New guy, pos '71 521 :D

shane_lxi

What's up. My name is Shane, I noticed there are alot of washingtonians on the forums, I'm on the west coast myself (check out my myspace: http://www.myspace.com/shane_lxi ). I've been in the Nissan/Datsun scene for a few years now. I've had 8 s13 240sx's myself, and my brother's had 4 510's that I kind of grew up working on (still has a '69 flared 2 door, and a '69 wagon). I just picked up this '71 521 the other day. Been wanting one for about 3 years, and when I saw this rotting in a backyard in my town, I finally decided to buy one.

Everything is mostly rust free (few surface spots, a few through spots on the passenger door) except for the cab. The whole cab is going to need to come off. The floor pan is almost gone, and the rockers are toasted. The good part is that the bed is pretty straight and rust free, all things concidered, and the fenders and hood are good too. Also, the guy that I got it from put in an l20 out of a bulletside, and a new weber carb that he only drove with for a few months before the tranny went out (which is why it has been sitting in his back yard for 8 years!). So for now, I am just going to replace the cab, flat black it, lower it, and get some wheels (thinking 15" rallies with moons and 3" whitewalls :D). Eventually bag it maybe, but I need a daily for now while I work on my 240sx project (that's going to be a fun one too). So, here's the pics, I'll update this thread as it goes :D.

dbadge.jpg

front-1.jpg

sidepart.jpg

fromback.jpg

rockerrust.jpg

floorpanrot.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your 521 looks like mine...same faded worn out look :D But honestly other than the floors & rockers its in ok shape. A good trans. swap on the 521's is easy [done it] as long as you can weld & fab a few things. Oh yeah kool rims too & welcome to Ratsun.

Well I am going to try a 4speed tranny I have from a l16 off a 510. I know I'd need to have a driveline put together for it though. Hopefully I can just find a good tranny out of a bulletside or something. We'll see.

ps: To anyone that has bagged a 521 (I think the other new member, pugz, has), are those ebay bag kits with the frame notches included a good idea. Seems like a good deal, but I know how it goes most of the time with ebay stuff. If not maybe a point in the right direction would help a little, lol.

Great to have another 521 around here. Not sure what you paid for it but those wheels, carb and l20 are prolly worth it alone.

Look forward to watching your build.

Fisch

The rest of the truck is fine, the only part that is really bad is the cab. I have sourced a few replacements, so I think I am just going to switch out the cab and fix some of the other stuff. Any other rust on the truck is only surface rust, the cab is the only truly effed up part.

I payed $200 for the truck. The L20 runs nice, and the carb is practically brand new. I might pick up this shell that a guy has, we'll see. It's just so far away :(.

Well I found a cab locally for $100 that is pretty stout still. The shell is $350, and it is 2 hours from my house. Which is definately worth it. However, as I am sure most of you are familiar with, I also have someone at home that would need convincing that I need another new vehicle :D, lol. I dont mind doing a little work and swapping out the cab personally.

Started taking the cab off today. My brother had a rear bumper that I have never seen before also. So I bolted that on. He said one of his friends gave it to him when he was thinking of getting a 521. It's a more low profile chrome bumper, as opposed to the large bulky ones that I have seen (and have on mine :P) I'll get pics up and see if anybody here has seen it before. But yeah, I'll get updated pics when the cab is off :D.

Does anybody know of a write up or faq on the best way to go about bagging a 521? I have an extra frame so I figured I'd start working on it soon.

Sounds like the bumper may be a Mazda or Toyota one but pics would help. On doing an air ride on a 521 like Tnip said it's been done & a few guys here have posted pics on the builds. The front seems to be the most work because theres not alot of room between the arms for a bag unless you run a Slam bag RE-5 or Conitech. Or the frame will need to be sectioned to allow clearence & prevent the bag from rubbing against the kingpin & or frame. Heres a 320 being built [same frame basically] & the owner sectioned the frame & notched out for the tie rod end..........

attachment.php?id=1215

The rear is easier go with a "C" or a bigger step notch to lay frame & run either a 2 or 4 link. Basically it depends on how you want it to look in the end, theres alot of ways to get there.

Got my shell today. It needs a bit of work, but the cab is alot better then mine by far!! The bed seems to be in alot worse shape then mine, but I am thinking I will run it for the time being, and start shaving/fixing the little things wrong with the straighter bed in the mean time :D (goodbye cargo hooks). But yeah, If all goes according to plan this should be a great running and driving truck in a few days! ( - a windshield that is :( )

green521sidepanel.jpg

green521rearend.jpg

Needs a little tlc in the front, I have a straight driver's fender, and all my grille pieces are good on my blue truck, so I think I have everything covered except for the sheet metal dam below the bumper.

green521frontend.jpg

The floor pan has some surface rust, but nothing all the way through, I am planning on running it for now, and welding in some new sheetmetal when I get more time and resources.

green521floorpan.jpg

I think I have too many datsun's in my driveway right now :(...

green521lot.jpg

My friend gave me this Nardi woodgrain wheel today too :D, so after a little refinish/laquer job this'll be going in the pickup also :D.

nardiwheel.jpg

Well, that's it, next pics will be after I get it running :D.