1980 200sx build

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll check on the parts you need within the next couple of days. Do the hood scoops need to have good chrome on the plastic (I think they are plastic)? I'll probably have a question or two on the other parts after I look at the car again.

Len

Cool. No need for good chrome. Most of this stuff doesn't have to be in good shape just something I can work with. Do you have a build thread on your 79 200sx ... I love those. I've only seen one in person and it was sitting on top of a car in a JY.:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Len

These images show the front end differences between the 80-81 and 82-83.

Note the difference in the headlight surrounds. The turn signal lens is bigger and more vertical on the 82-83. The fenders, hood, and bumper are very different as well. From what you described I think the parts are correct.

Thanks

1980 200sx

1980black200sx.jpg

1983 200sx

83200sx.jpg

I will be doing my brakes and suspension before long on my 1980 200sx and was wondering about struts/shocks/brakes improvement options. It's struts on the front and a 4 link with shocks and coils on the rear. It looks like 210/b210/hl510 and possibly 810 suspension parts will interchange. The only options I see are KYB GR-2 and stock. Anyone know of anything else? Brakes are 4 wheel disc non-vented rotors. Single piston calipers all around. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I read the 77-79 200sx's will work (on a 510). But yeah if the 80 models will work on a 510 that would be awesome. I certainly would go to the 280zx suspension. Have you seen any write-ups, or confirm 80's will work on 510? Thanks.

Edited by athoose
To make it more specific.
I read the 77-79 200sx's will work (on a 510). But yeah if the 80 models will work on a 510 that would be awesome. I certainly would go to the 280zx suspension. Have you seen any write-ups, or confirm 80's will work on 510? Thanks.

I gave a set ('80 200sx) to a buddy in Vancouver. I'll check with him to see but I think it was for one of his 510's.

I gave a set ('80 200sx) to a buddy in Vancouver. I'll check with him to see but I think it was for one of his 510's.

That would be great!

I did come across this, sadly no second part (to be continued) and the author did not verify.

http://dimequarterly.tierranet.com/tech/brakes.html

This is cool. It's an HL 510 with s-12 suspension up front, not sure how much they had to modify things. A common upgrade for s-12 is s-13/14, very simple.

There has to be a break at some point in this A=B, B=C etc... Otherwise 510's will be running S-14 front ends, they aren't are they? :lol:

http://www.fatboyraceworks.com/gallery/v/510/rearend/

It’s been raining a lot so I’ve not accomplished much on the 200sx lately. I have parts on the way. :D

I researched rear-end options. Interestingly, the first year of the US S12 (1984) came with a live axle, H190 ML and appears to be very similar to the S110 rear-end with the exception of drum brakes and gearing. The 82-83 H190 ML gears, I believe, were high, possibly 3.54, which would not allow any gear higher numerically. Unless the H190 housing is the same as the H190A housing and by switching the H190A center section to the H190 housing you could run the gear set 3.545-3.889. The 84 S12 H190 ML had a 4:11. So the plan is acquire an 84 S12 rear-end. Put my 1980 S110 disc brakes on it. Acquire an H190A ML 3.88-9 or 4:11 ring and pinion with 12mm ring gear bolts to install an LSD that is an H190A ML requiring 12mm ring gear bolts.

It may be best, if possible, to acquire axles and brakes from an 82-83 S110 as it may be necessary to remove bearings, collars etc to get the backing plates and caliper brackets off. Hopefully I can source all these parts with possible exception of the LSD at the pick and pull.

If anyone knows for certain the ring and pinions available for the 82, 83, 84 200sx, please let me know. Additionally I need to verify the S110 and S12 housings are the same, or close enough to swap. An S12er did a write up on swapping to s110 discs and noted the axles appeared to be the same length though the s110 axles taper, I suspect he acquired them off an H165 S110.

Edited by athoose
changed word thou to though for clarity

'80 and '81 200sx (S110) use the H-165-B rear end with disc brakes and 3.70 or 3.889 depending on tranny. (at least in Canada I have both) '82 and up use the H-190-? I doubt the '77-'79 200sx used anything larger than the H-165-B.

Rear disc brakes were used on all 200sx except the one model year..'84, with the CA20 motor. H-190 rears were used till Nov. '84, then switched to the R-180 with the CA20. An R-200 was used with the '85 and up CA18ET and the '86 VG30E ... again all rear disc.

Edited by datzenmike

Am I the only one thinking that dropping a vg30et into this model 200sx (making a datsun grand national of sorts) would be cool as all hell? lol

1980 200sx

1980black200sx.jpg

Good thinking... the '86 came with a VG30E so why the hell not. (VG30DETT anyone?)

You know I never cared for the looks of them, mainly because they are rust bucket junkers up here. But that black one in the above picture is sweet.

For some reason I dislike V-6's. Some years ago I took a Z32 twin turbo for a test drive after giving it a wheel alignment. I don't know that it was modified and I've had my share of fast cars. That car was ridiculous! :eek: I know the VG is a great motor but I like the fours, and don't need the power that the VG is capable of.:lol:

Anyway some more shots ...

