mklotz70 belt sander build

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the Machine Tool Expo in Portland today.  Got to watch a Burr King 2x72 in action.  Very nice piece of equipment.......but with vari-speed, it was about $3100-3500?  Gave me a couple of ideas for later :)

• Like 1

Thanks! 

I'm waiting for vid to upload for the vfd stuff I was playing with.  Not sure when I'll have time to edit/post it, but I'll put it here when it's done.

I'll put up some pics for now....mostly CAD work

Not sure what order these are coming in.  PB has been more than annoying for the last couple of months!

The new motor had some clearance issues....it was different than the other 56C frame I modeled.......so I modeled the new motor so I could make some changes in CAD.  The bolt at the bottom of the motor mounting hole was hitting the face of the mtr.  I clearanced the motor face....more on that later......but I needed to design a "block nut" to put in place of the flange nut.  Had to modify the small gusset too.  The first 12 grinders will have a couple of compromises that I'll redesign and fix in the next batch.  That's a big reason for the "introductory price" :)  Anyway....

ADMotor.jpg

ADMotor2.jpg

ADMotor3.jpg

BlockNut.jpg

BlockNut2.jpg

BlockNut3.jpg

BlockNut4.jpg

GussetSm.jpg

VFDSolidMount.jpg

VFDSolidMount2.jpg

VFDSolidMount3.jpg

VFDSolidMount4.jpg

10inArm.jpg

10inArm2.jpg

Some of those are the new one piece vfd mount.....will probably get made in aluminum so that the end user can easily redrill it for whatever they want.  Last couple are some prelim work on getting a 10" contact wheel to work on the same arm as the 8". 

These are more of the 8" and 10" stuff and the fishmouth attachment.  I've ordered prototype pieces, so we'll see how they look/work when they come in from the laser cutter.

FM.jpg

FM2.jpg

DSM.jpg

DSM2.jpg

DSM2a.jpg

DSM2b.jpg

DSM3.jpg

DSM4.jpg

DSM5.jpg

DSM6.jpg

DSM7.jpg

DSM8.jpg

Picture0003.jpg

By the time I post the links, I can't even remember what I had selected. LOL.

The single gang box is the $15 switch option.  Front gusset is setup to mount it and the bigger, more industrial switch setup of someone really wants the $80 version. 

That's all I've got time for now....gotta sleep :)

I was all excited about that switch and I've since found a much better option.  More on that later....no time to play with it right now.

I shot vid while I was hooking up the vfd.  I chopped a lot of it out.....like most of the motor wiring.  There's no guarantee that anyone else's motor will be the same.  Anyway.....here's the vid.  It's mainly to show those that would like to go variable speed, but aren't familiar with vfds and 3ph motors that this isn't rocket science.  But....you do need to be careful and do it correctly or you could smoke the motor, vfd, or yourself.

Thanks Jason!  We're pretty pleased with it. 

Not extremely happy with some of the laser cutting.....could just be normal to laser cutting.  As cool as all the holes are, they put a lot more heat into the part and so the parts have some bow to them.  Not an issue with some parts.....def issue with others.  I wouldn't mind trying one without the holes.  Anyway......I've got waaaaaay too much time into this project!  I'm anxious to get back to some of the others. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...