Another Newbe / What to do with my new truck

patd

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice truck you cleaned up really good. What is the shipping company you used. I would like to ask for a quote.

http://www.larrysautotransport.com/

They were the best quote of all that I received, and they work with the Concord auto dealer that I bought the datsun from all the time. Lori is a really nice lady and kept in touch with me to let me know how things were going.:)

Well today I worked on the brakes and clutch and I am pretty sure that I need new master clutch and brake cylinders, These have been sitting for fifteen years

and are shot. I got the choke cable working, the cable was frozen inside so I removed it from the truck put it into a vice and pulled the cable out, cleaned it up put some lube on it and now the choke works like new. I removed the big rear bumper as I found some bumperetts that I like better, what a pain to get it off, I had to remove the rear tail lights and all of the bolts were rusted on, took me forever to get them off, then the rear bumpers bolts were rusted in place and that was really hard to get them off. but I finally got it removed. So now I am waiting for the bumperetts to show up then I will put them on.

100_6664Medium.jpg

100_6665Medium.jpg

That is gonna be sweet!

Isn't that amazing about the spare? mine's a 73 and it was like that. no flat tires in 40 years?:lol:

Yeah I was really surprised to see it when I cranked it down. I needed one more rim with the ball clips for the hub caps so that was a relief to see that rim..

Did some more cleaning today, I got out the electric buffer and some buffing compound and went over the truck. It looks a lot better now. The engine starts right up and idles smoothly, but big clouds of smoke when I gas it, I am hoping that it will clear up once I get it on the road and drive it down the highway for a while. Does anyone want a rear bumper? The one that I removed.

100_6669Medium.jpg

100_6670Medium.jpg

Last night I worked on the electrics, I had to replace some fuses that were blown and corroded, After that I found that one head light was burned out and so was the passenger front side running light. The starter motor was working only after I played with the key by turning it on and off, so I went down to kragen this morning and got a new starter, Alternator and the bulbs and new windshield wiper blades. Put them on this morning and everything works like new. The only thing that I need to fix is the washer motor, The wiper knob in the cab is broken so I have to find a replacement for that. and then try to get the motor in the kangaroo bag working again, Just waiting for the brake and clutch master cylinders to show up them I will replace all of the wheel cylinders, hubs and shoes, Then it will be off to the tire store for some new tires.:)

I got my Bumperetts yesterday, My son-in-law and I cleaned them up and straightened one on the brackets and installed them, I like them a lot better than that big towing bumper that was on it. I took the Kangaroo bag apart and We got the pump working, cleaned out the water nozzles on the hood and she works like new. So now all the electrical accessories work, windshield wipers, horn, turn signals, lights. My son-in-law got me some felt for the window tracks, The old ones were rotten, So we took the old ones out and put in the new felt strips, So all I need now is the rubber wiper that goes on the bottom of the window frame. One of my master cylinders should show up today, so I will get that on and bleed the system and get either the brakes or clutch working. I decided to take the rims and get them powder coated, They quoted me $200 for all four.

100_6671Medium.jpg

Edited by patd

be careful of stuff from Shucks!!!!!!!!!!!

They dont last long!!!!!!!!!!! I know!!!!!!!!! I have now Nissan rebuilds

Youll get good at changing alternators and starters

rockauto.com has the best prices and try to buy the jap made brake products. persoanlly if it isnt leaking dont worry about it. slight leak then change out the wheel cylinders.

try to get Beck Arney if possible but even them are now taiwan or Italian made stuff which dont seem to last more than 5 years.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)
I was also watching this on ebay. How much was the final winning bid? I love the rig, straight, great color, nice interior, just needs some engine maintenance.

I would grab a new upper rad hose, plugs & wires, cap and rotor, carb rebuild, and powerwash that bay. A couple filters wouldn't hurt either. After all that it'll look really nice and run a lot better too. Good luck with the truck man!

You have a keen eye, I went to start her up yesterday and was looking under the hood, The top radiator hose was completly damp. Just squeezing it and fluid came through. :)

Hope everyone had a safe and nice New Years.!! I worked on the truck today. I drained the fuel tank and put some new gas in her, and played with the clutch, It was slipping when I drove her around the block yesterday and this morning, So I just put her in first and kept dropping the clutch and it finally loosened up, My neighbors were looking out of there windows probably thinking what is that idiot doing? Trying to learn how to drive a stick shift... So now she is running pretty good, The new gas really made a difference, I don't have any idea how long the old gas was in there. I took her for a drive of around 10-15 miles and she ran great, the tempt gauge never got to the middle of the dial. So tomorrow she is going up on jacks and I am going to remove the tires and get the rims powder coated then put on some new tires and probably shocks. there was a shimmy at around 55 mph so hopefully the new tires will take care of that, or maybe an alignment will do the trick.

100_6674Medium.jpg

Coming along nicely. What color are you getting the wheels coated in? I'm uber jealous of your garage space and the fact that you are in Cali, especially near the museum. Next time I'm near there, that's my top priority. I need to fix my wiper situation too, my interior switch is knobless, and the sprayers don't work at all. The only place I can find the switch is ebay, hopefully nissan parts may have one. Keep up the good work man you have my favorite color 5!

Coming along nicely. What color are you getting the wheels coated in? I'm uber jealous of your garage space and the fact that you are in Cali, especially near the museum. Next time I'm near there, that's my top priority. I need to fix my wiper situation too, my interior switch is knobless, and the sprayers don't work at all. The only place I can find the switch is ebay, hopefully nissan parts may have one. Keep up the good work man you have my favorite color 5!

Hi Thanks for the nice comments, I want to get the rims coated in the stock color, It looks like the inside of my rims are a egg shell/dove white, someone painted the outside of the rims a bright white that I don't like. I thought that the stock color was a light silver? I am only about five miles from the museum, so I guess I am pretty lucky. My garage space is not "My Space" This is my daughters and son-in-laws house. I moved to Az in May stayed there for four months and did not like the heat, So I sold my house and came back to Cali. I am going to find myself a Apt. just as soon as the truck is finished, (they don't let you work on cars in Apt. complexes. I would like to go back to where I grew up in Oceanside, Spend time at the beach just reading and relaxing..!!