i just got BAR Reffed in my car!

I think I read in a link posted on zilvia that an excessively loud exhaust is now up to the officer's discretion in California now.

Off topic, do you have videos of your exhaust aside from that one with the blast pipes? I'm doing a KA swap soon, wanna hear what the straights sound like.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I read in a link posted on zilvia that an excessively loud exhaust is now up to the officer's discretion in California now.

Off topic, do you have videos of your exhaust aside from that one with the blast pipes? I'm doing a KA swap soon, wanna hear what the straights sound like.

It is NOT up to the officer's discretion.THere are DB limits.And if he doesn't have a DB meter to measure your car with,any ticket is invalid.

To the KA:Are you after HP or a "sound"?

Though I was just told that pre 96 cars don't need to be smogged here any more! (Or was it 92?) Either way, that is the best news we've had on the collector auto front in years! Now my 89 Suzuki swift is exempt!
Really? Wow. Here a 1975 car will need to be tested FOREVER.

Fisch, all the fenderless hotrods really are actually exempt anyways, smog restrictions didn't even come on the market until like 1967. So none of those cars were ever required to be checked to begin with. That's why it doesn't matter for those guys. Now, that given, I think it's unfair to discriminate against any 1967 and later cars who have a newer cleaner burning engine. It would seem, that since your doing your part to clean the air, you should get a discount or refund of some sort. But no, they just make it so that it's "better" to have that old inefficient smoky motor in your older car. Doesn't make sense.

all the more reason to keep em running :fu:

or GET them running in some of our cases lol. Put more of them on the road and really piss them off.

Fisch, all the fenderless hotrods really are actually exempt anyways, smog restrictions didn't even come on the market until like 1967. So none of those cars were ever required to be checked to begin with. That's why it doesn't matter for those guys. Now, that given, I think it's unfair to discriminate against any 1967 and later cars who have a newer cleaner burning engine. It would seem, that since your doing your part to clean the air, you should get a discount or refund of some sort. But no, they just make it so that it's "better" to have that old inefficient smoky motor in your older car. Doesn't make sense.

Wow, so you can take a modern engine that has smog equipment and if you stick in in a 67 and newer car you have to have too have the smog equipment that came on the modern engine. But if you stick that same engine in a 50's rod, you don't need anything?

You're right, that doesn't seem fair at all!

It is NOT up to the officer's discretion.THere are DB limits.And if he doesn't have a DB meter to measure your car with,any ticket is invalid.

To the KA:Are you after HP or a "sound"?

oh, I thought I read that the officer can hand out tickets without a dB meter. whatever, I'm too lazy to look it up.

as for the KA, I'm doing the swap for the reliability of a newer engine, and the power. If you're talking about the exhaust, I'll put a muffler on eventually, but it's going to be a budget swap for now, so I'm planning on 3" straight. It'll be fun to drive around with it being loud as hell for awhile, anyways.

A 3 inch exhaust on a B210?

my bee has a ca18det. it's going to be straight pipe from the turbo to the fart can in the rear. i'm now thinking i might add a glasspack bullet in the middle somewhere to quiet it down a bit.

It kind of pisses me off all these car drivers get bagged for loud exhaust meanwhile billy bob on his open header bike is tearing shit up at 100+db even in the late night. Double standard much?

I want to know what the actual law states on popping the hood and db meters.

well, here is what you need ot do for the BAR ticket..... figure out how much time and cash it will take to put allt he smog crap back on, butterfly valves, egr, charcoal cannister, seal gas tank inlet perfectly ( they put a sniffer over it ).. cat, muffler, stock exhaust manifold, stock intake ( are a c.a.r.b. legal one ) and if i recall form my last stint through the BAR, $30 per test, fail or not.

Then decide, would you rather do ALL that or go to court and say you couldnt get it passed, and you will take the fine..... i payed $380 in installments of $50 a month..... and i did the stupid thing and tried to get my super modded WRX to pass first, only to find out that you dont even have to test it. You can just take a fine. You can refuse the hood pop, and tell them they need to bring a warrant for search, but that can turn ugly, cali cops are dicks.. and they can search everything!! SO you can get fined for way lame things, like your shaved side markers, ride height, down to "improper" transmission mount. In the long run it would have been easier for my to pay the $380 fine, rather than the $1200 and 4 days off of work i had to spend trying to pass........

my 2 cents.....

A ref ticket is the reason I sold my 240sx. I DID get away without popping the hood, claiming "it requires tools to open" due to the RHD conversion. HOWEVER, he looked under the car, saw no cat, and wrote the ref ticket anyways.

I traded the car away before the court date (mine would have been a $780 fine without correction, by the way), so I was able to pay a $35 processing fee and they dropped the charge.

HERE'S WHERE I GET MAD: If the state gave a flying f@ck about emissions and saving the planet, why did they let me off by just getting rid of the car?! The release of liability clearly stated that I sold it to another California native, so they can obviously assume that it's still polluting our streets, right? So, they much JUST CARE ABOUT THE MONEY!!! Total BS- almost every aspect of our government here in California is broken.

