Phil's 510 2 door. The tranny 68

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil, I just did that on the front fenders of my car and mine warped too, I was talking to my buddy who builds hotrods and did the body work for me he told me that next time to cut out past the mounting screw holes (enlarge the rectangle)to avoid putting continued heat in the same place when filling in the holes and that is what most likely caused mine to warp. I guess work is work either its cutting the hole larger or doing more body work the choice is yours LOL... cant wait to see this in person

Clayton

Phil, I just did that on the front fenders of my car and mine warped too, I was talking to my buddy who builds hotrods and did the body work for me he told me that next time to cut out past the mounting screw holes (enlarge the rectangle)to avoid putting continued heat in the same place when filling in the holes and that is what most likely caused mine to warp. I guess work is work either its cutting the hole larger or doing more body work the choice is yours LOL... cant wait to see this in person

Clayton

That is exactly were the panel warped the screw holes. Lol never gave it a thought. Next time...

I didn't think there was anyone that liked the 68's as much as me!

Love the 68's. 510's natural form. Now I just have to stomach the grill. What I'd do for a 69 coupe grill...

You need to the rest of us a chance lol

Can't say fun. Love/hate thing. Oh the dances you do when you have molten metal on you!

I love love to weld. It IS fun, once you get the hang of it. i was in welding class at merts campus for 6 months, 8 hours a day... Can stick weld pretty good, got a new lincoln wire feed im going to try out soon.

Got some slag down my shirt a time or two, it burns. I even had a leather jacket on when it happened. wear some good gloves like excaliburs, cotten clothes (socks and shoes) and be careful. PS, dont wear anything gold. It transfers heat like you wouldn't believe....

The welds i saw on your build look a little boogerish. you just doing a bunch of tacks?

When you press the trigger and it starts welding it should sound like bacon frying. no popping. if its popping somethings not quite right. (yeah you can just grind it down and move on, but doesn't mean its right or getting good penetration) I can't tell on the side marker lights, you cleaned off the heat marks. The spot welds around the window looks like they did good.

Well Tim mr pro haha this shit melts holes fast. Same thing James said Mmm bacon. I'm getting better sort of. How much better penetration do you need when there is now a hole on both panels. I'm practicing and making the car. Not a scrap I don't care about. Hate sheet metal but welds. Maybe we can sit down one day . And weld away

Well Tim mr pro haha this shit melts holes fast. Same thing James said Mmm bacon. I'm getting better sort of. How much better penetration do you need when there is now a hole on both panels. I'm practicing and making the car. Not a scrap I don't care about. Hate sheet metal but welds. Maybe we can sit down one day . And weld away

Pro?? Haha.. not i... knowings one thing, doings another :D Probably warp the shit out of a panel once i do one. Pretty sure when i do some tack welds they will look boogerish too. Jus tryin to help ;)

"stomach the grille"

hey, i told you its not perfect, but you were still allll over it like a horny sex robot!!

Need a healight surround!!! And a 68 bluebird emblem then it will be passable. Getting the grill from you was great! Intercooler space maybe

I took a full year manufacturing engineering class and even though I spent most of my time in the machining room I did a ton of welding. Never could get stick welding down but was alright on mig and O/A on thicker stuff, it take a ton of practice and knowing your machine like the back of your hand!

Hate to say it but I wont be done in time. Lame... Got about 4 set backs just this week. First I don't have 68 hood hinges. Who would have known?. Second I don't have a front a 68 front apron. Third found out through the grape vine my rebuild ka is fucked!!! God. Going to have to pull it apart. And last but not least I'm not going to have the car ready by canby. I know it sucks. But even if I did. It would just be a painted shell. This body work business takes time! For example this passenger quarter had consumed over a week of my time. For those of you who've seen my car. This panel was fucked. It wasn't rusted through. So I decided to salvage it. Lots of pulling, hammer/ dolly, heating/shrinking. Getting frustrated. I've managed to get it to first stage primer ready. I imagine im going to spend a long time trying to make it look pretty. Here's some shots enjoy

19009ab4.jpg

0c911bc9.jpg

2932a908.jpg

b2a78f18.jpg

5f12c07f.jpg

836dc3b8.jpg

8c2959c7.jpg

afac273a.jpg

80534540.jpg

36365ff4.jpg

Please keep in mind I'm not a pro. Just someone trying to make a car look decent. If I wanted I show car. I would have started with a better shell.

This week end i picked up the SSS dash from Joe. Came with a few surprises like a little tray under the glove box, a throttle pedal modified for a cable, and a steering box brace. Installed it because I was exited and to check if it all lined up. I mocked it up with an Australian rhd pedal assembly. They are the same! Get to run my booster too. But all at the expense of my beloved rear end set up. Have to start thinking about interior. Dang. I want stock brown. Hint hint Mikey! Lol

9c5b957e.jpg

1baf0ba7.jpg

bc784234.jpg

50cee8da.jpg