70mph, first run on hwy

SHADY280

so today i got the truck out on the open road, had to haul some branches to the dump, then take it to the shop for the rest of the work i cant do in my garage. so i decided to put it to the wood. took the little truck quickly up to 70mph. it wasnt even topped out, and i only got a 4 speed. i thought theses things had trouble at 55mph??? i was quite impressed since i never drove it when i bought it months ago. seems to have a decent amount of power for a 1.8

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys here are all wusses... They care about laws and not destroying their trucks! Weird I suppose. What you need is a L20B with a 5Speed then you can be crazy like me:D:eek:...

95.jpg

I wonder if that could have assisted in my blown head gasket and other problems... Nah. High speed is good for a truck... right?

How well did she drive at 70? These trucks are crazy reliable and take a beating... I feel kinda bad for mine but I am glad to hear that someone else is willing to have a little fun and push their truck a little more.

oh then i must be your best friend, im always pushin mine to see what she can do.. i try to be careful tho.. an not brake the speed laws too much.. i have a 4spd and like i've said a few times on another post 70mph is no problem, i have the speeding ticket to prove it, you also have to becareful which 5spd you get because the zx tranny will slow your take off acceleration an such.. better on gas tho.. i guess..

yea they go faster then 55mph lmao, all u have to do........... is push the pedal down further.. simple eh? and yea the Stock 620 5spd is a good one.. cause 5th is over drive an the other 4 are identical to the 4spd so u keep your peppy little pickup.. not sure if the rear ends are different tho i always for get which is which

The Z 5-speed barely makes any difference in 1st gear and that's where you have the most power. I could take off in 2nd with an L18. Just get the super tall 5th so you go easy on your engine.

The thing is, people don't want to stay at 4000 rpm all day long. that's why they don't drive 70 all the time but yes they will go that fast.

If the truck is squirrley at that speed then you need to replace some steering components.

the coolest part it was so sturdy at that speed, i was following my fiancee to the shop (2000 xterra) and she thought i was gonna lag behind at hwy speed, but i was right on her bumper!! surprized her. hehe. im looking for a 5 speed for the truck, itll prolly be one of my many laying around, currently 2nd gear bounces out if ya let off the gas, so i cant even get it smogged. its gonna be at the shop for some time now till it gets disc brakes, and paint and a 1" lower,plus carpet, and some seats that fit my 6' frame, oh and dont forget the 17's. :D

Guest DatsuNoob
I have a stock 620 5speed... Seriously all should get this tranny... 70 MPH for a first run on the freeway is awesome! that is a hell of a feat. The old guys shouldn't be saying stuff about the truck having any difficulty doing 55 because it scares all the n00bs away from these vehicles.

Hey now, go easy on us "4 speeders":) Mine sounds like it's gonna blow doin' 60. Dont know why, but that's just what it sounds like. I always cruise the slow lane and get passed by the grannies, but hey, atleast this high risk driver doesn't have to worry about another reckless driving ticket :D. Better get me a tach to verify my engine speed though. I got an empty hole where it should be, wish I had a stock tach, they look cooler and flow better with the look of the other stock guages. That's probably why I've been heistant on buying an autogage one. Anyway, I agree with Bleach on the zx tranny. Lower RPM's at high speeds is where it's at. That's what I'm after. Wasting gas sucks too, unless you're built to spank Hondas :P.

I do 65 mph at 3000 rpm's for about 50 miles on the freeway one way to work 2-3 times a week... thats over 100 miles a day on the freeway and this little truck keeps going and going......I swithed the rear end gearing to 3:70's and that made the whole difference.

Don't those 3:70s make one hell of a difference Jason? "Ol Yeller has been that way for almost 3 years and I am so happy I did that...best money i ever spent. LOL (on the Truck!)

well im not sportin a datsun because i want good gas mileage.. an if she blows she blows, i drove her coosbay and back (500 miles or so) 4000rpms the whole way.. not 1 problem, im not doin anything that is going to make my truck any slower.. even if it saves on gas, im NOT interested screw hondas may they burn in hell! lol :P

use part of that other gauge cluster and cut out one of the stock plastic guage cones. Then get a plain black aftermarket tach cheap. Install it in there with the clear Datsun gauge cover. It'll look close to stock.

That's what I did too. I got a factory tach but it had a flat plastic cover?? did not look right with the others so I cut a pair of cones and it was a perfect match, even had nipples.

Josh, maybe a set of 4:11s. Don't worry about 4,000 RPM. The L was over engineered and can take it. I used to wonder about it but once, when I was coming through the mountains I noticed that I had been climbing for over half an hour in third, at full throttle and 4,000 RPMs. Keep them tuned, full of fresh oil, and don't over heat them= over 300,000KM.

yea mike, i've heard that many many times, l motors are made for staying at those high rpms, and i always have fresh oil in mine.. i use castrol gtx high mileage 10w 40 should i go thicker? i dont intentional intend to destroy my truck, but i want to have some fun ya know.. an shes usualy more then up for a little tire spin or honda ditchin, what would the 411's do for me? lower rpms or more go go?? got any for trade? lol

A 4:11 ratio will drop your RPMs slightly at the same speed (in any gear). You can't get something for nothing and a lower rear gear will make take offs more sluggish especially with a heavy load. Lower RPMs might raise your gas mileage and your top speed. A five speed will lower RPMs at cruising speed without sacrificing low speed torque.

If you like smokin' Hondas stick with your 4:375s. If you want some top end to try and smoke a 280zx get the 4:11s or even lower.

a tach would be nice for me too... when i bought my 521 i drove back down from atlanta on hwy42, of course the speedo doesn't work and so i thought i was only doin like 50... my dad was following said i kept to about 65 the whole way (4spd, L16).