the FNG

lukey

picked up a 1976 620 last night...I know absolutely NOTHING about datsuns...open to suggestions here...kinda rusty, but paint and body work is my hobby. going custom, but not radical. It has a crapped out L20 (I believe) guy drove it home 15 years ago and it died in his driveway and wouldnt restart, so it sat in that spot till I grabbed it last night. suprisingly the bottom isnt totally shot. will get pics posted as soon as I can.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hello and welcome, u have picked the right place, this is your new home away from home, and your new family, we will help all we can, but please always consult the FAQ's first, then ask questions, and also get some pic's up or get chewed up and spit out, we love pic's, nice decision on a 620, plenty of info here, again welcome..tom :D

welcome, i just got a 620 this spring and it had sat for 14 or more years, too.

i now have it running, i revived the hydraulics on the clutch, and just today got the brakes functional.

now i need to clean out the gas tank, im so glad the put a drain plug on the tank.

oh i almost forgot.

you must post PICS!!

Died in the driveway. Probably head gasket went and overheated it OR overheated and blew the head gasket. Fixed mine for $23. Fill rad and look over entire cooling system for leaks. Hopefully there is some anti-freeze in it still and the block hasn't frozen solid every winter. If it has frozen it may have cracked the block/head or blown out a freeze plug. Check the oil for water. If gas tank empty, get some new gas, if old gas in it, drain and save for later and put some fresh in. Borrow a good battery, crank over and check for spark. No spark check the points open and close when cranking. Usually a quick rub with sand paper will clean them enough. Crank some more (might take some cranking to suck up from the tank) and then look down the carb while pumping the throttle... you should get a strong squirt of gas. You now have spark and gas it will start.

If it tries to start, change the oil and filter. Be sure to half fill the new filter with new oil. Start and warm up. Take valve cover off and check/set valve clearance. If h/g is blown you will know by now... usually steam out the exhaust pipe or over flowing rad.

it ran hot and died as he was pulling into the driveway. I checked today, the motor isnt locked up, no water in the oil, extremely low on anitfreeze, but not empty. think I may try to get it started this weekend and see whats up. also got bored, and spraybombed it satin black today...looks better I guess. will get pics up as soon as I find my stupid camera. Oh yeah, pulled the carpet out also...gonna need floorboards. oh well, it didnt really cost me anything (I painted flames on a semi for it)

Not a bad lookin truck, its a place to start. I clean up the engine a bit, run some oil over the valves, run some gas through a can at first no telling what is in that tank. And see if it starts, they are die hard engines. The fact that it still turns is a plus....ANd the black primer makes it look l alot better....Best of luck and welcome to the site....

You don't need floor boards, you just need to clean the ones you have and POR-15 them. AND GET THAT STUPID @$$ PURPLE WINDOW TINT OFF!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Considering how you can see the grass through them I beg to differ. Por-ing swiss cheese doesn't make it go away.

110% on the tints though lol.

Edited by 72240z
Guest DatsuNoob

Looks like you got your work cut out for you. Welcome to the board. And dont worry about those holes in the floor board, it's Datsun's sophisticated visual speedometer verification system. Also doubles as an auxillary AC/heating system depending on the location. I use the hole around my shift boot as a hand warmer on cold days since it's so close to the exhaust, a little draft brings up some warm air real nice.