LED tailights 510

godzilla_753

Hi, new to the forum and new to dimes, just bought my first 510 and i love it.

im thinking about rigging up some LED tailights to replace the stock bulbs, just wondering if anyone has given this a go before. If not, and help on the subject as i tackle it would be great. My main concern is getting it to be semi lit up when the headlights are on in dark.

thanks!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the guys here on the east coast did it to his dime.

His name is Angel.

Here are some pics:

80light_mod_022_edited.jpg

Front Turn Signal Light

80light_mod_018_edited.jpg

Tail Light

80light_mod_031_edited.jpg

Side Marker Light

I remember seeing them at night and they were very bright:D

I hope this helps!

Has anybody attempted to do a light bar across the entire tailgate? I was amd going to fill in the side markers on the front and back and just have the ones in the front, then removing the rear ones entirly and put in a bumper someday. A bumper, or perhaps some kind of ground effects kit. I really just want to clean up the rear end of the 620 and I think a strip LED setup would be pefect.

The Idea is to have the running lights, Break lights and Blinkers all in one strip.

One of the guys here on the east coast did it to his dime.

His name is Angel.

Here are some pics:

80light_mod_022_edited.jpg

Front Turn Signal Light

80light_mod_018_edited.jpg

Tail Light

80light_mod_031_edited.jpg

Side Marker Light

I remember seeing them at night and they were very bright:D

I hope this helps!

thanks Dave, that mod was an easy one that worked out well. i'm working on version 2, similar styling just more LED's, or something like that:D

Parking lights

tmb_Image06.jpg

Brake lights

tmb_Image05.jpg

Parking lights and signal lights

tmb_Image09.jpg

Signal lights

tmb_Image12.jpg

pictures provided by clearcorners.com

If you have $1750 to throw around...

http://www.clearcorners.com/products/datsun/510/r_full1/

If you don't the design is HOT, so just use the pics for reference on building your own.

They also have some great pics of front lights and SSS taillights.

I looked at that site before....thats rediculous.....It makes me want to fly to where ever that company is based and dick slap the owner. And trust me if I could afford a plane ticket I would.....thats a stupid price for lights. You can buy a whole 510 for that price!

Yeah I started working on making some with breadboard and resistors but got side tracked with other projects.

led.jpg

This was just a proto, worried they are actually to bright.

led1.jpg

Also need to buy the right colour LED's to suit, but judging on the pics in these threads, my idea is going in the bin for something better.

I looked at that site before....thats rediculous.....It makes me want to fly to where ever that company is based and dick slap the owner. And trust me if I could afford a plane ticket I would.....thats a stupid price for lights. You can buy a whole 510 for that price!

Lol I could dick slap them from here lol kidding that's just something we use to say as kids :thumbsup:

But seriously if someone figures this out I would pay someone to led my 620 tail lights and valance signals

uh... really not all that hard. Just need some perf board, led's some resisters, wires etc.

Here is an LED array calculator (you can google these all over the iNet) http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

You will need, LEDs, Perf Board, solder, iron, some wire, Resisters and Diodes.

Form the perf board to fit the lamp case, mount somehow solder away!

If you are really willing to pay me, I'd be happy to try something for you.

===

Also, EL wire is a good and easy way to do stuff like this.

Edited by deadmonkey
uh... really not all that hard. Just need some perf board, led's some resisters, wires etc.

Here is an LED array calculator (you can google these all over the iNet) http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

You will need, LEDs, Perf Board, solder, iron, some wire, Resisters and Diodes.

Form the perf board to fit the lamp case, mount somehow solder away!

If you are really willing to pay me, I'd be happy to try something for you.

===

Also, EL wire is a good and easy way to do stuff like this.

NO NO NO NO NO :lol: If you prefect it and show me the lights working then I would ship them to you to do . I cant really afford to pay for a experiment

That company is one person. So all the work you see on that website is one guy. He has a lot of R&D into the LEDs and stuff he uses. The 510 lights he built were made from complete NOS red taillight sets. So that would knock like 600 off the price just for the lights.

Yep, I've been playing with it as well. I had removed my white plastic bulb housings and installed semi truck lights behind the lenses. So it looked stock from the outside, but was bright as heck when they were on. I did these probably 6 years ago.

Was going to modify my front amber housings very similar to what was shown above, and now currently working on a new design for the rears. Was just over in Taiwan for a week and the amount of LED stuff they have available to joe-blow is AMAZING. I'm probably going to leave the housings off the rear again, and build a circuit board for the lights, also similar to what was shown above.

The LED bulb replacement things suck, especially compared to the flat board style like the Semi trucks use, and what others are fabricating.

i used led bulbs in place of the stock bulbs. i actually got mine off ebay. they work great, to make them look the best, use a led that is the same color as the lens over it. i even did my backup lights and my plate lights and interior lights. the only true "bulbs" on my z is my headlights

the problem with using replacement bulb leds is that at least in my case, the bulb housings are rotted and deteriorated, and won't hold bulbs. Leds that fit behind the lens are a great option though. I do have to say though, you could get away with fewer leds if you used a proper reflector. A lot of new cars use leds, and not all use a bunch of leds. They do have reflectors designed for leds and also use lenses designed around leds. I'm sure those tractor trailer lights used above would work fine if they had a good reflector as well.

• 2 weeks later...
just bought the DEI LED license plate bolts, to replace the chunky old stock ones. nice bright white output. ill try and remember to post pics after i mount em up.

Hang on to your receipt.

I have installed them on 2 of my cars.

One light went out on both cars within a month.

Couldn't find my receipt at that time to get replacements.

In case they go out on you early.

Just a heads up.

Hang on to your receipt.

I have installed them on 2 of my cars.

One light went out on both cars within a month.

Couldn't find my receipt at that time to get replacements.

In case they go out on you early.

Just a heads up.

I bought a set of these from Autozone for the tailights in my '64 Fairlane.

led_bulbs_2.jpg

They wouldn't work in the Fairlane's DC generator electric system and, to be fair, the package suggested they might not work in a vintage system.

I tried to put 'em in the wife's '87 Maxima but they wouldn't quite fit in the housings.

Finally, I put them in my Datsun's tailights and was shocked to discover that they were not as bright as the almost thirty year old factory bulbs I had taken out :lol:!!!

I put my original, vintage bulbs back in my 510's tailights and those groovy looking $15 LED bulbs are now gathering dust on a shelf :rolleyes:.