Can anyone reccomend a TACH to fit into the empty housing?

g-mam

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kanto Seiki. Original Datsun tachometer, I think it came from a 1978 620.

Call Rod's Datsun Parts, I'm sure he has more. But he gave me a special show price. They often go for $75 to $100.

He quoted me $250 :eek:

That ain't gonna happen!

I put an old school sunpro tach in my 620 cluster. Theres a bracket attached to the back of it that screws into a metal brace...

104tachindash.jpg

Can't seem to locate that one. Maybe discontinued?

You can still get the tach brand new from the dealer. Dont know the part number, but this is what I recommend. Go to the dealer and ask for the part number. Then with that part number go to nissanparts.cc and ask for a price online. They usually go for 250$ new or less....

Guest DatsuNoob

Autometer 3 3/4" fits okay, the outer bezel sticks out of the rim of the cluster hole (not flush mount), but I think it looks okay. That's what I bought for my truck.

You can still get the tach brand new from the dealer. Dont know the part number, but this is what I recommend. Go to the dealer and ask for the part number. Then with that part number go to nissanparts.cc and ask for a price online. They usually go for 250$ new or less....

Old Datsun Tach P/Ns typically start with the first 5 of "24855-", if that helps...

4 cylinder engine, negative ground. 924's aren't real common in yards, but they aren't worth much, either, so they do turn up. If memory serves, the needle swings in a 270 degree clockwise arc starting at about 5 o'clock, and the gauge faces are different between early & late cars - early had white on black gauge faces, later ones were green on black.

Shortly after buying my 620KC I found a 924 in a local P&P - the tach hole in the 924 instrument cluster was almost identical in size to the hole in the 620 panel, but the tach was already gone. I've been watching for another 924 to turn up at P&P ever since.

If you remove the three screws in each instrument housing at the top, what else is holding this in? I need to get this out to install my tach.

What, the bezel?

The cigarette lighter holds it in from the back (screws in from behind, need small hands or small channel-lock pliers through the radio hole to unscrew it), plus there's a bolt that holds the gauge cluster to the metal dash frame (from below)- a second one if there's a clock or tach in the left hole. Oh, and the wiper switch and heater knobs have to come out too.

I took that exact sunpro tachometer, took the chrome ring and glass off, and fabricated factory brackets from a delete plate, and factory clear cone off a cracked guage cluster to make it look almost like an original. I forgot to put the rubber back in the tach and I've been too lazy to pull it back out and fix it. Thats why you can see the white in it.

4.jpg

TachinDatsun.jpg

TachCloseUp.jpg