10W-30, 10W-40 / -25 and above

20W-40 / -12 and above

single viscosity

10w / -25 and above

20w-20 / -15 and above

30 / 0 and above

40 / 15 and above

this info is from my Datsun CLYMER shop manual 1970 - 1981

Motors in good shape 10W30, poor 10W40, bad 40W. They were designed to run on them, and run a long time. Synthetic is fine if you can afford it but the advantages (if any) are really not worth the expense. Synthetic is so thin and slippery that it will squeeze past old gaskets and seals. Unless newly rebuilt with new crank seals, synthetic can and will 'leak' past them. L motor valve cover gaskets leak even with regular oil so expect it and on the fuel pump pivot pin and around the gasket there too. I put it in the tranny/trans case and diff. All started leaking so I replaced the seals. I wanted the best protection for them as they are harder to replace. The motor oil gets checked regularly and changed twice a year anyway. If it was hopped up I would.

Wait, let me get this straight, you're going for the GOOD K&N filter, but running cheap shit oil? Where's the logic in that? Valvoline isn't that expensive, it's like a dollar more per quart.

Brad-Penn 10W-40 with a Wix 51515 filter.

Good stuff, not as pricey as the big dollar synthetics, still recommended by High performance 930 builders and a few other big dollar engine guys.

FWIW for you guys old enough to remember the green kendall GT-1, that's what brad-penn is. The new GT-1 is crap.

Ok so the last owner used 10W-40 full synth Mobile 1. Is this necessary? Can I go back to conventional Valvoline 10W40? I should do an oil change soon maybe even take off the pan, clean it up, and install a new gasket. I should also do the same to the valve cover while I'm at it. Maybe some paint for her too.

Clean the oil pan....why?

Yes, no street engine needs synthetic oil. You can start putting conventional oil in. Most people put syntethic because of the advertising, or because they are unsure and it is the best. "Cheap insurance" is what I've heard several people say. Certainly there is nothing wrong with synthetic.

Wait, let me get this straight, you're going for the GOOD K&N filter, but running cheap shit oil? Where's the logic in that? Valvoline isn't that expensive, it's like a dollar more per quart.

i work at the parts house, the k and n filter is super cheap for me and i get the cheap oil by the case because my truck burns quite a bit , no sense in burning money!;) the filter however doesnt burn up, oil is oil anyways, there isnt alot, if any difference between pennzoil, havoline, valvoline, or castrol

Edited by ghettobraden

Parts Master is Baxter's house brand. It's Valvoline at half the price.

Clean the oil pan....why?

Yes, no street engine needs synthetic oil. You can start putting conventional oil in. Most people put syntethic because of the advertising, or because they are unsure and it is the best. "Cheap insurance" is what I've heard several people say. Certainly there is nothing wrong with synthetic.

I would clean it just to make sure there are no contaminants or debris getting sucked up in the sump. Who knows, could make her run a little better. Thanks for the tip on conventional.

I use Shell 5W30 because its free at work.... same with the filter, Free. But if I had to pay for oil, it would be Castrol 10W30.

I know about burning oil as well, my 85 Buick with a olds 350 in it burned 1 quart every 100 miles. I just got used oil from work and dumped it in. I used to have 4 gallons of used oil in the trunk.