Flywheel lightening

So this winter I am going to redo my L20(falttop pistons and more head work) and i would like to have my flywheel lightend,Where can i get this done at in the Portland/Vancouver area??

Or does someone have one the could sale me.

:eek::lol::lol::lol:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im no automotive whiz! But im pretty sure any machine shop can lighten your flywheel. I think all they do is put it on a metal lathe and take off some material. If you wanna get really trick centerforce makes a carbon flywheel that weighs about 9.lbs I got one on an L 20b I was gonna race.:):)

Im no automotive whiz! But im pretty sure any machine shop can lighten your flywheel. I think all they do is put it on a metal lathe and take off some material. If you wanna get really trick centerforce makes a carbon flywheel that weighs about 9.lbs I got one on an L 20b I was gonna race.:):)

yea the only one i can find is like 400 a little steep for me. I will contact a local shop thanks

If you take too much off, won't it affect the distance the throwout bearing has to move, and possibly give you issues w/ the pedal bottoming out before clutch disengagement? Just a thought..

I think they carve it from behind the flywheel. Or the make holes all around the flywheel and balance it.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transflywheel_spec.jpg[/img]"]transflywheel_spec.jpg

12-15 lb would be lots. Remember the flywheel stores energy needed for getting the inertial weight of the car moving. Too much and you will have to rev the piss out of it and slip the clutch a lot to get going. This is for more racing where the car never stops. The energy normally used to spin all that weight up to speed can be used to move the car instead.

On Toyota 4cyl 4x4's we use to get a heaver flywheel to make it smoother. Most oem flywheels, can be lightened 3-5 lbs safely, just talk to the machine shop and take their recommendation. It is a very common thing to have done. Just don't take too much out it will make your car less fun to drive around town. And I would hate to imagine what could happen if it failed at say 5000rpm :eek:, not a good thing, a quick way to loose a foot :eek:. It has happened, that is what on drag cars you need a special bellhousing to help prevent getting hurt.

Just keep that in mind, you will not get that much of a gain for what you could loose.

Bring it over to my house. We can drink a rack of PBR and then hit it with my Harbor Freight grinder. I'm sure we can eyeball it!:blink:

cool and i will bring the one i got at schucks and some widmir:lol:

[

12-15 lb would be lots. Remember the flywheel stores energy needed for getting the inertial weight of the car moving. Too much and you will have to rev the piss out of it and slip the clutch a lot to get going. This is for more racing where the car never stops. The energy normally used to spin all that weight up to speed can be used to move the car instead.

how much weight would you remove??

Anything that has to be spun by the motor will absorb engine energy. This would include the ...

alternator

drive shaft(s) including between diff and wheels

rear drums or rotor

wheels

tires

The alternator could be replaced with a smaller one or larger pulley

drive shafts could be made out of aluminum

I wouldn't mess with this as there has to be enough to act as a thermal inertial heat sink.

light aluminum alloy rims

in conjunction with larger diameter rims a smaller lighter tire could be used.

If you decide to do this. Take it to a good machine shop and ask them to put it on the CNC mill and take the weight off the top. don't take to much off the middle you won't gain much. I think it's going to cost quite a bit. I just don't see you saving that much $$

I think the safest way is just to buy an aluminum one. Just my 2 cents.

Ive done a few and was bummed with the results. I run aluminum flywheels on both my Z cars and they work great. Mind you I run a machine shop so I know what it takes to make this happen. That's why I purchased a flywheel made by someone that has done the all the R&D work.