Wagon 4 link advice?

johnbureezu

I'm getting my ducks in a row to get my wagon 4 linked. I want to have most if not all of the parts before the cutting begins.

Right now my rear end (ford 8.8") is at the shop getting shortened to match the stock goon dimensions. I'm actually going to have the shop take a 1/4" off of each side to give me a lil more room for deeper offset wheels.

Heres where i need a lil help. Prolly going to use this kit from suicidedoors.com because of the quality, but do you guys know of anybody else I should consider?

http://suicidedoors.com/UniversalTriangulatedSuperPivot4-LinkKit.php

Now, what coilover setup should I run? I haven't done much research on shocks other than looking through a jeg's catalog. What should I be looking for when choosing a coilover setup?

Oh yeah, i guess i should tell you guys my setup and plans for teh car to get a good opinion, eh.

1972 wagon with an SR20det(future plans for bout 350hp)

The car is semi daily driver and I like to drive hard occasionally(dori dori)...hence the monster rear end. It already has 280z struts coilovered with 225lb eibachs. I really like to use the rear cargo area for what its intended, hauling shit and people around so no crazy cage going in. Would 250lb spring in the rear suffice? Simplicity is key.

I really want to do this right the first time round. Been reading up on HillbillyHectors setup and I'm using it as a reference. Seeing that he had to redo it himself. I dont have the skills(yet) or the money(yet) to do it twice or thrice.

So please fire away with comment and suggestions, I need them.

Very Happy

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

can we get a link or such to hillbilly's setup. Don't usually see much wgn stuff. Steve Epperly...ZTherapy was working on a bolt on 4 link for the wgn's. I'm supposed to be going to his shop today...I'll try to remember to ask about it when I see him.

Have you talked to Hillbilly? I saw his car at shasta last year, it didn't have a rear seat. Did he ever get one in? You should get him to join ratsun :D

Forest (aka Hillbilly Hector) doesn't do much 510 stuff anymore. The wagon is in the same state that it was last year at shasta. I think he realized that there really isn't much money in 510's...

I see him at local auto-x's sometimes, and the other Hillbilly Hectors guy Joey, but they don't have the shop anymore. Its a shame, I loved having a local 510 shop.:cool:

Here's a link to his 4-linked wagon...http://www.the510realm.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-3518-start-0.html

can we get a link or such to hillbilly's setup. Don't usually see much wgn stuff. Steve Epperly...ZTherapy was working on a bolt on 4 link for the wgn's. I'm supposed to be going to his shop today...I'll try to remember to ask about it when I see him.

Did I hear bolt on 4 link kit? Really, what rear end do they plan to use with it? If you can find out more info it would be greatly appreciated. That would save a ton of cash and time!

Forest (aka Hillbilly Hector) doesn't do much 510 stuff anymore. The wagon is in the same state that it was last year at shasta. I think he realized that there really isn't much money in 510's...

it is for sale then? ask him that too :D

of course i wont disappoint his expectations and ill just offer a few dollars for all that effort so far.

Turns out we were really short on time today, so I didn't have time to talk to him about it. I did not see it around anywhere, so my guess is that it has been dropped. I got to thinking about it....it's been at least years since I was down there last. I may see him again in 2 weeks at the next DatNW meeting. I'll try to remember, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it :( Sorry 'bout that!

• 8 months later...

Well, Its been a while since i posted on here with updates on the goon. A lot of progress has been made so here are the pics. Tell what you all think. i'm pretty stoked on how it turned out.

2917601_13_full.jpg

2917601_23_full.jpg

2917601_26_full.jpg

2917601_30_full.jpg

2917601_33_full.jpg

2917601_34_full.jpg

2917601_35_full.jpg

2917601_36_full.jpg

i really hope to have it running sometime in June. :D

Constructive criticism:

I think your panhard should be parallel to the axle in both axis at ride height. It seems like it is gonna bind through the axles travel and at the least wear those rod ends prematurely, at the worst tear a hole in your subframe.

Other than that looks pretty good. I like the bend around the floor pan and the ride height adjustment in the coilover mounts :cool:

Any shots of the front mounts from the side, underneath?

• 1 month later...

Its been a while since I gave you guys some updates on the goon. The 4 link is pretty much done now. It was a slow process but came out perty clean if you ask me. Heres a few shots of of it on the ground for the first time since 9/07.:mellow:

Don't mind the suspension all jacked in the rear, that before adjustment.

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

Everytime I see the upper bar I get woo..

ry%3D320

Heres my tank made by alumiworx.

ry%3D320

Damn, I cant wait to drive 'er.

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

2eDeYe;59122']Constructive criticism:

I think your panhard should be parallel to the axle in both axis at ride height. It seems like it is gonna bind through the axles travel and at the least wear those rod ends prematurely' date=' at the worst tear a hole in your subframe.

Other than that looks pretty good. I like the bend around the floor pan and the ride height adjustment in the coilover mounts :cool:

Any shots of the front mounts from the side, underneath?[/quote']

I see what you mean about the panhard bar. Think I'm gonna have to check that out this weekend. May have to extend the bracket thats welded to the frame eh. Good lookin out.

Heres a shot from below.

2917601_31_full.jpg

And a shot with the axle where I want it to sit. panhard is pretty parrallel (sp?) in this pic. But I can see how a bit lower on the frame side will help.

2917601_24_full.jpg

By parralell, I also meant with the axle. In this pic you can see how one end is in front of the coilover and the 'frame' end is behind the coilover. It should really be in line with the axle perpindicular to the 'frame' rail. That way it won't want tear at the connection points it will just want to travel in an arc.

2917601_24_full.jpg

Looks good on all four :cool:

Guest DatsuNoob

That's cool :cool: Wondering if the trailing arm angles can be adjusted. This is giving me ideas for my truck. Did you buy a kit, or make everything? Thanks for all the pics, nice work.

John that came out really nice. Good to see her on the ground. Question did you have too modify the driveshaft tunnel at all? Looks like you work at a body shop correct?

Well we haven't did the tunnel just yet. Were waiting for the driveshaft so that we can see what we need to make clearance for. Honestly, I dont think we need to go too crazy with the tunnel. Might even be able to get the clearance we need with an air hammer...oh joy. I actually work over at National City Motorcycle, but the car is at my buddies' shop over in Barrio Logan holmes. :P

Got the cool 1904 address. lol

2eDeYe;66596']By parralell' date=' I also meant with the axle. In this pic you can see how one end is in front of the coilover and the 'frame' end is behind the coilover. It should really be in line with the axle perpindicular to the 'frame' rail. That way it won't want tear at the connection points it will just want to travel in an arc.

Looks good on all four :cool:[/quote']

I see what you mean. Thanks for bringin that up. Been doing some reading since you posted that last night and I think were gonna have to do some adjustments. Sucks that its all together now though. I hope the axle housings take to the heat well. Gotta do some brainstormin now.

That's cool :cool: Wondering if the trailing arm angles can be adjusted. This is giving me ideas for my truck. Did you buy a kit, or make everything? Thanks for all the pics, nice work.

Every link is adjustable and its from a kit from thorbeck bros, but you can get it cheaper through fbi. But its all pretty much fabbed from there. Long long process.