200sxblack.jpg

200sxblack2.jpg

Check this apparently a small number of convertible s110's exist

200sxcovertable.jpg

Got some important parts for the 200sx, with mucho thanks to LenRobertson and Datzenmike.

P1010250.jpg

I doubled up on hood scoops and chrome bumpers inserts. Figured it wouldn't hurt to have extras. The headlight surrounds are pretty fragile and cracked, but I will do my best to figure out a way to make them work. If all else fails they'll serve as a good model to fabricate some new surrounds. If anyone has any experience working with this plastic (or knows what this particular plastic is) please let me know. I have one surround extra and will/can experiment on it.

P1010256.jpg

This is my distributor, Mike sent me one with a good shaft and a lot less sludge.

P1010254.jpg

Close up of the crack on the surrounds.:confused:

P1010244.jpg

My old dizzy, check the gaps:eek: Nice and chewed up

P1010237.jpg

P1010220.jpg

:eek: See the loose ball bearing.

I will have a go at rebuilding this dizzy for a back up. Actually for use in my truck it needs EI.

Well the 200 is close to running good. Installed the new dizzy and I've got it idling (once warm), it's a bit rough and a bit advanced. I'll replace the Air and fuel filters soon and see if that helps. Pretty sure the previous owner fiddled with the idle screw and TPS so it may take some tweaking. Otherwise it jumps up the rpm's fast and sounds good.

I planned to PM you, but I'll let you know here instead - I found a fender rear chrome piece a couple of days ago (passenger side). I see why these are missing from SXs. They are chromed plastic with a couple of plastic tits sticking out of the back to hold them to the fender. The first trip through a car wash would probably send them into orbit. I broke one tit when I removed the piece, but found the broken part. More for you to practice plastic repair. I have a feeling this fender piece would be better attached with silicone or weatherstrip cement or similar. I'll try to mail it tomorrow or Mon.

As to the matchbox dizzy - I've passed up a couple of these at Upull due to worn top bushing. I'm pretty sure it is a bushing, although there is supposed to be a plastic plate with balls under there somewhere too. Do you have Jason's dizzy page? I can find it and post if you don't. Either on his page or a link from it was info on rebushing. But I can't find a source for new bushings. They may be out there somewhere and even easy to find, but the info has escaped me.

Do I recall you may need a front fender? The car I got the chrome piece from may have two good ones, but the obvious problems are things like the fenders are big, heavy, and we are on opposite sides of the US. I hope you found a fender, but let me know if you are skunked there on the E Coast. I think the build date on the car was 12/81, so it would be titled as an '82, and may be different from your car. The headlight surrounds look different.

Len

Yeah those chrome pieces were missing on my car, the two mike has, yours. Just a bad design, I think we all suspected as much. Tell you what hold onto that one and if you come across the drivers ship em. I'm in no rush. I actually thought about getting the chrome that runs across the back of the hood and cutting/reshaping to fit the fenders. This might even be better as it's not plastic.

Yeah sounds like the fenders you found are for an 82-83. They had different bumpers and headlight surrounds. So no good. Right now the lowest price I can find on a fender is around 150. after shipping from OEM surplus.

I have found a few bushings options on the online parts look-ups. In fact three. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php Go here and look up a 1980 200sx distributor bushings ... three options. Not sure which to get. Once I take it apart I hope it will be clear.

Otherwise, I'll drop by the dealership and ante up. I have checked out several web pages on rebuilding, not sure which is which, can't hurt to have a link.

Thanks Len

Front RH fender molding 63860 N8201

Front LH fender molding 63861 N8201

Suggested retail $29.80

Dealer net $17.78

56. gets both shipped from nissanparts.cc, if all else fails.:) Thanks

By the way, you have two 200sx parts cars. Surely, you could build one smoking black 200sx out of the wreckage. :lol:

Here is the dizzy rebuild site I was thinking of:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050205191114/www.jrdemers.com/280ZX/distributor/distributor.html He refers to selling bushings, but since the page is on web.archive, I'm not sure he still has them available.That Rockauto source is a great find. Let us know if one of the ones they have works for your dizzy. I should tear into one of mine and help figure this out, but I'm back working now and don't have as much time as I did in the winter. Maybe you can become the resident expert here at Ratsun on dizzy rebushing and plastic repair.

Len

Yeah that is a good site, I will be referring to it. I will do my best on the dizzy.

Looks like JBweld may be the ticket on the plastic. It seems to be holding. I can work on the back side (hidden) of the plastic and rough up the surface with a soldering iron, give it even more to latch onto. Did this to a plastic radiator and it lasted 5 years. :D I'll post picks before long.

my first car was an 81 200sx 5 speed, i had it back in 1988. back then parts were so easy to get. I loved that little car, all it needed was the inline 6 from a 280zx to be real fun.

it was a blast around town, but couldnt do much over 80 on the highway. mine was a burgandy color with gold trim down the sides.

Ihavnt seen one in a very long time