BTW- the ref station in Sacramento is OPEN, last I heard, so you're not getting out of the woods that easily.

Someone mentioned smog control in a pre-1950 vehicle. If the officer recognizes the engine as a smog control era lump, they need to conform to those laws- you smog to the engine, not the chassis. No, this doesn't mean you can put a pre-smog engine in your '95 Altima, either- no going back in years. Also, the new engine has to be from a similar classification of vehicle- no Power Stroke diesel in your '78 B210, I'm afraid...

The whole system is designed around making money. If they cared about the environment as they claim, the smog test would only go off of what comes out the tailpipe- everything else is bureaucracy.

If you need somebody to transfer your title to so you can show them you sold the car, let me know- I'll "buy" your car and "sell" it back to you after court!

i got busted at a meet a long time ago in my dime (w my l20b!) the rule is ur car doesnt have 2 b tested every two years but it does need 2 pass smog 2 b on CA roads.... (didnt know any better about saying no 2 the hood thing) well i couldnt pass smog cuz i didnt have/couldnt find that stupid pre warming flap thats in the air cleaner. the alternative was paying a $250 ticket =P ...that sucked =( which.. when u think about it is dumb as hell. i couldnt pass so i had 2 pay some more money and the case was closed.. and i got to continue thinning the ozone layer.. lol!

Sorry to hear the news.

Take a read on the antics used in this old Ratsun thread.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=3850

Too fast, too furious? Too busted, police say Owners of souped-up cars, beware.

Oakland Tribune, Jun 8, 2006 by Christine Morente, STAFF WRITER

For the first time in the county, three teams of officers from San Mateo County law enforcement agencies will be out Friday night, searching for illegal street racers and inspecting cars.

"We just want to make sure people understand it's not OK to have cars illegally modified in San Mateo County," said Timothy Birch, a Daly City police management analyst. "We can impound cars or do whatever it takes to get the message across."

Inspections will be from 6 p.m. to midnight. Birch said he does not anticipate traffic issues during the operation hosted by the Burlingame Police Department. A California Office of Traffic Safety grant will pay for the inspection operation.

This will be the first such inspection operation in the county.

Birch said a second inspection will occur June 16, because of the movie release of "Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift," the third installment in the popular street-racing series.

Birch said he doesn't believe the county is a hotbed for street racing and sideshows, where drivers perform stunts such as donuts. But officers will likely visit parking lots of fast-food places like In-N-Out Burger in Millbrae or Nations Burger in Daly City, he said. There, Birch added, some people meet and set up sideshows, or go following a race.

Friday afternoon, police will learn during a four-hour training session in Burlingame how to spot illegally modified cars. Birch said police officers will look out for cars that arebrightly colored or have lettering and graphics.

"Obviously, there's nothing illegal about that ... but sometimes, when a car is painted that way, it's tied with illegal modifications," he said. "If a car is too loud, or doesn't meet emissions requirements -- because it's a violation -- it allows an officer to pull a car over and gives police the right to go underneath the hood to see if anything has been modified."

Officers will also look for stolen parts. Birch said law enforcement agencies aren't in a position to deal with the vendors.

"We're not equipped to do it," he said. "In San Mateo County, there's very few shops that overtly sell stuff that's illegal. We can only deal with what we're seeing after it's installed."

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...8/ai_n16484090

24008. It is unlawful to operate any passenger vehicle, or commercial vehicle under 6,000 pounds, which has been modified from the original design so that any portion of the vehicle, other than the wheels, has less clearance from the surface of a level roadway than the clearance between the roadway and the lowermost portion of any rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.

Amended Ch. 462, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.

This, amongst other laws, is what makes draggin illegal. (But I still use to take out reflectors and road dots all the time.) And Is one more thing to throw and 'import' guys that are lowered with kits and slicks. --Easy solution, go low pro.

Some cops are dicks. Others arent. We've got one in vacaville thats a real douche. Ofc. A. Love... funny as shit, but true.

Fight the ticket like others have said. I always do. Got out of a couple just for showing up.

Coming to your town soon!

Of course if you have ever known any police officers, about half of them are rolling in some type of hot rod or souped up car and you can bet they are breaking a few rules.plus they drive like fucking assholes in there civilian cars because they are used to traffic just parting for them in their patrol cars. All of these enviromental laws are like their wet dream, they finally get to harrass "hot rodders" and the law fully backs them. Everyone is so PC that no one is going to challenge pollution control laws.car modifiers have got to post in the forums about their experiences because if everyone gets legal and figures all this crap out the system(police and courts) will have to back off because police will get very tired of check on all the regs everytime they pull someone over for this shit, so will the courts.

Small update:

I just called Chris (NorCalDime), and he's in the waiting room at the BAR, and has been for close to 45 minutes. He doesn't know exactly what they're doing, whether it's a full visual inspection or if they're also doing a smog check and whatnot.

I told him to call me when he's out, and I'll post an update when I hear back!