than me as you dont know (remember) how old you are. :blink:

Pat the 521 is really coming together nice. Your paint looks new @ this point. Theres a regulator on the back of the gauge cluster that may be causing your temp. & gas gauge to be acting up. Not sure if guys are simply cleaning the contact points or replacing it though.

Pat the 521 is really coming together nice. Your paint looks new @ this point. Theres a regulator on the back of the gauge cluster that may be causing your temp. & gas gauge to be acting up. Not sure if guys are simply cleaning the contact points or replacing it though.

Thanks for the compliment, My son-in-law went over the paint with his buffer and commercial grade polish/compound. I used the stuff they sell at walmart.! The good stuff really makes a difference. I will take a look under the dash and remove the regulator and give it a look over, and clean it up. Thanks for the Tip. :thumbup: