Newby and new Datsun 1973 Lil Hustler truck

chavezYchavez

Hello,

I just bought my 1st little Datsun Lil Hustler yesterday from a Widow her husband bought this truck brand new in 1973 and it only has 61,000 miles on it.

After giving it a good tune-up and oil change new battery runs great.

The brakes still feel kinda sloppy is this normal we just bled the master cylinder and all the wheel cylinders the front master cylinder res was bone dry.

When we bled the brakes there was some sludge in them but got it all to clear with new fluid. The brakes just dont feel right still you have to pump them twice for them to really grab and then the pedal is all the way to the floor any thoughts?

The body is arrow straight and no rust whatsoever bed is perfect he never hauled anything heavy to dent the bed up. I am going to using rubbing compound to hopefully bring back the shine somewhat.

All lights, heater, windshield washer and wipers and dome interior lights work.

I think the tires on it where probably bought in 1970 something they are still Bias tires P185/75B14 and drive like crap but they still have tread these will be the 1st things I replace.

I am needing some replacement outer window wiper gaskets they are gone just clips remain anybody have a good cheap source for them?

datsun034.jpg

datsun032.jpg

datsun036.jpg

datsun033.jpg

datsun035.jpg

Other than that what you all think? The pic's are not the best because it is raining here in Oklahoma.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

welcome aboard! as for the brake issue, ADJUST THEM! it will help. they are NOT auto adjusters like on most cars, you actually have to adjust them manually. its a PITA to get right but once you do it makes life so nice. also download the sevice manual for the truck from http://www.olddatsuns.com . trust me, you'll need it.

Chavez-

Welcome. Not that I am some vet, I just joined this month too, but lurked for about 6 weeks prior to joining....

We are practically neighbors. Good to see some Mid Westerners on here. The guys on both coasts tend to get all the good stuff, but there are some finds here in the belly of the nation. Like your 620 for example. Good find! If you're like me you lurked so you know what you are getting into. Let us know your plans and keep us posted.

Guys,

I plan on keeping her bone stock no need to modify such an original truck. If I buy another one down the road I can always mod one at a latter date.

I bought the little datsun for $650 the lady wanted $700 I think I paid too much what you all think:)? I have already been offered between $1,500-$2,000 for it locally.

Heck my father in-law has two of these trucks and he offered me $1,500 the same day he saw it and this is 100 times better shape than any of his trucks. I will post some more pic's in a few days.

CYC

very nice 74 and you payed 650$, sweet. Glad your keeping it stock, there's plenty of 620s out there to mod, chop, drop out there. also can you put up some pic's of your dads 620's we here are picture hoars.

edit: here some info that lynch put up about the Hustler :: "There were very few options available on the 620 sold in the US- aside from the 3 body styles (Shortbed, Longbed, Kingcab) you could get as options an AM radio (later models, especially the Deluxe King Cab could be found with an AM/FM stereo), a dash clock (thought by some to be the rarest 620 option), an Air Conditioner (Dealer-installed early but was a factory option later) and a Tachometer (a favorite upgrade for many 620 owners). Interior colors for the seat and door panels were limited to Black (the most common) and Beige (a rare few King Cabs even had beige dashboards). Exterior colors were pastel colors- Orange, Green, Yellow, Red, Blue, White, and Beige, though some later ones were sold in metallics (mostly blue and silver). Quite a few got striping and other upgrades apart from the "Li'l Hustler"."

Edited by 420n620
info on the Hustler

Thanks guys about the kind words. I just got thru draining and flushing the radiator it was preety bad. I will probably have it hot tanked in the spring. I will get somemore pic's soon.

Also found out the rear right brake wheel cylinder is leaking just ordered two from Autozone to replace the rears with 1st than will replace the fronts and new master cylinder.

Lastly where do you buy your Fan belts from? Any part numbers and if it comes down to buying a new radiator where is a place to pick one up from?

ThanksCYC

you lucky bastard!!!! i paid 700 for mine and its half as nice as yours, give us some pics of the engien bay and that bed you are talking about, dude you gotta lose the bumper and the black rack and the mirrors, lower it and buff it and i would call it good, WELCOME!!!!

fan belts are EZ to gert and should be at the local store.

rockauto.com is a good source for parts if you got time to wait for them to ship. getting parts for a datsun can get expensive and they sell the cheapest made in Italy or taiwan parts. Get Jap made if possible. Sometimes it not possible anymore even reputal companies have to get taiwan ones now.

But Beck Arnley used to sell the Nabco,Tokico japan made stuff.

I have the Italy made wheel cylinder and I got 5 years out of one before it went bad!!!!!!! Thats not good!!!!!!!!! The orginals last 20-30years

PS Dont worry if it 13/16 or 7/8 wheel cylinders if looks the same just put them on I cant tell the difference otherwise you be waiting forever for the correct size part.

damn that truck is straight and rust free looking(going by the photo)

also Buff the truck out with rubbing compound/polish. I use TR3 from the local parts store. works good on Datsun paint. Dont do it too often as it will thin out the paint( put that truck in a carport or gargae to save the paint.

Edited by banzai510(hainz)