WeberDGV on an Offenhauser intake

fisch

Finally picked up a weber 32/36 DGV! As a bonus it came with a Offenhauser intake. (And is already set up for the cabled throttle of a 521) But I don't know enough to know if an Offy really matters! For all I know a tube is a tube. (But the geek in me digs the kookie factor.)

As to jetting, it came off a 521 w/ a L16, BUT, is set up for a Hi-performance L16 w a medium Racer Brown Cam. (Greek to me) Does it make a difference over stock? Will I have to switch jets?

AND, my stupid question of the day. I've never replaced an intake or an exhaust manifold. I was hoping I could just replace the gasket on the intake ports, but every gasket I see also had the exhaust holes built in. Will I have to take off both manifolds, and replace the whole gasket, or can I cut the intake gasket out and just replace that? Seems like alot of extra work if I am not messing with the exhaust manifold. I couldn't find any info on this in Haynes (I guess they figure I should already know the answer.)

Rember a guy has to learn!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes its a one piece gasket also depending on your head drain your coolant too the intake (stock) some (???) have a water passage in them (you can see it in your first pic) the first time I changed my exhaust I filled the the cylinders up with water/coolant. had to pull all the spark plugs and crank the engine over to clear out the water... dont have to worry about that with my FJ20's :D

yes its a one piece gasket also depending on your head drain your coolant too the intake (stock) some (???) have a water passage in them (you can see it in your first pic) the first time I changed my exhaust I filled the the cylinders up with water/coolant. had to pull all the spark plugs and crank the engine over to clear out the water... dont have to worry about that with my FJ20's :D

Thanks 69 FJ! The coolent issue is something I would have never thought of! You totally just saved me some hassle.

YOu can make this ez for your self and not change the intake and exhast gasket and just bolt the carb on the stock manifold

YOu can do this so you can get the truck running first then later in summer if you feel you just got to have the OFFY manifold on there then swap it out with a new gasket.

remeber if you have a stock 210 cast head(has small 1.125 ports) on there it isnt going to go much better with that manifold. Most improvent will be the DGV itself.

lseries17_thumb.jpg

YOu can make this ez for your self and not change the intake and exhast gasket and just bolt the carb on the stock manifold

YOu can do this so you can get the truck running first then later in summer if you feel you just got to have the OFFY manifold on there then swap it out with a new gasket.

remeber if you have a stock 210 cast head(has small 1.125 ports) on there it isnt going to go much better with that manifold. Most improvent will be the DGV itself.

I wondered about this Hainz. Question, will the hi-rise adapter bolt up to the stock manifold? I assumed it was only for the Offenhauser as I've never seen an adapter like this. (Don't have it in my hands yet so I can't go out and measure it.)

To me it looks like the adapter will bolt to the stock manifold.Its the standard old model tall adapter.

Look at my photo.

The stock carb should have the same bolt pattern as the offy manifold.then the adapter is used cause the boltpattern is wider on the DGV series.

You might have to get taller studs in case the stock ones are not long enough on the stock intake, but at least you dont have to remove the intake and exhaust if you dont have to.

maybe get it cheaper by saying you dont want the manifold

Lets just get this running first.

It should least fire with the oold carb on there by pouring a little gas in there. Have you even tried this yet?

To me it looks like the adapter will bolt to the stock manifold.Its the standard old model tall adapter.

Look at my photo.

The stock carb should have the same bolt pattern as the offy manifold.then the adapter is used cause the boltpattern is wider on the DGV series.

You might have to get taller studs in case the stock ones are not long enough on the stock intake, but at least you dont have to remove the intake and exhaust if you dont have to.

maybe get it cheaper by saying you dont want the manifold

It should least fire with the oold carb on there by pouring a little gas in there. Have you even tried this yet?

I just got the new fuel pump and filter on there last night. I plan seeing if it will fire this evening. Fingers crossed!

I figured down the road if I upgrade the head I will already have the neat-o manifold. And at the minimum if I didn't want it, I could try to sell the Offenhauser to recoup some carb cost.

Dude its not that hard to take off the exhaust mani with the intake mani. Then you can replace the gasket and clean up the exhaust mani and paint it with the manifold paint and it really cleans up the motor appearance.

Remeber: "If something is worth doing, its worth doing right"

IT RUNS!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D For the first time in 10 years. (Running on the old stock carb at the moment.)

Good to hear.

Im sure you put GOOD anti freeze in there already.

If you dont have to dont be changing stuff around quite yet untill everything works good on there..

is this a dual point distributor?

Up grade to a Pertronix (use a single point distributor)

But if you know points its OK for awhile. But its a good upgrade to a eleltronic ignition of some sort.

But if everything is running good

I would LOWER that Bad boy this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get some new tires case the old ones are hard already!

Datdoug said change the gasket. I say NO!!! if your new to Datsun dont be fucking with stuff unless you really have to. Yes the L16 emission exhaust is ez to pull out. The L20 laterr vehicle is a bitch!!!

ewhat you reaaly want to use this rig for. Just driving .then leave it.

Buty some rubbing compund and polish it up.

Good to hear.

Im sure you put GOOD anti freeze in there already.

If you dont have to dont be changing stuff around quite yet untill everything works good on there..

But if you know points its OK for awhile. But its a good upgrade to a eleltronic ignition of some sort.

But if everything is running good

I would LOWER that Bad boy this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get some new tires case the old ones are hard already!

Datdoug said change the gasket. I say NO!!! if your new to Datsun dont be fucking with stuff unless you really have to. Yes the L16 emission exhaust is ez to pull out. The L20 laterr vehicle is a bitch!!!

ewhat you reaaly want to use this rig for. Just driving .then leave it.

Buty some rubbing compund and polish it up.

I used the prestone (I think) half and half. I still have to figure out the brakes and clutch. (Pedals go to floor, and cups are empty) before I can drive. Not to mention eventually fixing the gas tank (leak), and finding out why the blinkers and horn do not work (will need that to pass inspection.) I haven't even started looking into those yet. But I will shout if I need some help!

Tonight I smile for it has a heartbeat!

I think it is a dual points. But I am not sure how to tell? It seems to run fine, but the choke has to be pulled out a tad, or it dies. But I haven't run it more than a few minutes at a time yet. Might need to warm up more, or who knows, it has been sitting for 10 years, and I've never had a manual choke.

open up the dist cap and if you see to contack sets of point then you know,

the red blk wire is the main set i believe. Get to know these as these will give you the trouble in the future.

if in the back woods if in dought always pull the center coil wire and put close to ground turn key and if it fires then you know the points is opening. If not fire the points are closed and cjaring the coil but not dischargin or you have the power wire not hooked up to ballast resistor thru to coil ect....

wire falls off sometime

• 3 years later...

Fisch, a tube is a tube ... but the Offy manifold has a split-tube. I've heard it doesn't work any better than a stock manifold. But it definitely looks cool.

You get the gaskets from Nissan or from any parts store. It uses stock intake/exhaust gasket, stock Carb gasket.