Z'd LCA's for 2" drop on kingpin trucks, mklotz70

Thanks guys!!! Sorry...didn't get any notifications on these.....must have been during the "glitch" :)

lt me know where to paypal you the $$ for a set of these

pm me and we'll discuss the details and my paypal. :)

2eDeYe' timestamp='1331998981' post='655419']

Love the tooling Mike, that scribe template is gonna be handy for you. :cool:

I do everything like I'm going into production, but since I don't want to do production, I may never make any more! LOL! I prove my siggy every day!!

Hey Mike, glad I was part of "pressuring" you to do this again. Its full of awesomeness. I was really not in any kind of hurry but your getting me excited now...

I know your busy in getting these complete, but I don't know if you recall, we were going to try to make mine 1/2" shorter...still a possibility? If not, I can live with it, but that 1/2" goes a long way for me...

Thanks for the hard work, dedication and support to the cause...

P.

...glad you reminded me. I just went and took a few pics and did a bit of measuring. The first pic..... the scribed lines are the cut marks...they're about 5/8" apart. Allowing for blade width in the cut, it will still be a solid 1/2" or more taken out. But, the verticle 1/4" plate goes back in. That means that all the arms will be shortened up about 3/8". The next couple of pics are with the first run of plates. If you'd like, I could make your set with these side plates. It will shorten the arms up another 1/4", but that's at the sacrifice of the shock space. You'll lose 10 degrees of swing....you can refer back to previous pics in this thread to help you decide. Luckily, the outside of the shock is just the fluid reservoir and not the tube the piston rides in, so a couple of dents won't hurt anything. I'll do the same clearancing on them as the other arms, but you may need to go back in and do some more grinding to get some of the shock clearance back. If you have limited travel in your suspension, it may not be an issue. PM me which way you want to go and I'll tie which ever plates to your arms so I can't forget. :)

100_2092.jpg

100_2094.jpg

100_2095.jpg

100_2096.jpg

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, there's not really much to see most of the time. :)

Yep....tons of pics.....long load time. I don't even try to view this thread on my phone!

With any luck, this page will end and start a new one since I've got another 50 or so pics to load.

• Like 1

Yea!!!

Okay.....warning.....tons of pics!

I've said it before....I post a lot of pics for two reasons.....someone might need that extra angle of view, but mostly because I refer back to my own threads for a reference when I do something similar in the future.

I had to drill a hole in the pivot point since a pin had rusted itself into that hole years ago. The punch isn't real accurate, but close enough for what I needed....which was to get the angle on the tension rod mount.

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

No one can say they couldn't see how it's done, that's a shitload of photos.

Your a patient man, no way I could do it, I am to impatient, my brain says, "GET IT DONE, MOVE ON TO NEXT THING", nope, I could never make a professional looking one, it would look scary, but would likely work correctly without breaking, but very scary looking.

I started another thread about removing the LCA bushings...... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/41819-lca-bushing-removal-mklotz70/

Figured this thread was about the arm build and didn't need that info here.

I will, however, include the lower bushing I made to aid in this build. I really wasn't happy with the punch as a pivot point.......so I pulled out some 1.5" AL that I got from gcmustang(Thanks!!) and made a bushing. I actually cut enough to make two, but I got in a hurry and rather than turn the OD on one half, turn it around and turn the other half, I started parting it off once I got the first OD turned. I managed to break my parting tool in the process....$105 down the drain :( ......and ended up having to cut it in the bandsaw. Once I got it cut, it dawned on me that I F'd up! Oh well.....for this project, I really only need one......so I bored out the center hole and called it good. :)

IMG_0234.jpg

IMG_0236.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

IMG_0240.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

I wonder how bad it would be if I went to solid aluminum or bronze bushings...

need some sort of lubrication... delrin would be a much better option. easier to fab up a set using spherical bushings or buy some delrin and machine it to spec

Yep...you wouldn't want aluminum.

So, here's a few pics of measuring oldskoolvw's arms to make them just a bit shorter. I took some vid that will explain it much better, but that will have to wait for tomorrow......almost out of battery and time.

IMG_0264.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

Spent a bit more time on the arms today. I finally figure out how to add the last piece to the jig. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. I've measured it multiple ways and it's right on the money. Progress has been slower than I had hoped this week......tweaked my back at work....one of those annoying pains that doesn't lay you up, but really is just bad enough to constantly remind you not to push it.

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0287.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0289.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

ratsun sure has some weird glitches with this last upgrade. Wouldn't let me post more than one "media" link. Won't let me right click to paste either. When I try to post a stack of pic links from photobucket, I like to separate them with a line....I have to double tap the enter key for it to take. sheez.

I thought I had taken/posted pics like this before. If mass equates to strength, then these arms are much stronger in the end :) The removed parts aren't complete, but then again, the tension rod mount and the shock mount weren't exactly structural pieces on the stock arms. Also, the final welding on the arms will add a noticeable amount of metal. :)

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0336.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg