mklotz70 belt sander build

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The belt jumping has bothered me since the beginning of this project, but I got it to a managable amount and just dealt with it.  While doing R&D for the next belt grinder, I found that my tension was only about half of what I needed.  I did a vid showing the difference and how I measured the hardware store spring to find the right one for the next version.

• 4 weeks later...

I see you used a better belt material in the latest video. For the end user that is a critical part that shouldn't be skimp on.

Working with a Kval door sizer I would be  spending more time adjusting the belt tension than running doors. 

The biggest affect on tracking seems to come from the tension.  Once it gets up around 30lbs, it tracks really nicely.  On my other belt grinder, I fought with tracking all the time until I upped the tension to around 30......then I didn't have to mess with it at all.

I think Dave got 3M belts for this one.

Thanks guys!! :)

These new belts are pretty stiff, so they don't bend around the crown on the drive and tracking pulleys very easily.......but with the higher tension, they bend more.  On my other grinder, the tracking was spotty with only 16lbs of tension.  It tracked better with 20+ and it tracks awesome with the 30lb tension.  Everything I could find online said the 2x72 belts ran best with about 30lbs of tension.

I've posted some CAD pics of the grinder here.....

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/45934-3d-modeling/?do=findComment&comment=882022

I've nearly done with the tweaks to the CAD art so we can submit it for the bulk order.

I've integrate two different mountings on the front gusset.  One for the box/switch setup that I have on my first grinder in case someone wants to put a motor larger than 2hp on it.  They'll need that switch setup to run it.  The second mounting is for a single gang box and a physically smaller 30A, 2 pole switch from Home Depot.  It's for motors up to 2hp, but it's only $15 for this box/switch setup instead of the $70+ for the larger one.  The larger unit is much more stout and would be better for more commercial use.

I've also created a mount for a vfd.  It will be a 110v to 3ph vfd.  It will allow variable speed with a 1hp 3phase motor.  The vfd is pretty large, so I didn't want it on the front gusset where it might be in the way and get hit.  The mount is 2 piece.  The lower part is 3/8" steel with the upper piece being 1/4" aluminum.  The aluminum will be much easier for the customer to mount what ever they want to. 

I think we've covered the bases pretty well.  There will be an 8" contact wheel and fish mouth setup available for it in the near future.  I'm trying to get everything submitted so that we can have some of these on hand for the swap meet in april(1st weekend at PIR)......so I'm not sure I'll have time to get the other pieces completed.  They're far enough along in the design phase to know that they will work with this grinder. :)  

Unless something changes drastically with the price of the parts and hardware, we've set the basic unit price at $750.  It will come with the laser cut parts and hardware.  No pulleys, motor or wiring.  We're also going to drop the price to $600 for this first batch as an "introductory price".  From there we'll gauge feedback and interest and adjust accordingly.

The pulleys are about $200 from Beaumont Metal works.  two 2", one 3.5", one 6".  As a start up, we just can't afford or justify buying up 10-12 sets of pulleys right now.  We'd need to mark them up a bit so it will just be cheaper for the buyer to order their own.  If these sell well and we start looking at doing another batch, we'll look into having the pulleys made for us to see if they're any cheaper.

Similarly with the motor setup.  There's too many options for us to even consider buying/stocking them on hand and it will be cheaper for the buyer to get there's direct.  The HF 1hp, wiring, plug, switch and box will run about $200 at normal prices.  Catch them on sale with a 20% coupon and it will be closer to $150.  The 1hp, 3ph motor, vfd and wiring is somewhere in the $300-350 range.  For general purpose fabricating, I doubt there will be much need for variable speed, but for fine metal work or knife making, it's worth it. 

So....compare the intro price of $600 + $200(pulleys) + $200(HF motor setup) and it's $1000.  I'd have to check again, but the closest KMG option is $1400.  When you look at their prices, don't forget that you need the $115 base plate if you want to mount the motor to the grinder and not bolt it all to the bench.

Anyway....that was a bit long winded.  I'll be back with more pics to clarify the "basic" unit......but for now.....I've got to get back on the CAD and get that stuff finished!! :)

Since I didn't put any CAD pics here last time, I thought I'd put them here and a link in the other thread :)

This is basically what to expect on the "basic" kit mentioned above.  All the laser cut pieces and the hardware. 

DSM26i.jpg

DSM26h.jpg

DSM26g.jpg

DSM26f.jpg

DSM26e.jpg

These are images from me checking the fit and spacing of the new tool rest to make sure that it reached/cleared everything I wanted it too......including the upcoming fishmouth attachment and 8" contact wheel attachment.

DSM26d.jpg

DSM26c.jpg

DSM26b.jpg

DSM26a.jpg

DSM26.jpg

....and a couple of quick renderings just for fun :)

DSM26l.jpg

DSM26k.jpg

DSM26j.jpg