Ignition Coil Mounting

Has anyone mounted a coil to the engine? I know newer cars mount coil packs to the valve cover and what not. The only worry I have is heat, can a coil overheat and malfunction? I would really like to find another mounting location other than right there, in plain sight, on the fender well. Its new style and its really ugly.

Thanks for the help

Bart

And a quick pic for you :D

Image0164.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from what i understand I don't think it is good to mount old style oil bathed coils near heat and should be mounted sideways to let the oil inside cool better internally. I think if you want to mount any coil on a motor maybe get the epoxy filled units or go with another style coil. I personally think the stock 510 location if that is the car you have is fine.

521. Im trying really hard to hide everything in the engine bay as best possible.

The coil I have is, i think, epoxy filled. Its not the old can style. It has a really funny shape. It looks very modern and doesn't match the style of the truck at all.

Several very experienced mechanics have told me that coils should be mounted upright, in a place cooled by air flow. A few years ago I had a Pertronix 40kv coil that leaked oil - dealer said it had overheated...

Freaky and Mike are right. Don't mount on the block. Vibration is NO good for it. Engines don't get that hot, but radient heat from the exhaust will cook them on the driver's side so place well away on the inner fender or maybe on the rad support beside the rad.

it dosent get as hot as a block so it will work mounted on the generator :)

Uhhh-no.Mounted on the generator you will have TWICE the vibration-from the engine AND from the generator.

The coil SHOULD be mounted vertical(oil filled coils),as far as feaseable from vibration and in a cool as posible location.

The coil on my Cobra was mounted under the dash.Never any issues.

Uhhh-no.Mounted on the generator you will have TWICE the vibration-from the engine AND from the generator.

The coil SHOULD be mounted vertical(oil filled coils),as far as feaseable from vibration and in a cool as posible location.

The coil on my Cobra was mounted under the dash.Never any issues.

lol i said HOT and yes it has more vibration on a genny:lol::eek::fu::lol::blink::)

:lol: the 59 looks like it has a factory bracket to mount that coil to the generator.

I think this whole thing is going to turn out like what a break in procedure is. Everyone you talk to is going to say something different.

Ill figure something out. Thanks Guys

:lol: the 59 looks like it has a factory bracket to mount that coil to the generator.

I think this whole thing is going to turn out like what a break in procedure is. Everyone you talk to is going to say something different.

Ill figure something out. Thanks Guys

Totally! Every photo I have seen of the 59's engine and it's english brothers seems to be on the generator for some reason! Beats me!

if a coil is supposed to be mounted upwards why did nissan ount it sidways its so the oil gets to everything internally as for mounting it to the block ive seen it done more times then i can count shit my 56 chevy has it mounted there stock

motor.jpg

as long as its on the cool side you should be fine

Edited by bonvo

Personally I would leave it in the stock location or close to the dist maybe near the headlight housing. I would not mount in car and make a long coil wire. supposedly you should have the shortest amount of wire possible and away from heat or have the wires shielded.