What did you do to your dime today?

Mesh-71

hmm, I'll have to check it out.  

It's been a long time since I assembled it, but doesn't the rubber but up against the inside of the body and then the gas cap holder is on the outside of the body and just screws into the rubber?  Wonder if mine is just loose or not tight up against the body.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hmm, I'll have to check it out.  

It's been a long time since I assembled it, but doesn't the rubber but up against the inside of the body and then the gas cap holder is on the outside of the body and just screws into the rubber?  Wonder if mine is just loose or not tight up against the body.

when they are new some times you have to keep snugging them up every so often till they settle

when they are new some times you have to keep snugging them up every so often till they settle

Mine definitely isn't new, but I'll have to get in there and give it another go.  

Have thought about just cutting a piece of metal, welding some nuts to it an sandwiching the rubber between two pieces of metal.  I thought there was a guy on here thinking of making some new metal tubes, wonder if he ever did it. 

yes, the metal mounting surface around the screw holes is flat.  The only part of the rubber that is touching is the center part touching the rolled lip.  I wasn't sure if the opening of the rubber part is actually suppose to go around that?  Guess I need to come check out a good one and see how it compares to mine.

Is there a gasket or rubber seal between the gas cap and the body? 

The rubber flange of the filler neck goes on the out side I'm pretty sure

hmmm interesting, I'll have to check out a good one sometime to see how it's installed.

do you have the metal ring ?

The metal ring that goes on the outside of the body that the gas cap locks too?  This piece? Yes I have that. 

DSC08390small.jpg

monday worked on eagle adams parts ... found a timing cover and blasted his shit ...while waiting for the stripper to do its thang on my doors...

IMG_20130507_170547_zpsd5ac76e7.jpg

helping a friend rehab a z air cleaner after, accidental but wont fit on his car, purchase.......cuz its not a z...

IMG_20130507_170532_zps3df7542d.jpg

monday worked on eagle adams parts ... found a timing cover and blasted his shit ...while watching the stripper use his thang on my doors..

Fixed

Freek, I'll send you a pic of my filler neck and gas cap when I get off work

Swapped out my crap dual point dizzy for a single point one upgraded with Pertronix - what a difference! Before, once my car warmed up it would miss and miss under load. Took it out for a lengthy spin today and not a single miss and it pulled pretty well. Now for fixing the steering/suspension up front - the thing is squirly.

I also installed my new wiper and light (thanks Angela) switches though 1 wiper still only works and still no lights (I knew both weren't related to the switches though). Received a set of door mirrors today also (thanks Eric), which will be getting installed in the next couple of days.

Good to see it on the road for real! Sounds like there is still some fiddling to be done

There is, she started acting funny yesterday. Driving her around Saturday night I notice u radio would cut out, just turn on and off randomly, it wouldn't lose any settings just turn off then on.

Rewired her Sunday morning to better power wires, but it drained my battery, she drove fine to the grocery store, but needed a jump when a was trying to leave. Jumped fine started drivin ad she wouldn't take ANY throttle, pushing more than a 1/4" on the gas pedal and she fell flat and lost all power, pulled over and she stalled out, used the jump box to jump her again and noticed she ran fine with the jump box connected and wouldn't run without it.

Disconnected the radio and took her or another drive later and finally noticed my volt gauge was showing only 8 volts and if turns on the fan would drop to 4, so either I screwed up some wiring somehow or my alternator is done for.