Datsun "elephant" oil caps

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to burst your bubble but are you trying to say that those are something special? I never thought so. I've picked those up from time to time at the junkyards over the years and must have at least 30 of them. These two I've attached are harder to find. The 'elephant' cap without the word 'OIL' on it or the cap that just says 'OIL" are likely worth something but I don't think the ones you pictured are.

izt3k0.jpg

I never knew there was a difference! I was psyched I just got an elephant with 'oil' in an engine I bought. Thanks for clearing that up!

I had 5 but recently people have been wanting them soooo. They are for sale. Plus I need the money badddddd.

Seroiusly? The oil ones are worth more/more rare? I see them and just leave them there... I thought they were aftermarket. The other I have never seen. JDM?

I'm cheaper than this guy. http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=12380&highlight=oil+cap

Seriously I need the money so just give me an offer.

Edited by Motavated

I didn't know there was such a market for them. And I'm not trying to spoil that for you. I've always had them. I hope they sell and I'll look into selling mine. The one that just says 'OIL' was the early 1970 240Z oil cap, first four or five months of production from what I understand. I don't know where the other one came from but it's genuine Nissan since Elephant was their brand back in the day.

4rc9r7.jpg

Nah, I understand. I would of done the sammmmmme thing. I was like WTF? Are you kidding me? I find these oil caps everywhere. You wont sell that for 20$. WTF, you sold it! Are they that rare?!?!??!?

So I'm just trying to sell two for 20$ and not one. I don't need them. I only have one Datsun. :D I just take them home when I pay 2 dollars to enter the junkers and the only thing I get out of it is a stupid oil cap.

Heres how you do it. Late 90s cargo pants. UNDER some over sized mechanics overalls. Load up the cargos. Grab a couple light bulbs and just pay for thoes. Gotta be oily too. Makes u more legit. Wear a bandana too:rolleyes:

h2thehizzo, want to trade? :lol:

So 15 with shipping on the darker one. obo

and 17 with shipping on the dirtier one (better shape) obo

and 25 for both with shipping in both. obo

I also have a blank "blank" one. I think some one just grinded of the oil part. Its some were in my pile of junk.

Edited by Motavated

Both for 15 shipped.

6 different ones for 20 plus shipping.

You cant beat that with a baseball bat.

Plus mines are in waaaaayyyy better condition. Look at the pics! He!

Edited by Motavated
  • 5 months later...
I didn't know there was such a market for them. And I'm not trying to spoil that for you. I've always had them. I hope they sell and I'll look into selling mine. The one that just says 'OIL' was the early 1970 240Z oil cap, first four or five months of production from what I understand. I don't know where the other one came from but it's genuine Nissan since Elephant was their brand back in the day.

4rc9r7.jpg

That's ATF but they did have their own brand of lubricants so named after some dazzling successes in the East African Rally.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Elephant

Weird, I have the Datsun junk yard at my place and I have never seen an oil cap like these...but then I only do the 60's and early 70's Datsuns. Anyone having any unique caps that will fit the E1 or 1300 or 1600 cc engines, let me know...I will buy one. I found one from the early MGBT's was on one of my cars...it is really neat too. Scalloped edges with names of different oil manufacturers printed on it. Cute. No, they aren't just oil caps. They are cool stuff.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.