1980 200sx build

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, unbolt the fuel injectors and lift away from the intake leaving the fuel rail and lines connected to them. Remove the high voltage coil wires to the dizzy cap to prevent a possible fire. Lay several rags under the injectors to soak up any fuel.

Hold the injectors up so you can watch them fire and turn the ignition on. I believe there is a timed relay to turn the fuel pump on for several seconds until the starter engages. With fuel pressure, the injectors should be off and able to hold the pressure without leaking. Crank it over with the starter and all injectors should fire together with every turn of the crank. The injected fuel should be a fine atomized mist and not a spray of droplets. The spray should be clearly defined and no dribbling or leaking between pulses

Thanks Mike

Got a good spray

injector4.jpg

Did notice that after drying the injectors with no power or pressure to them they leak slowly. These damp spots on the cardboard appeared within minutes and continued. Not sure if this leak is bad enough to cause such bad misfires. Perhaps it leaks more when running. The injectors did leak about the same while they were getting power/pressure with the ignition switch on.

injector2.jpg

injector3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, that tank does look a little rough. Are just the baffles plastic? Unless its a pretty damn big tank, I wouldn't thik it needs baffles. They are probably brittle as hell, break them up with somthing and get them out of there! Then proceed with the normal cleaning and coating of your tank.

I was bored so I disassembled the sender and cleaned it, got it working again. Still need to clean it a little more.

misc5.jpg

So I am testing the molasses for rust removal. My hope is to use it to clean out my gas tank. This pic is the headlamp buckets after 5 days maybe, looking good. They were solid rust.

misc8.jpg

The next two picks are of a 1200 coupe gas tank I grabbed at the JY today. If my tank doesn't clean up I will use it. It is in great shape. I think the 1200 only had 50k miles on it. Funny, every cat that walked by today had to talk about the 1200. Most said they had one at one point ...BS I say. I even heard some foreigners talking, all I could make out was "120A". Ha ha.

misc3.jpg

misc9.jpg

Rest of my haul today, belts came out of the 1200 but are not original ... I assume. Check out that 1200 fuel sender. I don't know why but I pulled the data plate.

misc.jpg

Some parts from ebay.

Ball joint and filters.

misc1.jpg

Two dollar lens

misc2.jpg

F and R pads, same price as aftermarket.

misc4.jpg

Grease seals

misc6.jpg

4 front caliper rebuild kits, cheap

misc7.jpg

Got some GL4 at napa today, 25. ouch and a hinge kit 675-5157. Had the ID/OD sizes but couldn't find the right kit. Searched online and the kit/install came up on NWDA. Awesome.

b7.jpg

Trimmed the bottom and put in a groove for the c-clip.

b8.jpg

Found this cat-back for the 80 200sx on classic garage. They said it was the last one. 142. shipped, not bad.

b6.jpg

"The muffler used by Ferrari" ... on a datsun. :lol:

b2.jpg

Plenty of cool looking stickers on this.:blink:

b5.jpg

I am looking at getting new struts up front. I am unsure of the parts I need. What comes in the strut kit? I think I need a gland, o-ring, and bearing then look for worn, cracked parts on the rest? I am not sure on any of this as I

So I am looking at this insert kit and the seller is not sure if all parts are included. It looks to me like two glands or holders and two lock nuts. But what is that big washer? Basically can I make this work? It is for a 200sx.

strut.jpg

All those parts look like work to me!:blink:

Keep it up man...It's gonna be one of the only ones on the road when your done.

Lot of work for sure and sadly I think it will be a rarity. Seems like a lot of people had these or had experience with them and in general liked them.

Hey if it runs... it runs ok.

It runs let it be or it runs and you need to figure out whats going on before the engine explodes and the car burns to the ground? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, lost track of this thread.

The injectors all fire at the same time and fire once for every turn of the motor. For a four stroke this means half the fuel needed is supplied with every turn. The ECU should fire the injectors every other spark plug firing. (should)

Hey if it runs... it runs ok.

So I took the injectors off so I could visually check the injection. Indeed, each time the -coil is grounded the injectors fire. Whereas the injectors should fire every other spark plug firing (or - coil grounding) as stated. Could it be the ECU is somehow getting the signal twice due to a short? And no it's not running all that great ... no power. So Ive got to figure this out. :lol: It's driving me nuts!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think it would be a total waste to go carb just because you have a wiring issue. Thats like cutting your nose off because you have a sniffle. Just my .02

So as much as I don't want to, I may have to carb this thing to get it going. F/I is great ... but I'd rather have a running 200sx then yard art.

Anyone know of a write up on swapping FI to Carb?

Check the numbers on your ignition control units... since you swapped in one you got from mike, its probably a long shot, but if the numbers are different, it could cause it to run funny??

I think it would be a total waste to go carb just because you have a wiring issue. Thats like cutting your nose off because you have a sniffle. Just my .02

A running carbed car is better for me than a non-running F/I car.

Check the numbers on your ignition control units... since you swapped in one you got from mike, its probably a long shot, but if the numbers are different, it could cause it to run funny??

No change.

I'm sure running is better for everyone not just you lol. My point was to fix the problem properly not just eliminate it.

I know your frustrated, saw your threads on zcar and what not.