mklotz70 Posted May 27, 2009 Report Share Posted May 27, 2009 I did a set of these for my NL...nice to have suspension travel back! These have been in the works with pl521sss for quite awhile now. I know Canby's coming. I should be knee deep in my own projects, but I've got a couple of these kinds of projects hanging over my head....I'd like to get them done. It's a good thing I took so many pics of my NL's LCA's when I did them!!!! I keep having to refer back to them to figure out what I did!Disclaimer!!! This is how I did it. I used a set done by a shop in town many years ago as a guide. I think mine are actually stronger. I know they have better ground clearance. Anyway....I don't know that they are stronger. Mine have held up for the last year or so, but I don't drive the NL much. I just don't want to see someone cobble some scrap together, then try to blame my design when there crap breaks! Got it?! Anyone even hints at holding me responsible for their F'ups, I'll quit posting pics of this king of thing all together!!We start off with two stock 521 lower control arms. these are pretty much the same as the 320/520/620 arms, with some minor differences. The 320 shock mount is different, but that won't matter any way.I took my templates from the NL's brackets and drew them up in CAD. I printed them in actual size so I could glue them to tag board. It's easier to cut them out with the tin snips. The tag board makes them a lot more durable and gives a tall enough edge to drag a scribe around when marking the metal.The gussets will "build" a pocket into the arm so that the shock will mount between them, not on top of the arm. It gains about 1.5" of shock travel. I had to do it to the 320 since the shock towers are shorter and the shock would bottom out if mounted on top. Not sure on the 521's if this is needed. It would be a ton easier if it wasn't needed!!!! But...pl521sss wanted the pocket anyway. On the NL...I could drop it another 3" and still have shock travel.....but I'd be metal on metal before then. I make a new tension control rod mount while I'm at it.....so the one hanging underneath isn't needed either. Adds some needed ground clearance!!!Time to do some marking and cutting. The shaft is from a front strut I cut up. Fits really nicely...not much play. Makes it easier for me to get an accurate measurement. I'm not going to go into explicit detail since this is just for your viewing pleasure You certainly don't find this in any of today's cars!!! Slag!! These were made before MIG was common. The needle scaler made quick work of it, then back in the blast cabinet Started mocking things up to see if the artwork I did was close enough. It needs a few tweaks, but it's pretty close. Quote Link to comment
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.